Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown-Cullahill Motorway (incl. Abbeyleix Bypass)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Last thursday evening i got from Newlands cross to just beyond the dunkettle interchange in 2 hours was pretty chuffed with that. on the way back on bank holiday monday was a bit more about 2.5 hours from dunkettle to the naas north exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The wooden partitions used on this scheme south west of Portlaoise... what happens in a few years when they rot and we get a gale? They should have planted hedging instead me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just drove it for the first time tonight around midnight. Very bumpy at the Portlaoise bypass tie-in, but not as bad as I had been fearing for the rest of the journey to the interchange and grand on the M8 section. It does seem tighter for whatever reason. I liked it. Looking forward to a daytime spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Haddockman wrote: »
    They need planning permission for such advertisements. I doubt any of them bothered.

No they don't. In the eyes of the law as it stands it's a trailer parked in a field.

Don't particularly see the problem with them to be honest.

Danno wrote: »
    The wooden partitions used on this scheme south west of Portlaoise... what happens in a few years when they rot and we get a gale? They should have planted hedging instead me thinks.

In this country, why plant living wood when you can stick dead wood into the ground? There are lots of ephemeral wooden barriers along the whole of the M8...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Travelled the M7 from Borris to Naas and back just now. Traffic was very light until the M8 merge. Most traffic seems to be still using the old road via Mountrath. The surface from the M8 diverge to J21 is very bumpy indeed. Did no one use a level when laying the surface?

The old Cullohill roundabout has had it's tar and kerbs broken up and everything covered in topsoil. They are some gombeens for doing this. It'd be nearly half a junction in place if they ever decide to open a J2.

J3a surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The old Cullohill roundabout has had it's tar and kerbs broken up and everything covered in topsoil. They are some gombeens for doing this. It'd be nearly half a junction in place if they ever decide to open a J2.

It was only ever a temporary terminus, therefore its best to remove it.

Now lets not mention the oddity of having a distance marker for Culohill about 10km back down the motorway after the Urlingford junction :D

Temporary or not, why bust up thousands of Euro worth of tar and kerbing only to bury it under topsoil? There is alot of zinc deep underground in this area and the possibility of a mine being opened up in years to come. Therefore they should have left the junction as it was - even just block M8 access for the moment. If a mine were to be built - this junction would be great to have lorries use the M8 to get to port without going through towns and villages... in other words... allowing the M8 to serve its purpose. Can we please have fore-sight built into the fecking planning from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

. Can we please have fore-sight built into the fecking planning from now on.

Please stop being so silly....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

drove it thurs it seems fine little bit bumpy on m7 new section nothing major dunkettle to red cow 2 hrs 10 min left cork at 610 pm not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Temporary or not, why bust up thousands of Euro worth of tar and kerbing only to bury it under topsoil? There is alot of zinc deep underground in this area and the possibility of a mine being opened up in years to come. Therefore they should have left the junction as it was - even just block M8 access for the moment. If a mine were to be built - this junction would be great to have lorries use the M8 to get to port without going through towns and villages... in other words... allowing the M8 to serve its purpose. Can we please have fore-sight built into the fecking planning from now on.

I'm all for foresight in planning, but it seems a little more than foresight to be thinking about leaving something there that's completely unnecessary in the hope that at some unspecified point in the future somebody might decide to open a MINE! :confused:

That's more like crystal-ball gazing if you ask me and really its not the best way to plan anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dantt7

smiddyboy wrote: »
    I live in Johnstown and can confirm that there are basically more HGV's on the road than cars now! I used often go for walks or on my bike up to where the Cullahill roundabout was, and the road was much quieter before the new motorway opened. It has ruined our evening walks!

The speed that the HGV's roar through the town is shocking.
    I live in Johnstown to and totally agree with you, its almost back to the way it used to be, the speed some cars and HGVs are traveling at through the the town is shocking, how long will in be before there is a bad accident on the square in Johnstown? God forbid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

dantt7 wrote: »
    I live in Johnstown to and totally agree with you, its almost back to the way it used to be, the speed some cars and HGVs are traveling at through the the town is shocking, how long will in be before there is a bad accident on the square in Johnstown? God forbid.

You should write to you local superintendant and make him aware of this situation and ask for the gardai to address the matter before someone gets hurt or worse.:o

Perhaps its time for the council to introduce some significant traffic calming measures and some pedestrian lights in the town? That should slow them down enough. Actually I think these measures should be introduced as a standard on all towns that are bypassed by a motorway in this fashion. Not only for safety reasons in these locations but if it slows down these drivers too much they will eventually get back on to the motorway where they belong.

It would also be helpful in these situations for the Gardaí to spend time of the detrunked roads catching idiots like these drivers going at 100-110kph on what are now single lane 80kph roads, as opposed to them sitting on motorways catching people going at 135kph on a dual lane motorway.

