Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mongolia has better Broadband than Ireland does

• 29-05-2010 7:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/05/what-are-the-mongolians-doing-right/

Since that was written earlier this week we have snuck past JORDAN into 64th place for quality BUT we have dropped to 42nd place for download speeds, GHANA just went past us ...and New Zealand is threatening to beat us into 43rd place any day now.
    Today IrelandOffline are calling on Minister Eamon Ryan to deliver concrete actions to get Irish Internet Speed and Quality up to that of Mongolia.
    Commenting on the results of this global survey Eamonn Wallace Chairman of IrelandOffline said: “He cannot do this from the RTÉ studios. We want him back working at his desk and dealing effectively with this Mongolian problem. First Soweto outpaced Dublin and now Mongolia has overtaken Ireland. Urgent action is required of you Minister. ”

Test Metric company Ookla released their six monthly speedtest.net results. Ookla have carried out no less than 1.5 BILLION INDIVIDUAL broadband speed tests globally. Of the 1.5bn 800,000 were carried out from Ireland. These tests are conducted by the end user from their own computer or smartphone. They give a very accurate and wide ranging snapshot of real broadband delivery conditions to real people in Ireland.
    Wallace continued: “Importantly these results INCLUDE recent market developments.The speeds shown are ONLY those collated from tests conducted between April and May 2010. They account for 233,000 IPs of the 800,000 Irish IP addresses tested by Irish Internet users over the years. Therefore these results include widely trumpeted ‘upgrades’ such as eircoms relaunch of 8mbit ADSL (a standard dating from 2001) as “next generation”.

The results additionally include the UPC package upgrades between January and March 2010 which brought their basic package to 5mbits nominal. They also include some developments on 3g mobile networks over the past month. Almost 10,000 tests are carried out every day from Ireland alone.

After all those ‘upgrades’ are fully taken into account Ireland has nevertheless fallen behind Latvia, Lithuania, Romania ,Bulgaria, Moldova, Greece …..and Mongolia in these rankings. In fact Mongolia TROUNCED us.”

Download Speeds: Mongolia 38th Ireland 41st
    Upload Speeds: Mongolia 16th Ireland 63rd

The average Irish download speed is 6mbits. Most EU countries are averaging well over 10mbits nowadays with the EU27 average download speed at 10mbits. Ireland only manages 60% of this EU average download speed performance. In the EU27 only Spain Italy Malta and Cyprus now lag Ireland for download speeds.(1)

The Upload Speed figure is even worse. We do not manage 60% of the EU average there. In fact we only manage 40% of the EU average (1mbit upload vs 2.5mbits EU wide) and within the EU27 only Greece, Spain, Italy, UK and Cyprus performed worse than we did.(2)

In the QUALITY stakes we are critically lagging in 65th place. Only 7 countries in the global rankings scored lower than Ireland, they include Egypt, Kenya, Iran and Lebanon.(3)

Countries with better QUALITY broadband than Ireland include EVERY OTHER EU MEMBER and a few interesting surprises like Serbia, Albania and Moldova (the 3 poorest countries in Europe). Quality is a measure of smooth and consistent transmission of individual pieces of data such as gaming packets and voice over ip packets. A good quality score means one can hear the person one Skypeing with no delays or dropouts for example.

Importantly the quality index is on a continual and worrisome downward trajectory across the test period that ended on the 25th of May 2010. The nearest EU country to us,Greece in 63rd place just above us, is meanwhile improving its performance as too is Uruguay just below us, the only second world country to score lower than Ireland. (3)(4)

Notes and References.

Download Index.Ireland 43d
    1. http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/
    The Irish Download Speed Entry
    http://www.netindex.com/download/2,49/Ireland/
    Upload Index. Ireland 61st
    2. http://www.netindex.com/upload/allcountries/
    The Irish Upload Speed Entry
    http://www.netindex.com/upload/2,49/Ireland/
    Ennis , the Information age town, is the slowest.
    Quality Index.Ireland 65th
    3. http://www.netindex.com/quality/allcountries/
    The Irish Quality Entry.
    http://www.netindex.com/quality/2,49/Ireland/
    Ookla Press release 25th May 2010
    http://www.ookla.com/press-room.php
    Soweto ahead of Dublin in International Survey
    http://irelandoffline.org/2009/10/international-broadband-quality-survey-blasts-dublin/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

We're pathetic and Eamon Ryan is a failure.

3G is rubbish. I have 3G in an area where download speeds are meant to be 7 Mb/s (~0.9 MB/s).

My download speed averages 120 KB/s.

Also, I think there's confusion over what a megabit and a megabyte are. Advertising in megabits makes connections appear better than they actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Broadband in Ireland is an umitigated ****ing disaster. In particular for somebody in my business. (audio/visual)

Im with UPC and pay for 10mb.(big deal. max is 20 anyway) Lucky if its 6. But I hear from colleagues that Eircom are far far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Ive got a 7.2mbps connection from three and on average I rarely get more than 2mbps. 3G shouldnt even be classed as broadband its so bad.

