Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

T. rex had best theropod bite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I was watching a program other night on development and the larger of t rex's other night its very interesting.They were talking about what they need their front arms for.
    Turns out they believe from one study for mating,because of their bite ratio and power would possibly kill their mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What was the name of the programme? Was it Evolve by any chance?

Found an article from a couple of years back suggesting that the title of world's best biter may well belong to the marsupial 'lion' Thylacoleo carnifex.

thylacoleo-carnifex-01.jpg
    Image by Jeanette Muirhead

Galvasean wrote: »
    What was the name of the programme? Was it Evolve by any chance?

God i cant remember sorry,they showed the larger predators one which had a fan type on its back and they were trying to figure out if it was for cooling down or mating.
    I am looking for it now the actual program.I will post it if i find it :)

Fan on the back? Sounds like Spinosaurus

spinover3.jpg

Could well be Extreme Dinosaurs either. I seem to recall that had Spinosaurus in it.

• Advertisement

Fan on the back? Sounds like Spinosaurus

spinover3.jpg

Could well be Extreme Dinosaurs either. I seem to recall that had Spinosaurus in it.

Thats the one they had on it yes,thanks.
    They were looking into their front arms and the fan how it was used very interesting.They were working off the possibility that it used to walk on all four and their arms shrank when they stood up right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dinosaur Secrets on the History Channel?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Dinosaur Secrets on the History Channel?

Thats the one :cool: Thanks :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

caseyann wrote: »
    Thats the one :cool: Thanks :)

Only seen one or two so far, have a whole series on the NTL box that need a watching at some stage.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Only seen one or two so far, have a whole series on the NTL box that need a watching at some stage.

With been busy and then been asleep i tend to be missing alot of them then search online for the episode.I dont have that NTL box :(

• Advertisement

Spinosaurus was in Dinosaur Secrets? Wasn't that just Jurassic Fight Club rebranded? I don't recall there being Spinosaurus in it.
    caseyann wrote:
    They were working off the possibility that it used to walk on all four and their arms shrank when they stood up right.

Quadrupedalism in spinosaurs is based on a very old theory. When Baryonx was discovered scientists guessed that it amy have been partially quadrupedal like a modern bear based on it's unusually long arms. It was believed to be a unique type of theropod dinosaur. It was not until much later when Baryonx was shown to be a member of the spinosaur family (spinosaurs having previously thought to have been closely related to Acrocanthosaurus due to the fact that they both had spines) that the quadrupedal idea was more or less dropped.

Spinosaurus was in Dinosaur Secrets? Wasn't that just Jurassic Fight Club rebranded? I don't recall there being Spinosaurus in it.

Quadrupedalism in spinosaurs is based on a very old theory. When Baryonx was discovered scientists guessed that it amy have been partially quadrupedal like a modern bear based on it's unusually long arms. It was believed to be a unique type of theropod dinosaur. It was not until much later when Baryonx was shown to be a member of the spinosaur family (spinosaurs having previously thought to have been closely related to Acrocanthosaurus due to the fact that they both had spines) that the quadrupedal idea was more or less dropped.

Thanks for that :)
    The Baryonx is one scary looking one,but amazing to think it walked planet.Imagine man and them living same time.

Baryonx lived in England. So keep looking :)

Advertisement