Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stolen dogs

• 17-05-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

has anyone heard of dog stealing going on
    i have heard that in parts of cork and kerry there are dogs small dogs being stolen
    what are they being taken for
    my neighbour has come and warned me to keep eye opened on my dogs, as they are small
    has any one else heard of this
    i thought that there are so many animals needing homes, that there would be no need to steal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

goat2 wrote: »
    what are they being taken for
    Baiting probably :(

Either here or in the UK. You wouldn't leave your chlidren outside for hours unattended, so I don't understand why people leave their dogs vulnerable like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

around here its happening a lot, a lot of gun dogs and jack russ, i heard a man saying that a lot go to england, but not sure if theres truth in that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Dogs get stolen for differing reasons.

Some get stolen for fighting, some are stolen to sell on (if it's pedigree) or ship out and sell on. I live in south Dublin and I've heard lots of stories of dogs being stolen, especially the pedigree ones. People resell and make money.

You just need to try and make sure your dog is secure at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

star-pants wrote: »
    Dogs get stolen for differing reasons.

Some get stolen for fighting, some are stolen to sell on (if it's pedigree) or ship out and sell on. I live in south Dublin and I've heard lots of stories of dogs being stolen, especially the pedigree ones. People resell and make money.

You just need to try and make sure your dog is secure at all times.
    has anyone ever been caught stealing
    i thought we had neighbourhood watch
    here where i live, we have agreed to look out for one another
    and like another poster said that when he/she is out the dogs are in
    i do the same
    but when people are home this could happen too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye there is usually neighbour hood watch but sometimes it's done when you mightn't realise.
    Some people have had dogs stolen when they leave them outside the shop (one of many reasons why I'd never do that). You just have to try and be vigilant as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

My friends two minature yorkies got robbed from her garden while her mam was at home. She left them out, as you would with any dog and went to leave them back in long after and they were gone. They got a call a week later (from a phone they borrowed off a passer by) asking questions and wanting money and they said they would ring back and never did. Dogs still missing and this was Aug gone. Terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I've heard of a few jack russels out in Bray that have been stolen by travellers and sold on. One was sold on to another traveller family, I presume to use for hunting.

I'd definitely be extra vigilant with my dogs after hearing this, although mine arn't pedigree or anything. I don't think I'd leave them in the garden by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Eemia wrote: »
    My friends two minature yorkies got robbed from her garden while her mam was at home. She left them out, as you would with any dog and went to leave them back in long after and they were gone. They got a call a week later (from a phone they borrowed off a passer by) asking questions and wanting money and they said they would ring back and never did. Dogs still missing and this was Aug gone. Terrible!
    little youkies, i guess they got good money for them, that must be terrible for the owner, wondering where they are and if they are being looked after well

Advertisement