Just had a look at some speed tables and the average download speed in the likes of Japan, S Korea, Sweden, Netherlands etc is over 20mbps with a large proportion of those above 80mbps. Is there even a package on the market for a 20mb connection in this country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ireland now 62nd place for uploads, ****ing Bangladsesh has gone past us :(

http://www.netindex.com/upload/allcountries/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Atleast we're ahead of the UK.... :o

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Ive got a 7.2mbps connection from three and on average I rarely get more than 2mbps. 3G shouldnt even be classed as broadband its so bad.

Just had a look at some speed tables and the average download speed in the likes of Japan, S Korea, Sweden, Netherlands etc is over 20mbps with a large proportion of those above 80mbps. Is there even a package on the market for a 20mb connection in this country?

UPC and BT have a 20mb package on the market. I have 10mb with UPC, but never really above 6mb on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ireland now 62nd place for uploads, ****ing Bangladsesh has gone past us :(

http://www.netindex.com/upload/allcountries/

How universal is the broadband in countries like Bangladesh? Are these figures just based on, for example, the 5% of people in Bangladesh who can actually get broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Steviemak wrote: »
    How universal is the broadband in countries like Bangladesh? Are these figures just based on, for example, the 5% of people in Bangladesh who can actually get broadband?
    My thoughts exactly, and in somewhere like Mongolia I'd imagine that percentage might be even lower.

The problem is we often cannot get bb either, we get rubbishy 3g technology instead.

That reliance on 3g, (uniquely for a developed country) explains why the quality figure is so low in Ireland and why we are happy with overtaking Jordan and Trinidad and Tobago to get into 63rd place today, whoop de doop :p

Only 1 in 3 homes can get UPC Cable Broadband where over 1 in 2 homes if not 2 out of 3 homes can get some 3G signal.

The problem is we often cannot get bb either, we get rubbishy 3g technology instead.

That reliance on 3g, (uniquely for a developed country) explains why the quality figure is so low in Ireland and why we are happy with overtaking Jordan and Trinidad and Tobago to get into 63rd place today, whoop de doop :p

Only 1 in 3 homes can get UPC Cable Broadband where over 1 in 2 homes if not 2 out of 3 homes can get some 3G signal.

How can we force UPC to provide cable broadband to all homes in ireland? Surely, UPC have no interest in doing this?

• Advertisement

How can we force UPC to provide cable broadband to all homes in ireland?

What class of lunatic would ever request such a thing? :eek: UPC are not adding to their network but are gradually upgrading what they do have to support broadband. They can supply 600k out of the 900k homes they pass with broadband and are slowly heading for the 900k. They seem set to provide it across their entire network by 2014.

But we have 2m homes , 900k is less than half of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I have a friend living in South Korea and when he ordered broadband he got it installed within 2 hours of him ordering it.

And that's with an engineer coming out and setting it up for him.

Now that's what I call service.

When will Ireland ever cop on, I mean we are a small nation but if we concentrated on giving ourselves 1st class broadband through out the whole country that in itself would create a lot of jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Broadband in Ireland is an umitigated ****ing disaster. In particular for somebody in my business. (audio/visual)

Im with UPC and pay for 10mb.(big deal. max is 20 anyway) Lucky if its 6. But I hear from colleagues that Eircom are far far worse.
    Max with UPC is 30mb, I'm on 15mb and get constant speeds of at least 12mb.

If you're unhappy with the speed then you have the option of paying for more.

If you looked into it a bit more you can get a free upgrade to 15mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Old news but the level of waffletastic drivel present on one page is almost horrendous:

http://www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie/news.php?uid=11

Large scale satellite broadband rollout is not something we should be proudly trumpeting as some kind of achievement, and certainly not as
    cutting-edge, innovative technology

I do like their description of it though:
    an efficient broadband service

Expensive, high-latency, crap download speeds and REALLY crap upload speeds is what they meant to say lol.

If we're going to pump money into investing in any kind of broadband for the nation, we should bloody well do it properly. Not invest in schemes like this. I understand it is impossible to have everybody hooked up to the very best of broadband, but attempting to mask the lack of coverage with rubbish like this is hardly the solution either.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Old news but the level of waffletastic drivel present on one page is almost horrendous:

Only one page ??

http://www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie/news.php?uid=16
    Minister O'Keeffe added that he will be working closely with Minister Ryan from the DCENR in the near future in the Telecoms area, as both of their departments overlap in the area of getting Ireland more competitive. Minister Ryan with regard to the Digital agenda and ensuring the infrastructure is there and Minister O'Keeffe with regard to ensuring Ireland is competitive in order to attract both inward investment and to nurture our own entrepreneurs.

and unsurprisingly that gob****e Ryan is highly supportive

http://www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie/news.php?uid=3
    Communications Minister Eamon Ryan T.D this week announced Satellite Broadband Irelands partnership for the new rural satellite Broadband service that will be rolled out via the worlds leading satellite company Eutelsat, who this week announced that they are investing €7 million in Ireland thru their service. Satellite Broadba

What class of lunatic would ever request such a thing? :eek: UPC are not adding to their network but are gradually upgrading what they do have to support broadband. They can supply 600k out of the 900k homes they pass with broadband and are slowly heading for the 900k. They seem set to provide it across their entire network by 2014.

