Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where can you drive off road??

Options
  • 20-05-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all,

I thought it would be interesting to find out places people have been off road and where you can go for example is there any mountains you can drive up by using dirt trails etc?

Before anyone says it... yes I know there are clubs you can join to use forrests but I would like to know if there are any places you can go yourself with a few others... and yes I know most off road driving is not allowed but if you read most of the signs on the barriers you will read they have been put there to prevent dumping.

Is there any decent tracks in glenmalure area?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

If you look in the sticky at the head of the page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055779410 you'll see that the answer is mostly no. As to your particular area I don't know, maybe someone else will but don't hold your breath.

Will leave this here for a day and then move it to the above thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Yes I read it but it went on a good bit about clubs and so on, If I found a few tracks to drive on in the matter of a few weeks I am sure there are plenty more out there, thought this would be a good idea to find them and also for other interested in off roading.

I think this is the only country where you are so limited to what you can do compared to other countries where you can drive for hundreds of miles off road and not having to worry about somebody reporting you or any of that rubbish :mad:

There's a few around alright, especially up in the NW but there isn't enough elsewhere to make a good joined up trip, it was something the Cork lads were complaining about the other day.

In the UK, it's an uphill battle against the anti's over use of public rights of way, long lengths have been lost for good to the bobble hatted brigade. It's not until you get to Spain or Eastern Europe that you get real freedom to wander.

Yeah I think they should back of a bit and let some of us have a bit of fun but its the rest that spoil it on us like dumping and people seuing land owners etc its a pity you have to travel abroad to find that freedom.

I was wondering if there was any tracks in the dublin/wicklow mountains you can use that aint as poplular to walkers?

I'm off to Dartfield now for a spot of off roading ;)
    Lets see if you get any useful info over the weekend.

• Advertisement

where abouts is that? what is it like? any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

Mr CJ wrote: »
    where abouts is that? what is it like? any good?
    It is mentioned in the last page of the free off roading thread .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

As a landowner, I love this. Where can I drive my 4by without paying?
    Up and down your effin driveway.

I got up last sunday, and was greeeted by the roar of a multitude of modded 4*4's pootling across my hillside. I toddled along(+12 bore) and enquired of the assembled host what exactly they thought they were at?? The reply was that they were just "offroading".
    Super, I replied, but would you mind focking off and "offroading" on your own land, cos that bit of Ireland your "offroading" on cost me 1.5 million euro, and I quite like it the way it is. The answer was a load of abuse, but seeeing as I am 1 part flesh and 3 parts cnut, the abuse was short lived and they assembled their massed ranks of jeep wonks and departed. I would love their addressses, so I could take my Daihatsu 4trak and pull donuts in their front gardens. I regard my land as my garden, so it annoys me a "bit" when lads take the mick with it. If you want to careen around a bit of land, go buy some, and do whatever you like with it. If you want to test out your new diff and snorkel on my bit of Ireland, expect to have a big ignorant fecker extracting your teeth without an anesthetic. Im sure a few others share my views, and a few others not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

dunsandin wrote: »

I got up last sunday, and was greeeted by the roar of a multitude of modded 4*4's pootling across my hillside. I toddled along(+12 bore) and enquired of the assembled host what exactly they thought they were at?? The reply was that they were just "offroading".
    Super, I replied, but would you mind focking off and "offroading" on your own land, cos that bit of Ireland your "offroading" on cost me 1.5 million euro, and I quite like it the way it is. The answer was a load of abuse, but seeeing as I am 1 part flesh and 3 parts cnut, the abuse was short lived and they assembled their massed ranks of jeep wonks and departed. I would love their addressses, so I could take my Daihatsu 4trak and pull donuts in their front gardens. I regard my land as my garden, so it annoys me a "bit" when lads take the mick with it. If you want to careen around a bit of land, go buy some, and do whatever you like with it. If you want to test out your new diff and snorkel on my bit of Ireland, expect to have a big ignorant fecker extracting your teeth without an anesthetic. Im sure a few others share my views, and a few others not to.
    NOT REALLY

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

Obviously the lads that trespassed on your land were wrong and they are the sort that give 4x4ers a bad name. What CJ is looking for (and my thread here too) is some waste ground that we can LEGALY drive on without causing nusance or hinderance to anyone . The more pieces of wasteland that are available, the less likelyhood there is of unsrupulous 4x4ers tresspasing on your land.

• Advertisement

Dunsandin, I find your comments abbusive, first of all was I on your land? no, have I any intentions of going on to your land? no.

Fair enough anyone trespassing on your land is in the wrong and yes you have a right to be pised of but thats life, you are bound to have problems with trespassing when you buy alot of land anyone who thinks otherwise is not thinking straight but as Deadly Dave mentioned I am not talking about your land or any other private land I am talking about land owned by the council or state.

There are hundreds of miles of tracks locked away only for hill walkers to benefit from. People say 4x4 ruin tracks... I and im sure I speak for everyone else would be prepared to pay for some sort of offroad licence or tax to be able to use these, at the end of the day it is a bit of harmless fun we are having, I think it is about time they open up some of the barriers and dedicate certain lanes to 4x4ers.

OK peeps, back from Dartfield after a good weekend, can see this getting a bit emotive so hang fire until I catch up on some sleep and we'll see where this is going or not ;)

I don't think anything else useful is going to come out of thread so I 'm going to lock it.

If anyone does come up with positive suggestions for Mr CJ they can stick them in the sticky green lane thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement