Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History's in the Past ... the verdict (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Solidarity

Ah yes, the infamous History paper. I well remember mine from two years ago.
    Terribley traumatic. Hated modern history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Same here and there's little I can do to fix it. I didn't do any work for it, and now I regret it.... deeply. But on the brighter side, I'm not going to worry too much about it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

Same here and there's little I can do to fix it. I didn't do any work for it, and now I regret it.... deeply. But on the brighter side, I'm not going to worry too much about it at this stage.

haha You're bright side is funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Case study for HL was grand except for Q4.

Who else thought the Essay q's for the Impact of Partition were really hard?

Not a bad paper though! Predictions were fairly accurate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It was pretty sweet alright!
    I thought Q4 on Sunningdale was okay! And at least there were no difficult questions
    Did Anglo-Irish for S&P, happy with that!
    Delighted with Hitler and Mussolini Church-State relations question, it was lovely!
    And as for the US economic boom... Oh wow :P

Anyway I feel pretty satisfied and I'm glad that's over and done with, t'will be smooth sailing from here onwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Quite frankly I'm chuffed with the paper, wrote about 11-14 paragraphs on each topic and 3 pages on the q4 on document! :)
    and the economy came up and church state relations! :)
    I'm a very happy woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

It was a lovely paper. I did Johnson, Stalin and the lead up to partition. The only real tricky part was the external factors for Stalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

how many pages did people write for their essays??
    i loves the paper, was writing to the last second.
    the essays for sov+par were hard as someone already said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cleirigh06

I wrote 9 pages on Parnell in land reform and Home Rule
    3.5 or 4.5 (cant remember) on society + economy WW1
    7 pages on society + economy Germany WW2
    But when it came to documents Q I didn have time. Done the answers on documents badly, and wrote bullet points about Sunningdale
    I am delighted with how I done, although I was suprised and dissapointed at how I learnt loads of things that have never been asked, and they STILL weren't asked this year :/
    I am expecting an A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im glad it went all well for you.

I didnt like the paper really, had to improvise a bit, none of my stuff really came up.
    But I go through i did have time to do the last europe questions just got the introduction down:(

But sure another done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    I am delighted with how I done, although I was suprised and dissapointed at how I learnt loads of things that have never been asked, and they STILL weren't asked this year :/
    Same here.

I was still very happy with the paper and have high hopes for an A or at least a B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

zam wrote: »
    It was pretty sweet alright!
    I thought Q4 on Sunningdale was okay! And at least there were no difficult questions
    Did Anglo-Irish for S&P, happy with that!
    Delighted with Hitler and Mussolini Church-State relations question, it was lovely!
    And as for the US economic boom... Oh wow :P

Anyway I feel pretty satisfied and I'm glad that's over and done with, t'will be smooth sailing from here onwards :)
    Same with me. I literally giggled with joy when I read through it first:)

Here's hoping for a B1+. (I'm saying B1 for everything I might get an A in just to be safe)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

History was graaand. Parnell, Stalin and Johnson you lovely , lovely people. The Document was dead handy. Question 4 was a dream come true. Although that was the most tense exam ever. I was roasting and feverish and felt so sick. Glad to be home :D:D:D

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    I wrote 9 pages on Parnell in land reform and Home Rule
    3.5 or 4.5 (cant remember) on society + economy WW1
    7 pages on society + economy Germany WW2
    But when it came to documents Q I didn have time. Done the answers on documents badly, and wrote bullet points about Sunningdale

Let us know how that goes for ya. seriously when on 15 august you get your result tell me. sounds legendary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

eucharistic congress was a BEAUT, roundabout vietnam one was grand-ish, the docuement was a load of waffle as per usual, but i fell down on my dictatorship question, i learnt mussolini and fascism TO A TEE, and then the only q that came up involved hitler too...so i wrote what i knew about mussolini, and totally improvised on hitler, it was church-state relations and i went on about how he thought he was a god :/:/
    i was hoping for a B but now i'm not so sure

EDIT: i did 5 on eucharistic cong, 4 on musso/hitler, and 4.5 on johnson :/ although it really doesn't matter about length tbh, quality not quantity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

orlabobs wrote: »
    Quite frankly I'm chuffed with the paper, wrote about 11-14 paragraphs on each topic and 3 pages on the q4 on document!

