Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Course Guides

• 18-05-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭

On the back of my recent visit to WoodBrook GC I was wondering would there be any interest in people providing a walkthrough/strokesaver for their own clubs?

Obviously I dont expect you to have distances measured from everywhere, but it might be good/helpful to have the aiming points or places to miss/not miss identified.

If it goes anywhere we can sticky it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

1) Short is better than long & left.
    2) Dont miss the green.
    3) Left is blocked off the tee, if laying up lay up on left side.
    4) Doesnt need driver. Left is blocked. Long of the tee is penalized. Dont be above the pin.
    5) Doesnt need driver, fairway bunker is penal.
    6) Dont be above the pin.
    7) RHS is OOB for second shot. Dont be above the pin.
    8) Short is better.
    9) Doesnt require driver, green kicks left. Dont be above pin.
    10) Long and right is dead off tee. Long and left or right for 2nd is dead.
    11) No danger long.
    12) Right is dead is using driver.
    13) Right or left is dead if using driver. Really need to spin approach.
    14) Right is dead (+ OOB). Lay up on LHS as all kicks right.
    15) Green is longer than it looks from tee
    16) Right is OOB, Left is dead.
    17) Right is dead off the tee. Dont go for it in 2.
    18) Right is OOB off the tee. Fairway kicks right, blocking long/straight drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I made up my own strokesaver for Grange Castle using the site below. I hand drew each hole, and measured distances from various points. I've found it very useful.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Jasonw wrote: »
    I'm playing Druids Glen next monday. I played it once while the offer was on but once around only gives an impression of where you should, and maybe more importantly, shouldn't be aiming.

It's most likely to be played off the Championship tees so with that in mind can anyone who knows the course well and has the time and the inclination do a hole by hole guide for me?

Much appreciated.

Congrats and welcome to the Trilby tour, played it yesterday with a mate who is playing in it.

Ok long post folks bail out now if you can !!

1 - stay left there is more room than you think and the bunkers are all down the right.

2- the par 3 plays about half a club more and again short and right is the play leaves you a relatively uphill straight putt.

3- all you need is a rescue / iron to just inside the bunkers on the right corner, leaves you about a pw, go at heart of the green so not chase flag.

4- take 3 wood to just inside bunker on left, do not take corner on if you make it all the trouble just over it, leaves you about 180 but its not too bad, all down hill

5- par 5 not too long and seems longer than you think, just find fairway even with a 4 iron, 2 of them will get you in great position, your line is between the 2 houses on the far hill from tee box.

6- long par 4, aim inside of the left bunker dont try cut corner its a long way, even if you make it you have 200 plus so take a 5 and move on !! its a good score

7 - dont take driver. aim far right of the fairway again do not take the corner on lots of trouble if pulled, i hit rescue to leave me 140 which was a 9 iron. be careful plays shorter than it looks my 9 iron was long

8- par 3 over water, dont take on flag, heart of green is good and dont let yardage scare you its a club less than you think

9- shot over bridge, aim at big tree on right, i hit driver and nailed it, left myself 100 yds, a 3 wood is perfect make sure and stay right of fairway no future left

10- take driver and aim over tree on left or into the corner of fairway, its driver all day long but looks less, leaves you about 120 to uphill green

11- par 5 not worth trying in two green is too well guarded, hit 3 wood to corner, take 6 iron to inside tree's on right and leaves you about 70 yards, its reachable in two but all risk reward you will be doing great to land and stay on green, all trouble at the back

12- par 3 downhill, took an easy 6 and was never the club, hit a club less than you think and trust it, middle of the green is good here

13- index one, savage of a hole. take friver and aim for the skinny trunk of tree in the corner of far side of fairway, you need every bit of this club, from there its minimum 4 iron, enjoy what a hole

14- 3 wood off tee, aim at bunker straight ahead, once in fairway you are left with 140 to green, plays an iron longer than you think.

