Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio Dog Fence Advice

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone any experience with Radio Dog Fences??? I have built a nice proper fence around my garden but my dog just keeps getting out over it or under it and the locals are giving out he keeps escaping.

He is a completely harmless and the most friendly dog you could ever meet, He just gets curious and heads off across the fields roaming.

Anyway my final plan is to install a radio perimeter dog fence to contain him, Has anyone any experience with them or can they advise me on any particular ones, I was thinking of getting this one

http://www.canicom.ie/canifence_pro.php

Anyone any opinions on it???

Thanks,

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

my dad has one.........as a dog owner myself,i think there cruel,but each to their own i reckon.there's no doubting they do work,giving the dog a fair ol shock when he approaches the perimeter fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

It is most definitely not my first option but is looking like my only option at this stage,

It is for his own safety as much as anything as there is lots of farms around me with farmers who will shoot him if they see him near their land

I have read everything i can on them and i think they only give a static shock as opposed to a hard shock,

The kennel i rescued him from recommend them also so they cant be too bad,

I really love my dog and dont want to hurt him but also dont want anything to happen to him???

Any more thoughts,

Why are some so expensive and others much cheaper???

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Hi,

The only experience I have of them is friends of ours in Australia have a four year old Rottweiler, fabulous dog but far far far too clever for his own good!! He kept getting out of their garden which was completely fenced in (he wasnt neutered and after one of his escapes became a daddy :D) As you know yourself each time he disappeared it was very distressing for our friends and their kids so as a last resort they ordered one of these things off ebay. We happened to be over in OZ visiting them when it came, if I remember correctly Noah (the dog) tried crossing the fence maybe three times and never tried again (I assume this is how they work).

Now I'm not saying whether the use of these devices is a good or a bad thing or whether or not I infact agree with them, we are all entitled to make up our own minds on them but this is my experience of them, hope it helps you come to a decision!

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the advice, I have a normal electric fence and a chicken wire fence near two of the sides so am not sure if its going to work like i want it too, It may interfere with the RF Signal

It is becoming quite annoying at this stage,

I may get one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

personally i would never ever ever ever use a shock collar on my dog, and I would be appalled if any of my friends did!

I thought you were going to fence in the front area of your garden and were going to exercise the dog lots and then keep him inside? Thats the most humane thing to do in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I have fenced in my garden but he is getting over or under the fences now,

I excercise him every morning and every evening, I bring him Mountain biking a lot of evening so he gets loads of excericise but he still gets curious and heads out of my fencing,

Im going to try and dig down under the fencing now and place more timber very low and see if that does the job. :)

ste2006 wrote: »
    I have fenced in my garden but he is getting over or under the fences now,

I excercise him every morning and every evening, I bring him Mountain biking a lot of evening so he gets loads of excericise but he still gets curious and heads out of my fencing,

Im going to try and dig down under the fencing now and place more timber very low and see if that does the job. :)

Just keep him in your house when your not home? Crate train him!

He liked to roam around when im not there,

I would feel very bad leaving the poor guy in a crate,

I ordered a load of timber this morning from the builders providers so another try at keeping him in :-)

Ill let you know how it goes

ste2006 wrote: »
    He liked to roam around when im not there,

I would feel very bad leaving the poor guy in a crate,

My dog's crate trained, and now she loves her crate, its her safety zone and her own territory.
    If you exercise the dog before you leave, he'd be more than happy in the crate with a stuffed kong (more fair than giving the dog an electric shock:D)
    Just make sure you crate train correctly and it will help you and your dog out so so much!

I have fenced off the bottom of my fencing so he is enclosed again,

He now has a big area to roam in again,

I must do some work on his Kennel now and he will be flying it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

What about adding extra height onto your fence and using some sort of thick chicken wire between the rails to stop him going out through it? Same underneath the fence - an extra rail down to the ground (if not under it) with wire?

You mention that you have chicken and electric fence wire on other sides of the garden. Is that to keep the dog in? And does your dog respect the electrified wire? I'm not familiar with the dog radio fences, so I'm not sure if there's any/much difference between a mild shock from an electric fence and a shock from a radio dog fence? However, a radio dog fence is designed specifically for keeping dogs in, so that might be a "better" option than the electric wire you have?*

I'm not here to say that you should or should not use these methods. All I know is that you need to do something to keep your dog in. A dog that consistently escapes from the garden, whether you're in the house or not, is a liability and a danger to other people, regardless of how gentle he is. He could cause an accident, frighten people, or worry livestock, or, worse still, be injured/killed in an accident or be shot by a landowner for wandering onto their land. In the best interests of your dog, you need to do something about it very quickly, whatever you decide on.

*Slightly off topic here, but can anyone actually tell me what's the difference between a shock from an electric fencer and a shock from a shock collar?

Hi,

No the side with the sheep wire and electric fence is to keep horses in but it works to keep my dog out of the field also,

He is staying in now, He is no good at jumping and kept going under the fence, I have installed 7 x 1 Treated timber under the fence all around and that seems to be doing the trick,

He roams now where he is supposed to so we are good for another while anyway :-)

Thanks for all the advice,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

i'm no sure about the static shock v's hard shock thing, i've tested it in my hand a few times and it gives a good old kick.

But i think thats a small price to pay for a life of freedom and safety in the garden. Most dogs are very quick to learn and would experience very few shocks, less than 3 would be normal. I've had more myself!
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Hey, i work in a pet shop but if you have an issue with the static shock hurting the dog, i would advise against it, i've been shocked loads by them collars and the shock can go the whole way up your arm.

If he's an intelligent dog, then it will work but it's as much to do with the training of the dog to use the system as well as the wire being put down correctly. I'd advise the petsafe ones as the electronics have a lifetime guarantee..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Radio fences are great inventions. Once a dog learns it's boundary it will not get any shock. Most radio fences will give a gentle warning before it's most severe jolt, and the dog will soon learn to recognise that is really their boundary.

For the people who say they are cruel? I think they are putting human emotions and feelings into animals that do not exist. The shock does not harm the animal and leave no long-lasting effect, (except to remind them when they are close to the boundary).

It's much better to have a dog contained by such a fence than to have it getting out and causing damage to itself or others.

Advertisement