Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things that bug me about Trek (post-Original Series)

• 26-05-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

facepalm.jpg

All of Them:
    1. Holodeck episodes. Lazy, self-parody and cringe-worthy.
    2. Pseudo-Spocks. As in Data, Odo, EMH and T'Pol all struggle to understand their own nature and place in the universe. Borrrring!
    3. Pleasure planet Risa. Come on!
    4. Ridiculous use of looping. Completely ruins the scenes.
    5. The long, drawn out, meandering synth music: generic and numbing.
    6. Technobabble. Completely unnecessary.
    7. The "structural integrity at 30 percent!" crap. I mean, is that an average figure? is it 60 in one spot and zero in another? Why isn't the ship rattling apart (exception: Voyager's "Year of Hell")
    8. The DS9/Voyager tribute episodes on the 30th Anniversary ("Trials and Tribble-ations" and "Flashback"): cleverly done, but futher ruins the already paper-thin realities of both shows.

TNG:
    1. Picard being a dick for the first two seasons.
    2. Troi's accent inexplicably changing from pseudo-Alien to pseudo-American.
    3. Those awful, awful spandex costumes in the first two seasons. (They linger on the extras throughout the show, modified).
    4. Picard's backstory: losing his first command to Ferengi. Like losing the White House to gnomes.
    5. Wesley Crusher. Jesus.
    6. Dr Polaski. Why??
    7. Hinting at a Crusher/Picard romance, and it goes nowhere. It should have, dammit!
    8. Barclay.
    9. The episode "Masks". Good God.
    10. And my pet hate: The Oirish episode. Urrrgggghhhh!
    DS9:
    1. It being a blatant rip off of Babylon 5 (an equally flawed, but at least original, concept)
    2. The first episode: kicking off with Wolf 359, simmering with Picard/Sisko tension, ending with a pseudo-religious whimper.
    3. Nog and Jake: successors to the Wesley Crusher crown, astoundingly irritating young dicks.
    4. Kira Nerys. Consistently overcome with PMT.
    5. Bashir's "outing" as a gen-mod--and the outcome? He plays darts better. Bloody brilliant.
    6. Mirror Universe episodes. great for kids and teenagers, but absolutely inconceivable that Mirror counterparts would encounter one another in such a vast and disparate universe. Everyone looks the same, born the same time, really? Really?
    7. Worf being wedged in. Loved Way of the Warrior, but he didn't need to be wedged in. And it only made his showing up in TNG films awkward to explain.
    8. Dax 2.0.
    Voyager:
    1. Another pseudo-Godly start to the show---Caretaker, instead of Prophets.
    2. Kes and Neelix.
    3. Neelix again. He's that crap.
    4. Failing to do what BSG excelled at: showing a lonesome ship and crew in dangerous territory crumbling both physically and morally (exception: "Year of Hell")
    5. Kazon: a poor man's Klingon.
    6. The severe lack of...any...tension between Maquis and Starfleet officers (picture the Gardai and IRA in one cramped boat. Lost at sea. Forever.)
    7. Chakotay's Spirit Guide bullphooey: I like spiritual crap, except when it's genuine crap, poorly realised and dumbed-down to nothingness.
    8. Neelix.
    9. B'Elanna Torres: basically Kira Nerys, only angrier.
    10. Allowing Sarah Silverman to represent today's youth mindset. Bugger off.
    11. Ensign Kim's stunted, stumbling, monotonous and soulless delivery of dialogue, without nary a hint of acting ability or warmth. God love him.
    12. Janeway's shocking tendency to take Voyager off her course home to investigate phenomena. Go home Janeway, take a snapshot but otherwise go home.
    13. Neutering the Borg.
    14. Introducing uberbabe Seven of Nine as an interesting pseudo-Spock...and going nowhere with it.
    15. Andy Dick. Just, no. Completely ruined the otherwise awesome Prometheus.
    Enterprise:
    1. Crappy theme tune. Unlike DS9, adding a fast underbeat does nothing to prop it up.
    2. Wasting Scott Bakula's innate charm on stunted, half-formed dialogue.
    3. Merely attempting to make tech look less advanced than the Original Series, but more advanced than now? Fail immediately.
    4. Cnstantly "introducing" upgrades: photon torpedoes, shielding, faster warp. The show was in a short time-span and all that was done?
    5. T'Pol being eye-candy: degrading, and frankly insulting.
    6. In fact, EVERYTHING about this sucked, especially...
    7. Riker and Troi ending the show as a hologram...like it was all a dream. FFS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fail.

Barclay is a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

No Fairhaven???????????

Also I would not put Odo in with the Spock clones, sure he has a hidden past/trying to fond meaning but he is a much more detailed and rich character than the rest. He was also completely integral to the story arc, from the introduction of the Founders

He also was not thrown in there as eye candy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

No Fairhaven???????????

I picked the worst episode(s), but there were a fair few close-calls including Fair Haven.
    Also I would not put Odo in with the Spock clones, sure he has a hidden past/trying to fond meaning but he is a much more detailed and rich character than the rest. He was also completely integral to the story arc, from the introduction of the Founders

He also was not thrown in there as eye candy

I kindly disagree. He wanted to know his history. He found out he's a long lost member of the Founders, the highest echelon of the Dominion. And that's it.:rolleyes:

Eh, I never said Odo was "eyecandy"!!!:eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

facepalm.jpg

All of Them:
    1. Holodeck episodes. Lazy, self-parody and cringe-worthy. All of them?
    2. Pseudo-Spocks. As in Data, Odo, EMH and T'Pol all struggle to understand their own nature and place in the universe. Borrrring! Data is one of Treks all time best characters, Odo isnt overly intelligent, I liked the EMH, and T'Pol was super hot.
    3. Pleasure planet Risa. Come on! You wouldnt like to go there?
    4. Ridiculous use of looping. Completely ruins the scenes. Looping?
    5. The long, drawn out, meandering synth music: generic and numbing. As opposed to?
    6. Technobabble. Completely unnecessary. Wrong, a lot of it is based on theoretical physics & isnt all random gibberish.
    7. The "structural integrity at 30 percent!" crap. I mean, is that an average figure? is it 60 in one spot and zero in another? Why isn't the ship rattling apart (exception: Voyager's "Year of Hell") Its a structural integrity field, encompassing the whole ship.
    8. The DS9/Voyager tribute episodes on the 30th Anniversary ("Trials and Tribble-ations" and "Flashback"): cleverly done, but futher ruins the already paper-thin realities of both shows. Trials was brilliantly done, flashback wasnt great.