15- great hole. take driver if into wind and 3 wood if not, aim right at the water its longer than it looks, once hit fairway you are left with 150 ish, stay right all rough and trees to left of green

16- long par 5 again this is driver , aim up the far right of fairway, its a big hit to get to there, i managed a drive over the bunkers on left up around corner and was into wind, left me 200 into wind, uphill and went with rescue should have hit 4 iron went long, very birdiable hole.

17- par 3 took 6 iron to heart of green, take on flag at your peril. Again was into wind.

18- your line is straight up the middle with everything you got, doesnt play much more than yardage suggests, if going at it in two make sure you keep left of green, going right brings in water and rocks.

general info to help you, i hit my 3 wood about 230 off tee, driver about 260 so suit your clubbing as you see fit, only played it yesterday and greens are running very true and quick. do not be put off by your eye it can look longer than yards suggest but trust it, go off markers on fairway to middle of green and not strokesavers as these are to the front can be confusing when on course.

Oh and enjoy its in brilliant condition. wish i was playing the trilby had 32 off 8 and scratched 2 holes. fancy a good score on monday, i am going to watch a mate, again enjoy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

GreeBo wrote: »
    If only we had a Strokesaver sticky thread!....oh wait, that would be a ridiculous idea...:rolleyes:

Is it not within your power as Moderator to create one GreeBo? I think its a great idea

Have a look at these guys site http://www.hh-gs.com/ click on "Course Details" and flick through some courses where they have completed "Descriptions", Balcarrick I think is the first one on the list thats completed

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭1united

Heading to Ballyliffin at weekend and playing both courses, any pointers? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Due to the recent number of requests Ive decided to add a sticky for course guides/tips/strokesavers.

Feel free to add any course that you know well. (or link to any online guides)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

1916 wrote: »
    Have a look at these guys site http://www.hh-gs.com/ click on "Course Details" and flick through some courses where they have completed "Descriptions", Balcarrick I think is the first one on the list thats completed

Useful site that. Had a look at guides of courses I know well and they're on the money in the main. Playing St. Margaret's today and have taken some notes from the guide posted so will see how accurate it is. Thanks 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

1916 wrote: »

I just had a look at my own course there and it's not anywhere near correct. I mean the lengths / pars / indexes etc.... it's completely wrong.

I tried to compare with other courses I would know well, but it doesn't appear to have Lee Valley or Monkstown on the list.

I know it's only a society website, but just pointing it out to ye guys that the details may not be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

I am playing the Rossapenna Links this weekend.
    Would anyone have a stroke/tip/guide advice for both courses,
    the old Tom Morris and Sandy Hills?

Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Anyone with advise on Kilkea Castle? Played it before but not for a long time, even a score card to jog my memory!

Regards
    Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Anyone any thoughts on St Annes on Bull Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BunkerMentality

They have a decent enough thing on their website with distances and description for each hole

http://www.stanneslinksgolf.com/mysitecaddy/site3/coursewalk01.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

1.Par 4 with trees all down right and OOB down left, generous fairway, but slopes to the left, trees to right of green.

2.Short Par 4, shoot between trees, leaving short shot to green

3.Straight Par 4, generous fairway, OOB though down Left side, water at back of green

4.Straight Par 3, water hazard on left, bunkers on right

5.Long straight Par 4 to a green that is slightly elevated

6.Par 4, shoot between trees, then you have to negotiate the tree 50 yards in front of green, water on right of green, OOB all down left side of hole

7.Long dog leg right, Par 5, OOB all down left, 2nd shot to the dog leg, then green falls down hill

8.Longish Par 3, don’t be long as green falls off, large bunker to left front of green

9.Long Par 4, all up hill, Index 1

10.Straight Par 4, generous fairway, large tree to right of green, needs to be avoided

11.Short Par 3, slightly uphill, bushes/trees to back, bunker on left side

12.Long Par 5, dog leg left, fairway runs out at half way for 20 yards then continues until point of dog leg, large bunker in front of a generous green

13.Signature hole, Par 4, dog leg right to an ‘island green’, water immediately to left, right and back of green, fairway to front of it

14.Long slightly “S” shaped/winding Par 5

15.Long Par 3, bunker to right of a generous sized green

16.Straight Par 4, generous fairway with tree in middle within driving distance, no bunkers around green, but water to right side.

