Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent Band Opportunities / News

• 03-03-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Iggy

Hello all

I thought that we could have a thread where people can post possible opportunites for independant bands and share knowledge that posters found which spread awareness of how to promote or break out their band.

I'll go first:

Knockanstockan (an indie band festival) are taking submissions at the moment. Guidelines are here

2fm Undercurrents is a project giving unsigned bands a chance to have thier music palyed on The Gerry Ryan show. See here for more details

Storm The Charts is an upcoming project based on the "Get Rage to Number 1" premise. It aims to get 40 unsigned bands into the charts for June. This is fairly breaking news but you can read more about it here

Anyone else found something noteworthy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ldee

cool iggy

nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I concur with the above post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

good idea for a thread. will sticky this and update / delete opportunities as they expire

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Sea Sessions Band Competition, at the festival in Bundoran. Details Here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Fandango wrote: »
    Sea Sessions Band Competition, at the festival in Bundoran. Details Here

That looks quality! Maybe next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

Hi, i have been involved with battle of the bands shercock, the only battle of the bands contest in ireland with a partnership with the glastonbury festival.

the contest is nearing the end and is held in a small cavan town call shercock in the sail inn pub. we have seen some amazing original irish artists over the past few weeks.
    The sail Inn supports original music and wants to give original bands a chance to bee seen. below are links to the sites associated with the sail inn. if you are in a band and wish to have a gig the contact number etc is found on below links.

facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/thesailinn

facebook group agianst exploitation of original bands/artists
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=101873246516220&ref=nf

myspace
    http://www.myspace.com/thesailinnshercock

http://www.myspace.com/shercockbandbattle

please join the facebook group if you would like to see original artist get better oppertunities and show support.

thanks for your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MTA

Owners of a commerical studio looking to work with some new innovative acts,possibly for free, to broaden our client list. Please send rough recordings or demos of your material to here More info on the studio can be found on our website and our myspace page

El Pr0n wrote: »
    That looks quality! Maybe next year :)
    Its great. We did it last year and had a ball. Didnt win but that didnt bother us too much, were just glad to play it. The festival itself is brilliant also. I hadnt even heard of it until the competition caught my eye but its a small enough festival with a few big bands and a great atmosphere.

Fandango wrote: »
    Its great. We did it last year and had a ball. Didnt win but that didnt bother us too much, were just glad to play it. The festival itself is brilliant also. I hadnt even heard of it until the competition caught my eye but its a small enough festival with a few big bands and a great atmosphere.
    MTA, sent a mail to the bookings address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Iggy

Guinness 'Our Thursdays'

From their site 'put your band forward for one of 300 local showcases that will be taking place over the course of July / early August'

Register here

Phantom Fm's I-Con Next Becks thing band competition

Link explains all

• Advertisement

€25,000 in prizes not to be sniffed at really by most bands www.nationalbotb.ie

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

miju wrote: »
    €25,000 in prizes not to be sniffed at really by most bands www.nationalbotb.ie

Just a word of warning, this contest does REQUIRE a 5£ entry fee.

Not that that is expensive, but just a heads-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 elhombre

fair play guys - that is a savage prize!

not sure about the audience vote thing though - it seems every BOTB is based on this structure these day, so whoever brings the most people wins - even if there's a split between the judges and the crowd.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Just a word of warning, this contest does REQUIRE a 5£ entry fee.

disclaimer: i'm very good friends with the organisers and am helping them out with this.

How and ever in fairness though €5 for the prizes that are on offer plus the stuff that all entrants receive is nothing really.
    elhombre wrote: »
    not sure about the audience vote thing though - it seems every BOTB is based on this structure these day, so whoever brings the most people wins - even if there's a split between the judges and the crowd.

Thats not neccesarily true, if you read through the structure. You'll see later rounds are more judge based than audience based.

However, it is what it is and thats the way most BOTB in this county are run, especially ones with big prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thanks for the heads up, miju. Good luck to everyone who signs up!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

miju wrote: »
    disclaimer: i'm very good friends with the organisers and am helping them out with this.

How and ever in fairness though €5 for the prizes that are on offer plus the stuff that all entrants receive is nothing really.

I agree... my only point is that, for people like me that don't have a credit card, this site asks for a credit card to register online...

either that or you have to email them an make other arrangements...

Most of these things don't; if you're in my position it's a nasty surprise.... that's all.

Like I said, it's not a lot of money... just not typical of the contests I've seen, so, heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭punkyfish

Just wanted to echoe another post of mine! Apologies if this doesnt flow with the thread! Just looking to get in touch with some people currently gigging!

cool.gif

New Dublin band just finishing up rehersals is looking for bands and promoters to set up and help us get out there!

The band is in the alternative rock vein, with a handful of covers and a few strong originals in the mix! Influences are many, but the sound is along the lines of Kerbdog, Biffy, Foos etc.