TNG:
    1. Picard being a dick for the first two seasons. A brilliant Captain by the book.
    2. Troi's accent inexplicably changing from pseudo-Alien to pseudo-American. I didnt notice a huge change, that english tint always remained.
    3. Those awful, awful spandex costumes in the first two seasons. (They linger on the extras throughout the show, modified). Agreed.
    4. Picard's backstory: losing his first command to Ferengi. Like losing the White House to gnomes. He was outgunned, whats wrong with that?
    5. Wesley Crusher. Jesus. Agreed, but it was the late 80's man
    6. Dr Polaski. Why?? Because McFadden had a disagreement with the writers about motherhood.
    7. Hinting at a Crusher/Picard romance, and it goes nowhere. It should have, dammit! He was her husbands best friend.
    8. Barclay. Epic fail. Quality character.
    9. The episode "Masks". Good God. Not everyones cup of tea, I loved it beacuse of Spiners different character roles. He's brilliant.
    10. And my pet hate: The Oirish episode. Urrrgggghhhh! Agreed.
    DS9:
    1. It being a blatant rip off of Babylon 5 (an equally flawed, but at least original, concept) The best of all Trek shows eventually.
    2. The first episode: kicking off with Wolf 359, simmering with Picard/Sisko tension, ending with a pseudo-religious whimper. Great intro, and sets the backdrop for the next 7 years
    3. Nog and Jake: successors to the Wesley Crusher crown, astoundingly irritating young dicks. Jake is far from Wesley in fairness. He matured realistically in the show. I like Nog!
    4. Kira Nerys. Consistently overcome with PMT. One of the hottest Trek characters ever man.
    5. Bashir's "outing" as a gen-mod--and the outcome? He plays darts better. Bloody brilliant. His father went to prison.
    6. Mirror Universe episodes. great for kids and teenagers, but absolutely inconceivable that Mirror counterparts would encounter one another in such a vast and disparate universe. Everyone looks the same, born the same time, really? Really? Its a thing called Sci-Fi man
    7. Worf being wedged in. Loved Way of the Warrior, but he didn't need to be wedged in. And it only made his showing up in TNG films awkward to explain. Worf made a fantatsic addition to DS9
    8. Dax 2.0. Agreed, Jadzia was far better. But she left knowing the series was ending & she was offered a different role for four more years
    Voyager:
    1. Another pseudo-Godly start to the show---Caretaker, instead of Prophets. How else were they to get to the Delta Quadrant?
    2. Kes and Neelix. Agreed
    3. Neelix again. He's that crap. Yep
    4. Failing to do what BSG excelled at: showing a lonesome ship and crew in dangerous territory crumbling both physically and morally (exception: "Year of Hell") Its a different show, Janeway decided to uphold Starfleet principals.
    5. Kazon: a poor man's Klingon. Kind of agreed, but they were poor.
    6. The severe lack of...any...tension between Maquis and Starfleet officers (picture the Gardai and IRA in one cramped boat. Lost at sea. Forever.) I suspect anyone who didnt wanna be part of the crew had the option of living alone in the Delta Quadrant.
    7. Chakotay's Spirit Guide bullphooey: I like spiritual crap, except when it's genuine crap, poorly realised and dumbed-down to nothingness. Agreed, could have been better.
    8. Neelix. Agreed
    9. B'Elanna Torres: basically Kira Nerys, only angrier. Fairly unlikeable character.
    10. Allowing Sarah Silverman to represent today's youth mindset. Bugger off. She was well hot.
    11. Ensign Kim's stunted, stumbling, monotonous and soulless delivery of dialogue, without nary a hint of acting ability or warmth. God love him. Fairly weak, but I though he was likeable after a while.
    12. Janeway's shocking tendency to take Voyager off her course home to investigate phenomena. Go home Janeway, take a snapshot but otherwise go home. As above, still a Starfleet vessel.
    13. Neutering the Borg. Agreed.
    14. Introducing uberbabe Seven of Nine as an interesting pseudo-Spock...and going nowhere with it. Over Kes, no argument man.
    15. Andy Dick. Just, no. Completely ruined the otherwise awesome Prometheus. Agreed, but the Prometheus itself saved the episode.
    Enterprise:
    1. Crappy theme tune. Unlike DS9, adding a fast underbeat does nothing to prop it up. Im in a minority Im sure, but I like it.
    2. Wasting Scott Bakula's innate charm on stunted, half-formed dialogue. Same as my above comment
    3. Merely attempting to make tech look less advanced than the Original Series, but more advanced than now? Fail immediately. Well thats the time period they were in, before TOS and after now...
    4. Cnstantly "introducing" upgrades: photon torpedoes, shielding, faster warp. The show was in a short time-span and all that was done? Whats a torpedo compared with a warp drive? Easy development
    5. T'Pol being eye-candy: degrading, and frankly insulting. Thats a shocking comment
    6. In fact, EVERYTHING about this sucked, especially...
    7. Riker and Troi ending the show as a hologram...like it was all a dream. FFS. Agreed

I read the thread title and thought thats a pretty good idea, then read your post. Man you must HATE Star Trek.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I read the thread title and thought thats a pretty good idea, then read your post. Man you must HATE Star Trek.

I love:

1. Picard's evolution from cold bitter man to a father figure.
    2. Riker's loyalty.
    3. Data's quirky humour.
    4. Data and Geordi's close friendship (criminally underused in the movies)
    5. "The Best of Both Worlds"
    6. And the episode after, where Picard breaks down in front of his bro
    7. "Yesterday's Enterprise"
    8. Q
    9. Jellico in a Love to Hate him sort of way
    10. "All Good Things"---especially the end: Picard looking around the poker table at his friends: "I should have done this a long time ago."
    11. Sisko's dedication to and love for his son.
    12. Odo's absolute don't-funk-with-me attitude
    13. Quark's wily ways
    14. Rom---absolute comic genius
    15. "The Way of the Warrior"
    16. Bashir and O'Brien's friendship could be intersting at times
    17. General Martok: LEGEND
    18. The Jem'Hadar: the only Trek warriors that make Klingons look like Kleenex
    19. "In Purgatory's Shadow" / "By Inferno's Light": especially the clever switcheroo, where the Bashir in the OLD uniform is holed up in the Dominion prison camp, lo and behold, Bashir in the NEW unfirom aboard DS9, smirking to himself...because he switched several episodes ago
    20. Kahless and his rabid hunger for war
    21. The Defiant: built for a Borg War (finally realised it in First Contact, but always hoped we'd see a DS9 vs Borg episode or two
    22. Janeway's ability to be both feminine, but also ballsy
    23. Chakotay's strength without bravado
    24. Tuvok--very well acted, very likeable
    25. Paris taking Kim under his wing (even though Kim is a wang)
    26. "Year of Hell"
    27. Guilty pleasure: Seven of Nine in her catsuit. I'm a dude. Shoot me.
    28. EMH could be funny at times (when the writing was on-par)
    29. The episode with the holographic clown--can't recall the name, but it ends with him crying in shadows. Freaked me out.
    30. Didn't enjoy a single thing about ENTERPRISE...
    Oh, wait, there is one thing...

292px-Jeffrey_Combs.jpg

He was BRILLIANT as Weyoun and Brunt in DS9, and Shran on Enterprise. He has a very distinctive elocution and nature, yet he still gave each character their own sense of feeling and purpose. You knew they were all the same actor yet all three differed in so many fun ways. Absolute top class actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

In fairness to Picard... the Farangi were supposed to be the new big Klingon-like bad dudes. Just didn't work out that way because, eh, they looked like silly little gnomes.

Agreed re Weyoun/Brunt/Shran - remarkable actor. I loved Dukat too & their chemistry.

If I was to say what annoyed me about Trek...

ENT - The way Archer tried to turn into an angrier Captain in the later seasons. I liked him when they were fresh/explorers.

TOS - How can you fault this show, its damn near 50 year old.

TNG - The early cheese.

DS9 - There are about 5 episodes in the whole 7 seasons I didnt like. The show is a masterclass.

VOY - I like the characters & the premise...but I guess it all seemed too easy to get home when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

It being a blatant rip off of Babylon 5 (an equally flawed, but at least original, concept)
    For my info, is that true or was it the other way around?

For my info, is that true or was it the other way around?

Didn't B5 come around in writing and concept first but DS9 beat it to air?

For me it is Garak, I absolutely loved that chatacter

Plus one for Weyoun/Brunt/Shran

• Advertisement

For me it is Garak, I absolutely loved that chatacter

best in Trek, pity there wasn't more of him

best in Trek, pity there wasn't more of him

Agreed, superbly well acted & portrayed.

Didn't B5 come around in writing and concept first but DS9 beat it to air?

JMS explains all here. I know it's wikipedia but the sources are confirmed. it's a well-executed rip-off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jeffrey Combs is a fantastic actor, as is the guy with the real square head, he was in the x-files an alien assasin but played a lot of Jem H'adar roles.

Also the guy that plays Kurn and the older Jake Sisko.

Also the guy that plays Kurn and the older Jake Sisko.

Ive never bothered to check, but Im pretty sure thats the chap from Night Of The Living Dead (90's remake). His voice is unmistakable, Kurn, Future Jake & a Hirogen I remember him doing. Quality actor, his voice just hooks you in the minute he starts talking...

Ive never bothered to check, but Im pretty sure thats the chap from Night Of The Living Dead (90's remake). His voice is unmistakable, Kurn, Future Jake & a Hirogen I remember him doing. Quality actor, his voice just hooks you in the minute he starts talking...

Tony Todd:

TonyToddCandyman01.jpg

Oh and Candyman too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Tony Todd:

TonyToddCandyman01.jpg

He had a recurring role as a reporter in Homicide Life on the Streets too and played a baddy in "The Rock"
    I would defo include him and the ep in which he played future Jake ("The Visitor") on the list of things I love about Trek.
    I'm not the biggest DS9 fan but JIMHO "The Visitor" was probably the best and certainly the most moving episode of any Trek ever

"The Visitor" was probably the best and certainly the most moving episode of any Trek ever

I really have to agree with that. It was epicly good that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I agree with some of what you said, especially Kes, Nelix and the Kazon being rubbish.