17.Par 4, severe dog leg left, big hitters could go for it, but most will lay up to a generous fairway before going for green, don’t want to be long to green as green is built up and falls off at the back, water hazard to right

18.Long Par 5 that turns right at the end to a green protected at front by water hazard, even for the longest hitters its 2 shots up before the green shot, OOB to right front of green.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mattman_iflaf

jimbling wrote: »
    I just had a look at my own course there and it's not anywhere near correct. I mean the lengths / pars / indexes etc.... it's completely wrong.

I tried to compare with other courses I would know well, but it doesn't appear to have Lee Valley or Monkstown on the list.

I know it's only a society website, but just pointing it out to ye guys that the details may not be accurate.

Firstly thanks for the kind mentions. but as Jimbling points out this is a society golf site

I am the moderator/owner of the site, and most/all of the course descriptions were penned by my good self, so apologies of they are not up to date, but they only get updated when I play a given course so, including pars/indexes etc which can change quite dramatically over the years.

If people see incorrect details then I'd be glad to make updates, just email me mattman@hh-gs.com with changes recommendations, and I can look after it from there.

cheers

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mattman_iflaf

My thoughts on St. Anne's : http://www.hh-gs.com/course196.htm

From a few years ago... but should be mostly valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

GreeBo wrote: »
    1) Short is better than long & left.
    2) Dont miss the green.
    3) Left is blocked off the tee, if laying up lay up on left side.
    4) Doesnt need driver. Left is blocked. Long of the tee is penalized. Dont be above the pin.
    5) Doesnt need driver, fairway bunker is penal.
    6) Dont be above the pin.
    7) RHS is OOB for second shot. Dont be above the pin.
    8) Short is better.
    9) Doesnt require driver, green kicks left. Dont be above pin.
    10) Long and right is dead off tee. Long and left or right for 2nd is dead.
    11) No danger long.
    12) Right is dead is using driver.
    13) Right or left is dead if using driver. Really need to spin approach.
    14) Right is dead (+ OOB). Lay up on LHS as all kicks right.
    15) Green is longer than it looks from tee
    16) Right is OOB, Left is dead.
    17) Right is dead off the tee. Dont go for it in 2.
    18) Right is OOB off the tee. Fairway kicks right, blocking long/straight drives.

What about the other 6 holes :p Not sure there numbers

19) Par 5 - right is dead, stay left 2nd as green kicks left often into a bunker
    20) Par 4- Left is dead, aim right - 2 tiered green
    21) Par 3 - 2 tiered green wall on left hand side
    22) Par 5 - Narrow drive plenty of room left, keep left with 2nd as pond right hand side of green
    23) Par 3- 3 tiered green
    24) Have to right off drive or no second shot, if not straight with second could be in Trees

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elgan

Any tips for playing this course. I'm hoping to travel next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

The stroke saver is good recommend you buy it.

Great course heading there myself to play again in couple of weeks

Enjoy

Any words of caution

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

From a previous post on here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055980897