Couple of gigs lines up, but we'd like to line up a few more in the coming months!

Drop me a PM if you have space for an extra band on your bill over the next few months! We're keen to make some new connections in the scene!!

Lets make it a fun summer for everyone!

Cheers!biggrin.gif

Would love to help punkyfish but were going thru a bit of a transitional phase so wont be headlining for a month or so. Will give you a shout when we are back tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭billybenner

Do you have a link to some of your music, we having an Ep launch soon so we ll be looking for a support band, check us out www.myspace.com/24brokenamps
    punkyfish wrote: »
    Just wanted to echoe another post of mine! Apologies if this doesnt flow with the thread! Just looking to get in touch with some people currently gigging!

cool.gif

New Dublin band just finishing up rehersals is looking for bands and promoters to set up and help us get out there!

The band is in the alternative rock vein, with a handful of covers and a few strong originals in the mix! Influences are many, but the sound is along the lines of Kerbdog, Biffy, Foos etc.

Couple of gigs lines up, but we'd like to line up a few more in the coming months!

Drop me a PM if you have space for an extra band on your bill over the next few months! We're keen to make some new connections in the scene!!

Lets make it a fun summer for everyone!

Cheers!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Nice thread fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Agreed. Will let you know if i hear anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Hey guys,

Think this is a great thread and would like to add to it.

1. I'm a photographer and would like to offer my services - free of charge - to any Dublin bands. I'm available this week and next for shoots anywhere in Dublin City Centre. Check my stuff out HERE if you're interested. I need to bulk out my portfolio so it's win-win for everyone.

2. I'm also a DJ on 2xm. I co-present Two States which airs every Monday at 10 and Thursday at 8. We get live bands into the show every other week for a live session and interview. If you think you have what it takes, pm me with a link to your site/music.

Cheers,
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Just a heads up - I got a LOAD of emails from this thread (thank you all very much) and have already taken one band up on a photographic offer.

We have filled our slots on the show until the second week in October, so if I don't reply to you until closer to that time, I apologise now - I honestly didn't expect such a response. But we will continue to search for great talent in Ireland!

I realised we were being Dublin-centric, but that is no more!
    If you can't make it to Dublin, don't despair, just send an MP3 to myself (You can find my address on my site, or just pm me for it) and if we like what we hear, we'll put you in our 'Keep It Irish' section of the show. Send a press release to us too, so we can talk about your band (next shows, where you're from, a mission statement, etc. etc.)

The photographic oppertunity still stands however. I'm free this Monday, Thursday & Friday in Dublin City Centre!

Again, I hope we can help!

All the Best,

M

elhombre wrote: »
    fair play guys - that is a savage prize!

Agreed, i truely hate this form of deciding the winner as it is never the best band that goes through. Having said that, the prize is bloody brilliant so will definately be giving it a lash!

€5 entry fee is a pain as none of us have a credit card but once the alternative way is easy enough it doesnt bother me. Compared to certain other competitions (emergenza) its nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭niall1976

I'd be wary of applying to Nationalbotb.

I started a thread on it a couple of weeks ago. The website hasn't been updated and none of the heats appear to have taken place.

I have applied and have heard nothing back. A couple of others in the same boat. I've emailed them and musicnews.ie who are partners with no reply.

I know its only a €5 , but I think its pretty poor that the website is still accepting money/entries when it looks like nothing is happening.

It wouldn't take many entries to make the guys a few quid if its not going ahead.

Poor Form!!

niall1976 wrote: »

I started a thread on it a couple of weeks ago. The website hasn't been updated and none of the heats appear to have taken place.

I have applied and have heard nothing back. A couple of others in the same boat. I've emailed them and musicnews.ie who are partners with no reply.

I know its only a €5 , but I think its pretty poor that the website is still accepting money/entries when it looks like nothing is happening.

It wouldn't take many entries to make the guys a few quid if its not going ahead.

Poor Form!!
    I applied and emailed about 3-4 days ago and havent heard a word back yet either. Could be that they are under pressure as they are taking applications from all over the country but i dunno.

Is this the first year of this competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sylvester88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭niall1976

niall1976 wrote: »

Poor Form!!

I take it all back.

The guys behind the competition have posted a notice saying that the competition has been postponed till Jan 2011 due to personal cisrcumstances.

Watch this space.....

bandfortheday

Only joined this site in the last day or so but it looks very interesting. Its more or less a daily competition for bands internationally and the band who gets the most views and songs played daily get highlighted on the main page of the site. Sounds silly if the site has no members, i know but we won the day we joined and over 2 days now have about 1,100 views. It also allows you to design and sell merchandise on the site without having to pre-order and pay for it yourself which i have never seen before so i think well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

The only battle of the bands in ireland linked to the glastonbury festival returns early next year. now looking for bands to compete for the amazing prize of a guaranteed glastonbury gig! info at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68319946#post68319946

Advertisement