What I am not fond of is rehashed stories. I mean, how many disease-on-the-ship episodes do we need? Enterprise did a few of these. We've seen it all before, and unless you can bring an entertaining new element, don't go down that road.
    There was also series abuse of milking popular story lines as far as they go. Voyager is especially guilty of this. The borg were a very popular enemy, especially with the release of First Contact (1996, the year following the start of Voyager). Time travel was also another story line that many people enjoyed. Enter the lazy writers.

Many of the actors are very strong, so write good stories for them!

• Advertisement

I really have to agree with that. It was epicly good that episode.

I had completely forgoeetn about this outstanding episode

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well lets see...

TNG:
    - The first 2 seasons were very weak. It only really gets going in season 3.
    - Wesley: Annoying for most of the episodes, but not so much later on.
    - Guinan: Meh!
    - Pulaski: Poor McCoy rip-off.
    - Patrick Stewart is one of the best actors ever and Picard's growth over the seasons (as noted above) is very well done, particularly in episodes like "The Inner Light", "Disaster" and "All Good Things"
    - Q: Excellent in the earlier episodes, not so much when they started watering him down for episodes like the one with Vash, or Amanda, but returns to form in "All Good Things"
    - Ronny Cox as Edward Jelico was great (he was in EVERYTHING in the 80s!)
    - Worf grows from forgettable extra to a key character throughout the series and the Klingon episodes are some of the best (love Gowron too)
    - I preferred the Enterprise-D to the E myself.

DS9:
    - The best Trek series. Period.
    - Avery Brookes is excellent as Sisko - eg: "In The Pale Moonlight"
    - Mark Alaimo as Gul Dukat.. one of the best and most realised Trek villians ever. Brilliant acting in "Duet" when an unhinged Dukat and Sisko are stranded together
    - Love Garak too, and Damar. Hell most of the recurring cast were great to watch and fleshed out over the 7 years. Even Morn got his own episode!
    - The Defiant.. what a ship!
    - The Jem'Hadar were great, especially when they fleshed them out to show that they weren't entirely mindless obidient slaves in episodes such as the one where Bashir and O'Brien are captured by a platoon and forced to develop a cure to their addition to White, or the episode where the Defiant is captured and the conflict between the Alpha and Gamma Jem'Hadar (pity this wasn't expanded upon more)
    - Quark, Rom and Nog are all great characters
    - Jadzia Dax... mmmm! (Ezri did nothing for me though) :D It's a pity she didn't feature in the "What You Leave Behind" final montage though (which itself was very well done)
    - The only disappointment was the finalé - great first hour but then it kinda slips a bit in the second. Not overly keen on Sisko staying with the Prophets either.

VOY:
    - I don't get the anti-Janeway stuff. She wasn't THAT bad (see next section for the worst Captain! :p)
    - Chakotay: Had his moments but I'll agree with Beltran that he was underused for most of the series.. ditto Ensign Kim
    - Neelix: Mostly annoying, as was Kes
    - B'Elanna Torres: Weak for the most part. K'Ehelyr (Worf's mate/Alexander's mother) was a lot better as a half Klingon/half human type.
    - I actually liked the Borg episodes for the most part, especially "Dark Frontier" where we get the Hanson's backstory (but how WAS little Annika playing with a perfect model of a Borg Cube YEARS before the Enterprise-D ever encountered them?!)
    - The 2-part Equinox story was an interesting take on what Voyager might have been like had Janeway not stuck to Starfleet rules and ethics
    - The EMH was great, and despite comments here, his interaction with Andy Dick's EMH 2 MAKES "Prometheus", rather than ruins it.
    - "Year of Hell" was another great episode
    - I liked the "Endgame" finalé too (but then I like all those time travel/future episodes anyway :p)

ENT:
    - Given how much history and backstory had already been established by this stage, this show was never going to work
    - Introducing the Ferengi and then the Borg and expecting us to accept that just because they weren't formally identified (even to the point of modifying the Borg's standard hail) was just stupid and insulting
    - The soft-core "decon chamber" scenes - pleeease! :rolleyes:
    - Mayweather and Sato.. why when they might as well not even be there!
    - Archer: Worst Captain ever, and his "tough guy" persona later on just wasn't believable.
    - In fact the only thing I liked about this entire series was the 2-part "In a Mirror Darkly" episodes - mostly because the actors played characters that were a LOT more interesting than their regular versions.
    - Awful, awful show, but ended ironically well... "Computer, end program!"