Licksy wrote: »
    From (poor) memory.
    1st. Not overly long par 4, no need to go mad off the tee. Green is set down hill and slightly left. Slopes a fair bit. Don't think I ever birdied it after many attempts.
    2nd. Great uphill, long par 4. Green is elevated and it's a fine hole.
    3rd. Another tough par 4, down hill this time but there's water short-right and a 3-tiered green. Depending on the wind direction, I used to always be happy enough with a 4 on one and a 5 on the other (2 & 3 run opposite directions).
    4th. Short par 4, trouble everywhere so mid iron to the fairway and wee wedge to the green.
    5th. Reachable par 5, tee shot needs to be left-to-right to hold the fairway. Water towards the right of the green (short) but not in play for a decent attempt at the green.
    6th. Fine par 3, all there to see in front of you.
    7th. Good par 5, right-to-left, could rarely trouble it in two so pick your sensible line off the tee. Tempting to drive down the left but a decent carry required or you'll be in sand so stay right of it.
    8th. Changed since I used to play there, fairly straightforward par 4, honest stuff.
    9th. Used to be a lovely par 3 and is now changed to be a fine par 3, though not as strong as it used to be in my opinion. Again, you get what you see.
    10th. Long walk to the tee from the 9th... Par 5, two shotter again if you drive it in the fairway but it's a well protected green, set among trees with water short.
    11th. Pretty par 3, a great hole from the back tees with the flag on the right and decent from anywhere else.
    12th. Used to be a bit raw but has improved. Par 5, dog-leg left. A straight drive on the fairway gives the chance of going in two. OOB beside the green on the right is not that far away so keep that in mind if having a go at the elevated green with a long club.
    13th. Short enough dog-leg left par 4. Hate the bunch of trees at the corner of the dog-leg because they don't look right on a golf course but I know Kevin "Hooked" Markham likes the hole. Go figure! Hit the fairway with something and pay close attention to the 2nd shot because the carry over the bunkers usually needs to be fairly precise - plays slightly uphill but also could be very dead if you go long. Play your yardage to the middle.
    14th. Another short par 4, been on in 1 a few times but OOB on the right and trees/rough left so the sensible play is to lay up and wedge it in.
    15th. A strong par 4, OOB staring you in the face on the right... green nicely set with towering trees behind.
    16th. For god sake plant some trees behind this green to frame this hole. It would be a decent par 3 but always looks weak to me, looking out at the sheep or whatever in the field behind the green... OK, I'm fussy.
    17th. Par 4, straight and honest.
    18th. Good par 4 to finish, dog-leg right, water on the right and stream all on the right up to the green. The green is 3-tiered also and OOB (car park) behind so don't go long to a back pin!

Presume they do a decent strokesaver!

• Advertisement

Thanks Licksy. I get so carried away playing I even forget to mark the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gawoo1012

1.) Keep your drive left of the bunker. There is more room left than you think off the tee. Hit a rescue or mid iron down to the flat near the green which leaves a simple chip on.
    2.) Aim just left of the fairway bunker on the right. 2nd shot is all carry to a raised green. 2nd shots into the green tend to gather back left.
    3.) Drive and wedge
    4.) If you connect well with your drive, you can take it over the corner and the ball will feed out into the fairway. Aim your 2nd shot towards the fairway bunker on the right. Ball will feed down and leave a wedge into the green...Don't go left with your 2nd shot (even left half of the fairway)
    5.) Needs a straight drive. 2nd shot will feed in from the right
    6.) Par 3...hit the green
    7.) Generous landing area for drive. 2nd shot is generally 1 more club than you think
    8.) Aim for the tree on the left and again take plenty of club for 2nd
    9.) PAr 3...stay out of the bunkers. 3 tiered green
    10.) Don't take driver...4-5 iron to the edge of the hill and mid iron in
    11.) Most drives end up on the right semi. Keep right and take plenty of club for your second as anything on the front edge will feed into the bunker. 2 tiered green
    12.) Par 3...stay right
    13.) Aim to the right of the bunker. Rescue club over the water and short iron in.
    14.) Par 3....ball does feed in from the left side of the green which takes the water and bunker out of play
    15.) Don't be too ambitious with your tee shot. The bunker on the right is a 250 yd carry. Mid iron and chip on.
    16.) Toughest hole IMO....there is more room on the left off the tee than you think. 2nd shot needs to be accurate but favour the left as right is trouble. Also take plenty of club for your second
    17.) Drive must be on the right half of the fairway as anything left feeds into thickish rough. Green slops from left to right
    18.) Straight drive required. 2nd shot into 2 tiered green. There is a full club difference between front and back of green

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

Anyone got any pointers on newcastlewest golf club in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

am playing limerick gc for the first time this weekend, ive heard its one for course management - any tips would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Anyone ever play Oranmore in Galway or Bunclody(or any good ecommendations around Wexford) in Wexford?

