Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Addiction Counselling Course

• 21-05-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to do a short course in Addiction Therapy/Counselling - I have a BA in Criminal Justice and an MA in Human Rights and Criminal Justice, but I am going to be working with youth who are at high risk of becoming offenders and drug users, hence I would like to have some course done on addiction counselling and therapy.

I would like to do it by distance learning and I have been looking online. the only one I see whic is coming up is a Certificate in Addiction Studies and its supplied by ATI?? The link is:

http://www.addiction.ie/certificate_in__addiction_studie.html

Does anyone know anything about this course?? is it accredited or even worth doing?

Ive been looking on the website and the company appears to be founded by A Trinity College trained Psychotherapist (which woulld lead you to believe its a good course?) However, I cant seem to find any information or feedback from anyone who has completed the course.

Has anyone done it already or does anyone know anything about the course ot ATI?

Many thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

What do you want out of it is the big question. I'm in the HSE Addiction Services for well lets say too long;) If you want a counselling qualification do a psychotherapy training, we finally got rid of the term "Addiction Counsellor" about 5 years ago, it supplies a false sense of what is involved in therapy with addicts.

The addiction in and of itself is a complex area that is without the rest of the stuff we deal with:
    History of Sexual Abuse,
    Guilt and Shame associated with Street Work.
    Bereavement issues/living with a terminal/infectious illness,
    Exposure to Violence,
    Dual Diagnosis,
    Poly-Drug Use
    Long Term Criminality,
    Social Services Involvement.
    Suicide.

The above is just a small part of the work the list just goes on and on. My point being if you think the above course with qualifies you as a therapist you need to have a re-think. The course looks fine if you just want to get a better understanding of addiction, have a look at the I.A.A.A.C. website to get a sense of what is needed to work therapeutically with the area, and then there is personal therapy and supervision.

I teach a short course on addiction myself, the thing I constantly tell students is that addiction is such a complex area that we need to move on from the thinking that a short one year course is all that is needed to work in the area.

So that would be my 2cents, I know some people that did their degrees there they work as project workers and the like, they are glad they done the course and they do believe that they benefited from it, but they state that they would not study there again.

I don't wish to sound so negative, it's just that I have and continue to see clients damaged by people who think they can conduct therapy after minimal training. As you mention wanting to work in a therapeutic manner I really suggest you look at training as a therapist first, the look at the addiction area.

To give you a personal example I had to do a year long course in CBT with Leeds University a few years back, a very serious course with lots of practical training as well as the academic side, I would not consider myself a CBT therapist after such a short training.

Now to be fair the above are my opinions, the HSE only requires its counsellors to be Diploma level, so nothing I said above is written in stone. Anyway I hope the above was of some help to you and best of luck with whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Odysseus wrote: »
    What do you want out of it is the big question. I'm in the HSE Addiction Services for well lets say too long;) If you want a counselling qualification do a psychotherapy training, we finally got rid of the term "Addiction Counsellor" about 5 years ago, it supplies a false sense of what is involved in therapy with addicts.

The addiction in and of itself is a complex area that is without the rest of the stuff we deal with:
    History of Sexual Abuse,
    Guilt and Shame associated with Street Work.
    Bereavement issues/living with a terminal/infectious illness,
    Exposure to Violence,
    Dual Diagnosis,
    Poly-Drug Use
    Long Term Criminality,
    Social Services Involvement.
    Suicide.

The above is just a small part of the work the list just goes on and on. My point being if you think the above course with qualifies you as a therapist you need to have a re-think. The course looks fine if you just want to get a better understanding of addiction, have a look at the I.A.A.A.C. website to get a sense of what is needed to work therapeutically with the area, and then there is personal therapy and supervision.

I teach a short course on addiction myself, the thing I constantly tell students is that addiction is such a complex area that we need to move on from the thinking that a short one year course is all that is needed to work in the area.

So that would be my 2cents, I know some people that did their degrees there they work as project workers and the like, they are glad they done the course and they do believe that they benefited from it, but they state that they would not study there again.

I don't wish to sound so negative, it's just that I have and continue to see clients damaged by people who think they can conduct therapy after minimal training. As you mention wanting to work in a therapeutic manner I really suggest you look at training as a therapist first, the look at the addiction area.