You had to like doctor flox

DS9 does not deserve the praise it gets. There. I said it.

It was certainly good, but probably not the best Trek. It certainly doesn't rise above to become some sort of break-out amazing drama series.

The character of Sisko was ungrounded and changed to suit most episodes or situations (angry man, family man, obsessive type, war-monger, diplomat... could never make up his mind). And Jesus, the hyperventilating. What was that about?

The much-lauded story arc in the final season and the build-up to it was boring, went nowhere, and sapped the escapist fantasy from Star Trek. I actually preferred the first few seasons to the last few.

It might be on a par with TNG for best Trek but it's by no means amazingly astonishingly unbelievably better than the others.

Goodshape wrote: »
    DS9 does not deserve the praise it gets. There. I said it.

It was certainly good, but probably not the best Trek. It certainly doesn't rise above to become some sort of break-out amazing drama series.

The character of Sisko was ungrounded and changed to suit most episodes or situations (angry man, family man, obsessive type, war-monger, diplomat... could never make up his mind). And Jesus, the hyperventilating. What was that about?

The much-lauded story arc in the final season and the build-up to it was boring, went nowhere, and sapped the escapist fantasy from Star Trek. I actually preferred the first few seasons to the last few.

It might be on a par with TNG for best Trek but it's by no means amazingly astonishingly unbelievably better than the others.

Just outta curiousity, did you watch DS9 while airing on tv? Or a mammoth dvd run throughout the series?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pretty much all spot on, OP.

Just outta curiousity, did you watch DS9 while airing on tv? Or a mammoth dvd run throughout the series?
    Watched it in patches at the time. Zoned out in the later seasons.

Did a mammoth run-through a couple of years ago.

It's a good show... the last of the good Trek series' (VOY and ENT were both ****e)... but not, imo, better than TNG or TOS. If you discount the fact it was Star Trek, I don't think it was any sort of amazing drama series, and I think Trek works best as a stand-alone hour of sci-fi escapism. The later seasons of DS9 didn't have that appeal.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Watched it in patches at the time. Zoned out in the later seasons.

Did a mammoth run-through a couple of years ago.

It's a good show... the last of the good Trek series' (VOY and ENT were both ****e)... but not, imo, better than TNG or TOS. If you discount the fact it was Star Trek, I don't think it was any sort of amazing drama series, and I think Trek works best as a stand-alone hour of sci-fi escapism. The later seasons of DS9 didn't have that appeal.

Cheers, I find watching DS9 on tv is fairly sh1te. Appaling picture quality & ads every few minutes. Completely ruins the show. For some reason TOS,TNG & VOY all get away with it on tv, DS9 doesnt.

However, back to back episodes on dvd from start to finish...without a doubt the best of all the shows fo rme. The story arc was exciting, with so many characters all being involved...loved every minute of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

Never got DS9. It is imo one of the worst Trek series. It was too much of a soap opera. I admit, I never watched it through. But when I did watch it when it was on it was pointless as I missed 'the plot' behind it and previous episodes.

TNG and Voyager in comparison were by and large self contained. One didnt need to know the plot to enjoy and understand and episodes. (probably one of the reasons its shown more on TV)
    Maybe im wrong but thats what I got from it. I thought DS9 was quite dull.

• Advertisement

Knarr wrote: »
    Never got DS9. It is imo one of the worst Trek series. It was too much of a soap opera. I admit, I never watched it through. But when I did watch it when it was on it was pointless as I missed 'the plot' behind it and previous episodes.

TNG and Voyager in comparison were by and large self contained. One didnt need to know the plot to enjoy and understand and episodes. (probably one of the reasons its shown more on TV)
    Maybe im wrong but thats what I got from it. I thought DS9 was quite dull.

I liked the story arcs. It was more realistic. Voyager and TNG hit the reboot button every episode.

Advertisement