But we have 2m homes , 900k is less than half of them.

Thanks, thats the point I was trying to extract. How can we in ireland give out about broadband availability when a huge number of people have built their houses in the middle of nowhere. No private company its going to destroy their business plan to serve the entire country. But as you know the govt turned down a DSL solution and went for a 3G one.

Thanks, thats the point I was trying to extract. How can we in ireland give out about broadband availability when a huge number of people have built their houses in the middle of nowhere.

We are discussing SPEED and QUALITY not availability per se.

Lets park that one and concentrate on the 60% who have not, most of the jobs are in the MOST urbanised 50% of the state. Even then it is crap. In the quality survey Dublin Cork and Galway came out very low.

http://www.netindex.com/quality/2,49/Ireland/

Table 4 2.4m out of 4.1m persons in the state live in 'towns' of 1500 persons + and 1.8m live in the country. Around 60%. UPC only do less than 50% of homes.

Don't forget that there is a difference between a house and a household. UPC claim to pass 900k homes whether occupied or not, not 900k households. Parts of their network are complete crap too. But the biggest problem is that UPC are not building any more network, only upgrading and then rather slowly.

The other 40% of the population live in non urban areas where dispersal is an issue, yes. However Ireland was far more rural in 1960 when 60% lived in rural areas and 40% in urban areas, the opposite of the situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I decided to do a speed test after seeing this tread, I nearly fell off the chair with the result I got....:eek:

831889168.png

so I tried the test again to be sure.....

831893115.png

but, it's not too bad for Dunshaughlin at 6pm, however I'll have to live in hope of seeing 23.83Mb/s from eircom anytime soon...

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I'll have to live in hope of seeing 23.83Mb/s from eircom anytime soon...

But the test _said_ you were with eircom :D Everyone else try a test as well. Lowest one gets a pint ...Bluntguy ???? Full instructions in my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

831924001.png

831927178.png

These would seem to be above average for Eircom according to another graphic on the page.
    In north Dublin city so I would have expected a decent result.

• Advertisement

831937001.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Atleast we're ahead of the UK.... :o

Yeah.

But not in Download speed and they're way ahead in Quality. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Terrlock wrote: »
    I have a friend living in South Korea and when he ordered broadband he got it installed within 2 hours of him ordering it.

And that's with an engineer coming out and setting it up for him.

Now that's what I call service.

When will Ireland ever cop on, I mean we are a small nation but if we concentrated on giving ourselves 1st class broadband through out the whole country that in itself would create a lot of jobs.
    Will the South Korean engineer install Real broadband at my house? :o:rolleyes:
    Where can I sign up? The next day service will do for me nicely. I will even pay for his/her airfare. I been waiting forever with the Irish service providers. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

About 5 mins from Leeson street

832014559.png

I love the fact that 100mb in France and 20mb in England is par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭crushproof

832152598.png

South Dublin - meant to be 8Mb.

Baffles me how the government can't realise that high speed broadband is the key to economic development in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Mongolia has terrible internet connectivity compared to Ireland. Only 22K unique IPs were measured in Mongolia whereas forty times more were measured in Ireland for this survey. Mongolia is a very poor 3rd world country where national income is less than a tenth of Ireland. A small number of wealthy people in offices in Ulan Bator have broadband.

832434384.png

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

832448505.png

UPC 10MB Naas.

832743159.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

dynamick wrote: »
    Mongolia has terrible internet connectivity compared to Ireland. Only 22K unique IPs were measured in Mongolia whereas forty times more were measured in Ireland for this survey.

I'd be interested in seeing what percentage of Mongolia has computers.

In fact, I'd be interested to see what percentage of Mongolia has electricity.
    Mongolia is a very poor 3rd world country where national income is less than a tenth of Ireland.

And yet they can get faster speeds than us for the people who can afford it. And they don't have the likes of Google, IBM, Microsoft etc... setting up camp either.

• Advertisement

On the UPLOAD side we just dropped again to 63rd ( we were 61st last week) Mongolia is hanging in at 16th.

The ****ing Maldives just went past us :( Trinidad and Tobago and Australia are threatening to bump us down to 65th any day now and the UK could go past us by next week leaving us in 66th.

While Bosnia and Hercegovina are unlikely to pass us out _this_ month you will notice if you click that link that Sarajevo and Banja Luka, the capitals of the two Bosnian 'entities' have both passed out Dublin :(

Advertisement