To give you a personal example I had to do a year long course in CBT with Leeds University a few years back, a very serious course with lots of practical training as well as the academic side, I would not consider myself a CBT therapist after such a short training.

Now to be fair the above are my opinions, the HSE only requires its counsellors to be Diploma level, so nothing I said above is written in stone. Anyway I hope the above was of some help to you and best of luck with whatever you decide

Hey.

Thanks for your post. Im not sure if my OP was misleading or what, but I dont intend to work as a therapist. I have a placement set up working with Youths inn a Youth Centre and I was just really looking for a course that would give me some basic information on addictions/drug uses... in general, introductory terms.

I am aware and totally appreciate that to practise as an addiction therpaist would require extensive education, training and pratcise within the area. I do not intend to offer advice, counselling or therapy of any nature to the youths as there are counselling/addiction facilities within the centre which I can direct them towards if needs be.

As for the coutrse at ATI, Im unsure if tis worth doing as such? As I said, Im just looking for an introductory course to give me a taster for the area.

:)

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Hey.

Thanks for your post. Im not sure if my OP was misleading or what, but I dont intend to work as a therapist. I have a placement set up working with Youths inn a Youth Centre and I was just really looking for a course that would give me some basic information on addictions/drug uses... in general, introductory terms.

I am aware and totally appreciate that to practise as an addiction therpaist would require extensive education, training and pratcise within the area. I do not intend to offer advice, counselling or therapy of any nature to the youths as there are counselling/addiction facilities within the centre which I can direct them towards if needs be.

As for the coutrse at ATI, Im unsure if tis worth doing as such? As I said, Im just looking for an introductory course to give me a taster for the area.

:)

In that case how about one of the 12 evening courses that places like DBS and the Independant College run. One evening a week for 12 weeks no big commitment, will give you an introductory and an insight to the area. However, qualification wise they really mean little, but then again you can't expect one after 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Odysseus wrote: »
    In that case how about one of the 12 evening courses that places like DBS and the Independant College run. One evening a week for 12 weeks no big commitment, will give you an introductory and an insight to the area. However, qualification wise they really mean little, but then again you can't expect one after 12 weeks.

Exactly, Im not looking for qualifications in this area as such- so they would be good if they werent based in Dublin. Im afraid whatever course I choose will have to be by distance, as Im tied to my home town and the moment and commuting (even for onr night a week) isnt an option for me any longer. So Im really stuck between a rock and a hard place ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I think that course is fine for your needs. Historically ATI haven't had a good reputation, but that's for the quality of their training of therapists. The topics that course covers are the ones one would wish it to for your purpose, how good the materials are can only be answered by someone who has done it. But there's no reason to think that the materials would not be good, and they have some good people attached to their institute these days.

• Advertisement

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Exactly, Im not looking for qualifications in this area as such- so they would be good if they werent based in Dublin. Im afraid whatever course I choose will have to be by distance, as Im tied to my home town and the moment and commuting (even for onr night a week) isnt an option for me any longer. So Im really stuck between a rock and a hard place ! :(

In that case as Hotspur said it looks like this is the course for you. I think a few of us here who work in and around the area the would be interested to hear what you think of the programme. So come back and give us all your opinion of it, if you decide to do it. Sorry I fell into the trap of thinking that all posters are in Dublin or can commute to it with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Have you considered youth-at-risk mentoring programs? See this (unfortunately past-due grant proposal) link for detailed information about such programs in the USA:
    http://www.ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/grants/solicitations/FY2009/NationalMentoringTTA.pdf

USA graduate programs emphasizing youth-at-risk:
    http://www.atriskeducation.net/resources/studies.html

Future 2011 American youth-at-risk conference link:
    http://ceps.georgiasouthern.edu/conted/nationalyouthatrisk.html

Pennsylvania State University has an online education certificate program for qualifying providers of youth-at-risk programs. Link:
    http://bulletins.psu.edu/bulletins/whitebook/certificates.cfm?program=serv_youth_risk-pbc.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ManfromDublin

You've posted this in 2 threads already, there's no point in reviving old threads to make the same point.
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CBTman21

A total of 3 posts in boards, all on the same subject, within minutes of each other, makes me very suspicious AND giving a link to the institute in question??? Shilling, therefore deletion. JC

Advertisement