I'm not advocating speeding on any form of road network by the way but surely somebody in authority needs to cop on and realise what is the more dangerous activity and act on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Even if you introduce traffic calming measures i dont think it would take them out of the town. The toll for HGV's is €5.70, if i were a truck driver i would be doing all i can to avoid that toll too. Trucks cant go that much faster on motorways over the old N8 so there is no incentive to pay the extra 5.70, With a car your saving the money on fuel (and time) so that in itself is an incentive.

Just look at Fermoy. The trucks are still tramping through the town years after the bypass was opened. They will not pay the tolls.

Jayuu wrote: »
    I'm all for foresight in planning, but it seems a little more than foresight to be thinking about leaving something there that's completely unnecessary in the hope that at some unspecified point in the future somebody might decide to open a MINE! :confused:

That's more like crystal-ball gazing if you ask me and really its not the best way to plan anything.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough in my rant! - My Bad!!! :P

They have destroyed a prefectly good roundabout. This is a waste of money to employ people and machinery to remove it which will serve no good - let alone the cost used to put in the roundabout in the first place!!!

If they do ever want to open a junction here - no matter when in the future, even if never - it will have to be all relaid. All they had to do was close the access to the roundabout from the R639 from the Johnstown side and Cullohill side and obviously the M8 Slip.

This would leave an isolated roundabout in the field that could be re-used if ever the needs arise again.

...how long will in be before there is a bad accident on the square in Johnstown? God forbid.

There was a smash there yesterday evening I believe...

• Advertisement

I hope no one was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

I am amazed this wasn't left as a LILO S/B only junction

Hogzy wrote: »
    Even if you introduce traffic calming measures i dont think it would take them out of the town. The toll for HGV's is €5.70, if i were a truck driver i would be doing all i can to avoid that toll too. Trucks cant go that much faster on motorways over the old N8 so there is no incentive to pay the extra 5.70, With a car your saving the money on fuel (and time) so that in itself is an incentive.

Probably true but at least significent traffic calming measures will improve safety for the residents of the towns which is to be desired.

I also think more should be done of monitoring of speeds on the redesignated R routes. While I do see what you are saying about trucks not being able to go that much faster I wonder if this is because they are still doing roughly 100kph (or more) on the old routes. So there isn't much of a speed differential. However if they were worried about fines and stuck doing 80kph for most of the route as opposed to safely doing 110kph on a motorway they might consider the alternatives.

I wonder if anybody has considered doing research into the economics of avoiding motorway tolls for trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jayuu wrote: »
    I wonder if anybody has considered doing research into the economics of avoiding motorway tolls for trucks.

Well Fermoy might be more economical but i really dont think the Abbeyleix bypass is. In fact its a longer stretch of road compared to the old road. Im not too sure how much longer but i would think that it is more economical to go the old road. Again while sticking to the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's only 2 or 3km longer (32km vs 30km from Portlaoise N77 junction to Cullahill roundabout).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did the entire run today and can agree that even in a Citroen (known for their ride quality) there are some EXTREMELY bumpy bits. I didn't think modern pavers could lay a surface that bumpy?

There's also some serious shear in the plane of the road southbound at the tie in, wouldn't want to be taking that extremely fast!

The ANPR on the toll lanes keeps picking up my car as a 44 tonne truck. Cue much annoyance from those waiting behind me.

MYOB wrote: »
    Did the entire run today and can agree that even in a Citroen (known for their ride quality) there are some EXTREMELY bumpy bits. I didn't think modern pavers could lay a surface that bumpy?

There's also some serious shear in the plane of the road southbound at the tie in, wouldn't want to be taking that extremely fast!

I took it at 130 today with a car alongside me in the overtaking lane doing about 145. Seemed fine to me. It's a well landscaped road, not bad. It is a pity about the bumpiness but in general I am very happy with it. I can see it filling up over the years though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm heading down to Cork for a few days late next week and plan to use the new section of M7/M8. I can't wait to experience full, unbroken motorway from Naas to Cork.:) I've heard a lot about the alleged bumpiness of the surface of the new section but I'll judge it for myself.

One thing that does concern me is that the M7 is wide median from Naas to Portlaoise. This is a good bit of long term foresight in terms of future traffic growth. But why wasn't the same logic applied to the stretch of M7 from the end of the Portlaoise BP to the M7/M8 split?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm heading down to Cork for a few days late next week and plan to use the new section of M7/M8. I can't wait to experience full, unbroken motorway from Naas to Cork.:) I've heard a lot about the alleged bumpiness of the surface of the new section but I'll judge it for myself.

One thing that does concern me is that the M7 is wide median from Naas to Portlaoise. This is a good bit of long term foresight in terms of future traffic growth. But why wasn't the same logic applied to the stretch of M7 from the end of the Portlaoise BP to the M7/M8 split?

If the bridge structures on narrow median are wide enough its identical to being wide median in terms of costs and effort.

I have no idea if they are though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement