Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History's in the Past ... the verdict (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SEInvincible

pbowenroe wrote: »
    The way I went about answering that question was to just talk bout why it failed. Dunno 'bout anyone else.

i like your style. some waffler's on this .

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

kfpt wrote: »
    to anyone saying that they wrote 9 pages and 7 pages on each essay..cut the crap..you cant possibly write that much info on a topic without wafflng like and idiot....and you would even have time to do that its only 2 hours 50 mins!!!!!...3.5 on each essay and 2 for the contextualisation is enough!!

Ok yes 9 pages is a bit excessive, but I was able to write about 5 pages in about 35 mins. I'm not bragging or anything, but some people are able to just write faster. So if they knew exactly what they were going to write, they woulda been able to get a good few pages. It works for some and not for others/

For the question about Sunningdale, when it said what were the difficulties of implementing Sunningdale, I took that to mean actually putting in place the agreement with the various problems and such. Didn't go into how it failed or mention the strike or anything, will I lose marks for that?

Eh, possibly but I'd say that u'd only be penalised a bit. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Ah it's all History now! Just like the Anglo Irish relations, we've split up and I'm delighted! :)
    (Don't get me wrong, I love History, but the course is as fat as Henry 8!)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Mwahaha!

And as serious as deValera!
    (A poor one....oh well, I tried! :D)

• Advertisement

Mwahaha!

And as serious as deValera!
    (A poor one....oh well, I tried! :D)

haha! true, but it's the thought that counts! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tony1130

- Partition 4.5 pages
    - Church State Relations 2.5 pages but i mentioned pretty much everyting there is to say
    - Cuba,Korea,Berlin only 1.80 pages :( i mentioned a lot in it but i was running out of time & didnt even get time to go bk to documents to do Q4 :(
    despite my short cuba essay and not doin Q 4 id say im a definite C either c1 c2 c3 wit a gd project

its physically impossible to around 20 a4 unless ur handwriting is 3x normal size... or ur arm is bionic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

orlabobs wrote: »
    Eh, possibly but I'd say that u'd only be penalised a bit. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Yeah, you're right, thanks. Nice to have it over and done with anyway!

Tony1130 wrote: »
    - Partition 4.5 pages
    - Church State Relations 2.5 pages but i mentioned pretty much everyting there is to say
    - Cuba,Korea,Berlin only 1.80 pages :( i mentioned a lot in it but i was running out of time & didnt even get time to go bk to documents to do Q4 :(
    despite my short cuba essay and not doin Q 4 id say im a definite C either c1 c2 c3 wit a gd project

its physically impossible to around 20 a4 unless ur handwriting is 3x normal size... or ur arm is bionic :cool:

U didn't do document? oh dear. well no worries! :) but it's not impossible to do around 20 a4 pages. I was just a page and a half after finishing the booklet. It just depends on how fast you write and what you know really. Did you find the q's hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I screwed up bad, very bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I didnt think it was too bad. I think I did well enough. Remember your project will pull you up a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

the only study i did was 6am-9am this morning.........and im higher level........didnt do case studies there only 40 marks and you can get 15 of those with waffle............i only learned 1 chapter the first chapter of my european history book......the chapter about lenin/stalin...........i did 6 and a half pages on topic 2 question 2 and 2 pages on topic 3 question 2.......both about the chapter i did............i should get at least 80 marks for my first one and 50 for my 2nd.....70 for the essay i sent off and 70 for the document question........thats 270/500 which is 54%..............

yes 3 hours study gets you 54% in higher lv...........i actually have studied for pretty much every exam the night before or on the day........its the lc guys not the olympics........just consume a load of energy drinks and nutri grain bars and supercram right before the exam.........even goldfish could pass everything if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

denballs wrote: »
    the only study i did was 6am-9am this morning.........and im higher level........didnt do case studies there only 40 marks and you can get 15 of those with waffle............i only learned 1 chapter the first chapter of my european history book......the chapter about lenin/stalin...........i did 6 and a half pages on topic 2 question 2 and 2 pages on topic 3 question 2.......both about the chapter i did............i should get at least 80 marks for my first one and 50 for my 2nd.....70 for the essay i sent off and 70 for the document question........thats 270/500 which is 54%..............

yes 3 hours study gets you 54% in higher lv...........i actually have studied for pretty much every exam the night before or on the day........its the lc guys not the olympics........just consume a load of energy drinks and nutri grain bars and supercram right before the exam.........even goldfish could pass everything if they do

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

But what if you want to do well? Not much point just "passing" the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It was appallingly bad. I spent way too much time on the Documents, which was my best question. Wrote two pages on Stalin, just over one page on the Eucharistic Congress and three paragraphs on the Moon Landings.

Awful, just awful. The less said about it the better. If I'd known history was such a bitch, I'd never have taken it.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    But what if you want to do well? Not much point just "passing" the LC.

oh well some of us dont need the lc to get a place in any uni we chose.......

It was appallingly bad. I spent way too much time on the Documents, which was my best question. Wrote two pages on Stalin, just over one page on the Eucharistic Congress and three paragraphs on the Moon Landings.

Awful, just awful. The less said about it the better. If I'd known history was such a bitch, I'd never have taken it.

jesus .........you should do 2 pages on the documents in like 15 minutes then do at the very least a four page essay and try do 2+ pages on the rest..........and thats the minimum........and thats coming from me who only studied this mornin and slept or listened to music in class all year

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

history was one of the things i regretted doing. interesting but the exam is very hard

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Connie Bah

Quality, not quantity people ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

Happy enough with it, I reckon I'll come out with a C or there abouts. Most people found it pretty dire and some will definately be repeating due to the History exam.

