Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History's in the Past ... the verdict (merged)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Thought it was a grand paper overall. Didn't have a lot to say about Stalin's external policy, and I basically turned the Johnson essay into a Vietnam essay with some successes at the end, but I think I answered the question alright so I'm happy. The Sunningdale and Anglo Irish relations Qs were lovely.
    Did everyone say DeV was better ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

I got very lucky with History today. I only studied:

CnaG + FF.
    Anglo-American Pop culture.
    American boom.
    5 mins on Sunningdale.

And they all came up. If one of them didn't come up.. well.. I didn't have any back up, apart from maybe 2 pages of BS.

Overall got very lucky. And guys, I've written essays that are only 4 pages long and got A's in them. So don't bother saying "Oh I wrote 10 pages on each essay". Quality not quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kiwi205

ceol18 wrote: »
    im the exact same, only i knew italy and not germany!! haaha...wrote what i knew on mussolini and bluffed hitler :/

yay i'm not the only one so! :D i really need an A 1 in history to get points! overall was an ok paper :D and thank u zam :) i feel better now! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    I wrote 9 pages on Parnell in land reform and Home Rule
    3.5 or 4.5 (cant remember) on society + economy WW1
    7 pages on society + economy Germany WW2
    But when it came to documents Q I didn have time. Done the answers on documents badly, and wrote bullet points about Sunningdale
    I am delighted with how I done, although I was suprised and dissapointed at how I learnt loads of things that have never been asked, and they STILL weren't asked this year :/
    I am expecting an A :)
    Stop writing comments bragging about the amount you wrote and go back to making hilariously embarrassing videos that we can all laugh at.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

theowen wrote: »

yeah i did... i totally forgot about cosgrave cause i was getting into it and wrote loads on dev and then i had to squeeze in a bit of cosgrave :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

That was a bit odd, I had no idea what to say! Was in a bit of a rush so didn't technically answer the question properly, just wrote down everything with a bit of "..that was a great policy on cosgrave's part....a success of de valera's anglo-irish policy..." etc :P Hopefully it'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

History isn't my strong point so I did 3 pages on Johnson, 3 pages on Germanys Management of their Problems and scraped together 2 on how the Eucharistic Congress affected Ireland. Did 1 page of solid stuff on the document question and would be pleased with a "C". Do you guys reckon I should be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I thought it was glorious. Sunningdale Q was grand, I did RTE for the Irish Q, knew it perfect, 3.5 pages of excellence, knew Stalin back to front, wrote 4 pages, and did the Hungary etc question in D&R, wrote 4 more. Lovely!! Everything I studied came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

For church state relations what did people write about for Hitler?

I'm pretty lucky that the essays I crammed today came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

johnb03 wrote: »
    History isn't my strong point so I did 3 pages on Johnson, 3 pages on Germanys Management of their Problems and scraped together 2 on how the Eucharistic Congress affected Ireland. Did 1 page of solid stuff on the document question and would be pleased with a "C". Do you guys reckon I should be alright?
    Assuming your project was decent and you got most of the documents marks, I'd say yeah, you should be grand for a C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

Assuming your project was decent and you got most of the documents marks, I'd say yeah, you should be grand for a C.
    Cheers man..

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

european history was rough . . . did johnson for american history mostly wrote about vietnam tho :eek: ah well IM FINISHED NOW ... FOREVERRRRRR!
    SUM BUZZZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I am soooo happy!
    Last year I couldn't even answer the doc q but this year I did a whole paper!!:D
    Irish: Parnell (he's an absolute legend!)
    European: Church/state but I did 2 pages on mussolini and 1&1/2 page on Hitler so...prob not the best
    America: Foreign policy!
    I did 3 1/2 pgs to 4 on all the essays and 2 pgs for q4 on the doc.
    It doesn't sound like a lot but my writing is tiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Fionaxoxox wrote: »
    Delighted with the paper! All the things I hoped would come up came up! I did:

Irish: Cosgrave and DeValera: Anglo-Irish Relations
    D & D :Church-State Relations
    USA: American Economic Boom

So happy it is over with! :) I wonder what I will get....

Wrote about 6-7 pages on each.

Good God....do you have big writing, or do you leave big spaces between words?! All I've ever managed is 3 pages per topic and 4 on the documents, I do have quite small writing though...but still! How do you get the time? Ye're like superwomen!! :confused: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I was lucky for the most part today.... Expected to fail and actually passed 40-50% - delighted..

I LOVE YOU HISTORY!

• theowen wrote: »
    Yeah I said he took more daring steps but that the economic war was badly handled and it was still important to acknowledge Cosgrave's success in obtaining the Statute of Westminister.

I thought it was a dreadful paper at first-but I started on my favourite question "The Moon Landings" and by the time I got to my least favourite "How governments in Germany dealt with social and economic problems 1920-1939" it wasn't my least favourite question anymore!
    Remembered Gustav Stresemann's name, which helped with everything really... :) For a while all I remembered was Gustav, which wouldn't have gone down too well...calling him only by his first name... :P

And I finished everything in the last minute! That was the biggie for me, it's so long and there's so little time I sometimes don't get stuff finished! Plus, slow writer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

to anyone saying that they wrote 9 pages and 7 pages on each essay..cut the crap..you cant possibly write that much info on a topic without wafflng like and idiot....and you would even have time to do that its only 2 hours 50 mins!!!!!...3.5 on each essay and 2 for the contextualisation is enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

I said W.T Cosgrave cause he used the good relations more to his advantage and Dev was a bit more flukey. But by the end of it I was more leaning towards dev...

It was a lovely paper though! I only wrote about 3.5 pages each but anymore then that and I'd start talking crap and my hand would fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

kfpt wrote: »
    to anyone saying that they wrote 9 pages and 7 pages on each essay..cut the crap..you cant possibly write that much info on a topic without wafflng like and idiot....and you would even have time to do that its only 2 hours 50 mins!!!!!...3.5 on each essay and 2 for the contextualisation is enough!!

Some people have massive writing! 3.5 is deffo enough but I wrote a lot more only because as the exam goes on my writing gets bigger and bigger and bigger :P Some people in my exam centre were asking for extra paper after the first forty minutes though! That scared me...

• Advertisement

Emmpty wrote: »
    I said W.T Cosgrave cause he used the good relations more to his advantage and Dev was a bit more flukey. But by the end of it I was more leaning towards dev...

It was a lovely paper though! I only wrote about 3.5 pages each but anymore then that and I'd start talking crap and my hand would fall off.

I feel your pain!!!!!

I don't know how people could write more than 4 pages on everything to be honest, there really, really isn't time for that. Mine were about 3-4 and roughly seven paragraphs in each? Worried about paragraphs, actually...knew they should be shorter but how can you break up one point in two?!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

kfpt wrote: »

I did 27/28 pages together and noe of mine wasnt waffle. i id the partition 1912-1920, germany 1920-1939 and vietnam. I wrote 7 for each and nearly 3 pages for the contextualisation. There was that much in germany and partition i had to leave important things out. There was a tiny bit of waffle in my LBJ question...

• hokeypokey wrote: »
    I did 27/28 pages together and noe of mine wasnt waffle. i id the partition 1912-1920, germany 1920-1939 and vietnam. I wrote 7 for each and nearly 3 pages for the contextualisation. There was that much in germany and partition i had to leave important things out. There was a tiny bit of waffle in my LBJ question...
    How many words do you get to the line?! I thought I had big writing...

zam wrote: »
    Some people have massive writing! 3.5 is deffo enough but I wrote a lot more only because as the exam goes on my writing gets bigger and bigger and bigger :P Some people in my exam centre were asking for extra paper after the first forty minutes though! That scared me...
    .even so 9 pages ye must be only getiing 4 words on a line!?!?!?!

well mayb my wrtings small i dunno...yer exam booklets must be really small....ours are massive...diddnt even fill it in english

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

27-28 pages is impossible :eek:

How do you do it?

hokeypokey wrote: »

thats nearly 3 times what ur expected to write .....how many words on a line is that??..4??

27-28 pages is impossible :eek:

How do you do it?

Have to agree with you there, don't understand how it can physically be done in 2hours 50mins....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

I feel your pain!!!!!

I don't know how people could write more than 4 pages on everything to be honest, there really, really isn't time for that. Mine were about 3-4 and roughly seven paragraphs in each? Worried about paragraphs, actually...knew they should be shorter but how can you break up one point in two?!

Don't worry about the paragraphs the examiner will break them up for you.

Yeah I physically can't write more then 4 pages. Maybe people who write more have things learned off?

Yeah I physically can't write more then 4 pages. Maybe people who write more have things learned off?

Thanks! Lost a load of marks in the mocks because the examiner didn't break up anything, been worried about paragraphs ever since as a result... :o

• Advertisement

or there talkn crap..its not even done in that much detail on the book ffs!

Advertisement