Won a weekend away in any Maldron hotel in a classic there on Friday and it looks like we'll be staying in either Wexford town or Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

baz2009 wrote: »
    Anyone ever play Oranmore in Galway or Bunclody(or any good ecommendations around Wexford) in Wexford?

Won a weekend away in any Maldron hotel in a classic there on Friday and it looks like we'll be staying in either Wexford town or Oranmore.

Bunclody certainly worth a look... Played there last week... place was in great nick and a decent enough test! Can't comment on any other Wexford courses except Ballymoney near Gorey. A short little track and can be extremely busy at weekends. Always in good nick though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

If Oranmore is Galway Bay then it's worth playing, hotel is on site.
    It's mainly a parkland course, plenty of water but there a few holes on the back nine that have a linksy feel about them
    Have not played Bunclody yet but a couple of people I know speak highly of it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭esker man

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Bunclody certainly worth a look... Played there last week... place was in great nick and a decent enough test! Can't comment on any other Wexford courses except Ballymoney near Gorey. A short little track and can be extremely busy at weekends. Always in good nick though!!

have played both Wexford and Enniscorthy and would recommend both, Enniscorty probably slightly better of two - personal opinion.

heard great reports about Bunclody would love to give it a whirl someday

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Iangolf

Hi Guys,

Due to play slade valley at the weekend, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as the HH society tips seems to be out of date for Slade valley.

Cheers

Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Former member there, course changed this time last year with the opening of two new holes, first eleven exist as they were

1 - Long par 4, key is to keep tee shot in play and then put second shot near the green
    2 - Par 3 plays the distance even thought it does not look it OOB all down the left
    3 - 90 degree dog leg, hit tee shot of about 200 yard leave a wedge to the green, dont go long
    4 - Short par 4, hit your drive up left side and play second shot in as close to right side of the green as possible with loft to hold the green
    5 - Par 3 - play to right side of green and take two putts
    6 - Par 4 again tee shot of about 200 yards will leave a wedge to green, all uphill
    7 - Short Par 5, rough has been allowed grow if you can find the fairway it's reachable in two
    8 - Plays a long iron and an 8 iron, aim second shot right of the flag and it should all fall in to the green, very quick green from above the hole
    9 - Long uphill par 4
    10 - Aim tee shot just right of the marker in the fairway and will get kick down,second shot plays club shorter than distance
    11 - Long uphill par 4, aim second shot to left of the green and it will get bounce in otherwise have to carry large bunker
    12 -NEW HOLE, Aim drive at bunker on the left side, green is long and narrow,
    13 - NEW HOLE - Par 3 plays bit shorter than it looks but tee box is sheltered so check wind when leaving 12th green, two bunkers to be avoided
    14 - Par 4 - if you hit a long drive aim your tee shot at the tree on the left edge of the fairway at the gap. This will open up the second shot, you play to the old 12th green, dont go long
    15 (old 14th) - Three wood off the tee, leave a wedge in, tricky green - tip check where pin is when passing green on way to hit your second on 10
    16 (old 15th) - Aim drive down left side, leaves slightly longer second shot but it's a better angle
    17th -Old 16th hole but plays to the original 17th green, drive has to be aimed out the left and then after that it's a long iron to a narrow green, personally I played it as a three shoter with more sucesss than going for it in two
    18th - Like 9 and 11 uphill par 4, straighforward hole

Additional tips
    On holes 4,6,8,15 and 16 leave yourself with uphill putts as much as possible
    On 9 and 18 try and work out where the flag is as it can mean an extra club
    Greens are tricky and they are really the only defense the course has if you can keep it play off the tee you should have a good round

Advertisement