Can't really complain, I've winged the whole Leaving Cert, so a C is better than a E (which I probably deserve) in most subjects for the lack of work I put in. Lets just say if the Leaving Cert was based on continuous assessment I'd be well failed.

How the Unionist Party dealt with challenges posed by Nationalist Minority - 2.5 pages.

Successive German Governments reponse to social and economic problems 1920 - 1939 - 3 pages.

Successes and Failures of Lyndon B. Johnson - 3 pages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fuzzel

kfpt wrote: »
    or there talkn crap..its not even done in that much detail on the book ffs!
    Exactly, for part of my revision I wrote out a load of information on some topics in relatively concise English, and in general I ran out of information around the 4 pages mark. So how do you turn 4 pages of actual information into an 8 page essay? If not by waffling.

Anyone who got an A1 in history previously care to share how much they wrote? (if they can remember, I'm already forgetting after the exam this afternoon XD)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

fuzzel wrote: »
    Exactly, for part of my revision I wrote out a load of information on some topics in relatively concise English, and in general I ran out of information around the 4 pages mark. So how do you turn 4 pages of actual information into an 8 page essay? If not by waffling.

Anyone who got an A1 in history previously care to share how much they wrote? (if they can remember, I'm already forgetting after the exam this afternoon XD)

If you've learnt more from other sources and differennt history books...
    in alll these topics there's hundreds and hundreds of pages on these topics that could be wrote... but we have to have the main point, youre rewarded if u go into detail...
    Personally and generally the concesus is that 4 pages is the minimum for to get good marks in an essay, but there are allways exceptions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Just wondering about today. Just a bit worried with what I did!!
    Europe-5 pages on the German governments. Just talked about Hitler though
    American-5 pages on the Vietnam War basically.
    Irish- did the first question on the partition of ireland. did this essay on small bit of home rule and the rising but most of it on Sinn Fein. Ran out of time so only did 3 pages. Very rushed.
    Sunningdale- Answered all questions on it. 2 pages for the Q4. What i did was it totally wrong or is it ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Just wondering about today. Just a bit worried with what I did!!
    Europe-5 pages on the German governments. Just talked about Hitler though
    American-5 pages on the Vietnam War basically.
    Irish- did the first question on the partition of ireland. did this essay on small bit of home rule and the rising but most of it on Sinn Fein. Ran out of time so only did 3 pages. Very rushed.
    Sunningdale- Answered all questions on it. 2 pages for the Q4. What i did was it totally wrong or is it ok?

That seems ok, in the essays you dont have to give equal amounts of information on things, you can only mention something...

But what does it matter now as the exam is doen now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

hokeypokey wrote: »
    That seems ok, in the essays you dont have to give equal amounts of information on things, you can only mention something...

But what does it matter now as the exam is doen now!

ya in the irish essay i only mentioned a couple of lines on home rule and the rising..it was very rushed though..the examiner wouldnt give me an extra second...shud i still get a good enough mark for it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

denballs wrote: »
    jesus .........you should do 2 pages on the documents in like 15 minutes then do at the very least a four page essay and try do 2+ pages on the rest..........and thats the minimum........and thats coming from me who only studied this mornin and slept or listened to music in class all year

Well it's not much use saying that now! I HONESTLY wouldn't worry too much, you're not the only one in the country who messed up, and you'll still get some marks for writing down facts. Also, that was 80%, you've completed a project worth 20% that I'm sure went much better, which will definitely pull up your grade.

And yeah it's grand to get a D and pass an exam when you're cramming over night... but when you're actually working really hard for a subject it's like splitting hairs to work your way up from a B3 upwards... like a few small blips and your A1 or even A2 is gone and suddenly you're down ten or fifteen points. The higher you're aiming the harder it gets, it frustrates me when people are like ''well yeah I could easily get six hundred points if I WANTED to''

Oh it all History now! But like a historian, lets have a look back. How did everyone feel? I'm getting mixed vibes. I personally thought it was a nice paper. But I'm the only one doing history in my school so It's hard to say what other people think.

I did anglo-irish relations
    Church state relations
    Economy

what did everyone else do? how do you feel about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You guys got Church State?

LUCKY! I still remember the essay I memorised from last year... :pac:

Honestly guys History always looks really bad, ask any year that had it (last years paper was insane, did they give you guys weird essay titles?), but come results day you may all be pleasantly surprised. The RSR/ Documents question helps a lot. As long as you put a good effort in you can all be proud.

Denballs, I hope you remembered your spelling and punctuation in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

orlabobs wrote: »
    Oh it all History now! But like a historian, lets have a look back. How did everyone feel? I'm getting mixed vibes. I personally thought it was a nice paper. But I'm the only one doing history in my school so It's hard to say what other people think.

I did anglo-irish relations
    Church state relations
    Economy

what did everyone else do? how do you feel about it?

I thought it was the most perfect paper I have ever set my eyes upon! Everything I studied came up so I was delighted :) And the questions were quite easily phrased! Though I didn't get time to do Question 3 of the document.
    The essays I did were ;
    - Cosgrave and DeValera's handling of anglo-irish relations.
    - Bismarck and Wilhelms impact on the balance of power [or however that question was phrased :P]
    - Josef Stalin's internal and external affairs.

I just hope I paid enough attention to what the question was actually asking me though :)
    But all in all, I am delighted!
    Finally it's over!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

fuzzel wrote: »

I got an A1 in the mocks if that counts and only wrote 3.5 to 4 pages for each one. It doesn't matter whether you only write a few pages or a million once you write it well.

Advertisement