Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PCI Interview

Options
  • 18-05-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey all,

I will be applying for the diploma/degree in psychotherapy and counselling in PCI, and I'm am just wondering if there is anything I could do to prepare for the interview. I know there is a group interview first, and then a one on one.

Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Fembo wrote: »
    Hey all,

I will be applying for the diploma/degree in psychotherapy and counselling in PCI, and I'm am just wondering if there is anything I could do to prepare for the interview. I know there is a group interview first, and then a one on one.

Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated!

In general with any interview like this, the college is trying to establish that you possess the ability to complete the course and that your not a "whack job" to use a technical term. So familiarise youself with the material you will be studying like for areas that you are interested in, so that you can try ask questions about that area, as well as highlighting any previous courses you completed.

Have an idea of what use you want to do with the qualification to when you have finished, in other words try have some plan of what you hope the course will enable you to do, and where you would like to go with. This doesn't have to be set in stone, but if you can try make it look that the course is part of a bigger plan.

If you have any experience in a related area metion it, and the same with any personal development you have undertaken. I'm a bit short on time now, but if I can think of anything else I'll try post it latter. The important thing is just try be yourself and don't get too anxious about it.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I also wouldn't sweat it too much, PCI are a pretty low threshold college. Have you done a foundation course? If so then you're probably a shoe in already. I suppose just be aware that you do 50 hours of personal therapy, and you have to do 100 hours of client work.

PCI are very personal development orientated, so an acceptance of, and commitment to, your own personal development over the course of the programme is key. Any knowledge of psychotherapeutic modalities or such isn't. Being able to put across a mature and self-reflective orientation will be mostly what they are looking for.

You will be asked about your ability to commit to both the temporal and financial aspects of it. You will be asked about how much social support you have available. They may ask you about how you tend to function in groups. You will probably be asked about any personal experience of therapy in the past (having had it is a plus).

So Fembo, what are your reasons for wanting to become a psychotherapist? :)

It's okay, as Odysseus says they are just rooting out whack jobs, if it were another course you might have trouble getting in, nut PCI take in so many people each year that I wouldn't worry :)

Advertisement