So this bionic arm of yours, was it expensive or? :p

Mwah wrote: »
    how many pages did people write for their essays??
    i loves the paper, was writing to the last second.
    the essays for sov+par were hard as someone already said
    It really does depend on the size of your writing though. And the 9-12 pages could be absolute garbage ya know? I wrote about 5 A4 on stalin, 2.5 A4 on Parnell and and 3 A4 on Johnson and a page for contextualisation. And my writing's small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fionaxoxox

Delighted with the paper! All the things I hoped would come up came up! I did:

Irish: Cosgrave and DeValera: Anglo-Irish Relations
    D & D :Church-State Relations
    USA: American Economic Boom

So happy it is over with! :) I wonder what I will get....

Wrote about 6-7 pages on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I got pretty lucky with the questions that came up.. Church-state relations I sorta knew and just brought in about Anti-Semitism in the exam for most of it..

Johnson was literally the only thing I knew for US history.. Only got onto my third page when the exam was over..

Didn't even attempt Irish History..

Overall, not happy but I got fairly lucky all the same..

ceol18 wrote: »
    eucharistic congress was a BEAUT, roundabout vietnam one was grand-ish, the docuement was a load of waffle as per usual, but i fell down on my dictatorship question, i learnt mussolini and fascism TO A TEE, and then the only q that came up involved hitler too...so i wrote what i knew about mussolini, and totally improvised on hitler, it was church-state relations and i went on about how he thought he was a god :/:/
    i was hoping for a B but now i'm not so sure
    If you didn't write a good essay on Hitler you'll just get marked out of 50 instead of 60. Could well get a B3+ :D

• Advertisement

When people say 12 pages do they mean 6 A4 back to back or literally 12 a4 back to back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kiwi205

i was going grand until i got to the european section! i learned church state relations for germany but not for italy cos all the sample papers in the exam papers said church state relations in germany and/or italy! so i kinda briefly mentioned the lateran treaty said it was signed in 1926 when it was actually sigend in 1929 said mussolini signed it with pope pius the 11th and pretty much wrote the rest of the essay about germany! i said mussolini was atheist but that's about it although my germany church state relations bit was good.....do u think i could still get an A1 or will i lose a lot of marks for pretty much writing my essay on germany while briefly mentioning mussolini?

theowen wrote: »
    If you didn't write a good essay on Hitler you'll just get marked out of 50 instead of 60. Could well get a B3+ :D

do they do that?? i suppose that wouldn't be so bad...there's the project too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 madraglic

i did terrible!! division and realignment questions were horrible!!!!
    struggled in contrasting de valera and cosgrave on anglo-irish relations!!!
    aced church state relations!!!....thankfully
    as for the documents........eh...... at least it was sunningdale

was hopin for B1 say i got a C1..... fairly disappointed and had to listen to my delighted friends!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Really not happy..

Spent far too long on the documents.. 90 mins

Got 4 pages of waffle for Mussolini & Hitler

Got 2.5 pages of summarised notes on Johnson

Irish History was left blank..

kiwi205 wrote: »
    i was going grand until i got to the european section! i learned church state relations for germany but not for italy cos all the sample papers in the exam papers said church state relations in germany and/or italy! so i kinda briefly mentioned the lateran treaty said it was signed in 1926 when it was actually sigend in 1929 said mussolini signed it with pope pius the 11th and pretty much wrote the rest of the essay about germany! i said mussolini was atheist but that's about it although my germany church state relations bit was good.....do u think i could still get an A1 or will i lose a lot of marks for pretty much writing my essay on germany while briefly mentioning mussolini?

im the exact same, only i knew italy and not germany!! haaha...wrote what i knew on mussolini and bluffed hitler :/

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

kiwi205 wrote: »

You can still get an A1. You did mention him, which is all that's required! It sounds pretty good too.

ceol18 wrote: »
    do they do that?? i suppose that wouldn't be so bad...there's the project too
    Oh I was trying to cheer you up...sorry. But if you get 50 out of 50 from what you wrote you could get 30 out of 40 from the over all grade!

Thought it was a grand paper overall. Didn't have a lot to say about Stalin's external policy, and I basically turned the Johnson essay into a Vietnam essay with some successes at the end, but I think I answered the question alright so I'm happy. The Sunningdale and Anglo Irish relations Qs were lovely.

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    Oh I was trying to cheer you up...sorry. But if you get 50 out of 50 from what you wrote you could get 30 out of 40 from the over all grade!

i know sorry haha i didn't mean to sound pissed off haha! well that's alright i suppose, was just initially really pissed off about it seeing as i knew fascism so well! but hey it's over now :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement