Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Docklands - The big question!

• 13-05-2010 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

As we all know, Docklands station isn't connected to the Phoenix Park Tunnel line. In 2004 (when it was being planned) IE said it would be. When it started construction, IE said it wouldn't be connected to the PPT line and that was because it had to be sited in its current location due to proposed interconnector works.

So take a look at the attached overhead view of Docklands and the surrounding track work. To the right of the station is waste ground, presumedly the site for a TBM. (according to IE) However the entire site was meant to be built on in accoradnce with the Spencer Dock Development Co. plans. Obviously considering the current economic situation, this is not proceeding. But aside from that, I pose this question. Could Docklands station have been positioned in this yard in order to serve the PPT route, without affecting any plans for interconnector works?

Here's the aerial view of the site.

Docklands Station.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I think they could've done it and still had ample room for a TBM if they'd simply angled the station slightly. Would be a fairly tight delta junction but I reckon it could be done with minimal or no CPOing.

That's a very simple analysis though based simply on looking at the picture, I'd have to look into it in more detail to make a better postulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Would be a fairly tight delta junction but I reckon it could be done with minimal or no CPOing.

Why would they CPO the land? They owned it until recently! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

DWCommuter wrote: »
    As we all know, Docklands station isn't connected to the Phoenix Park Tunnel line. In 2004 (when it was being planned) IE said it would be. When it started construction, IE said it wouldn't be connected to the PPT line and that was because it had to be sited in its current location due to proposed interconnector works.

So take a look at the attached overhead view of Docklands and the surrounding track work. To the right of the station is waste ground, presumedly the site for a TBM. (according to IE) However the entire site was meant to be built on in accoradnce with the Spencer Dock Development Co. plans. Obviously considering the current economic situation, this is not proceeding. But aside from that, I pose this question. Could Docklands station have been positioned in this yard in order to serve the PPT route, without affecting any plans for interconnector works?

Here's the aerial view of the site.

Docklands Station.jpg

If they really wanted Kildare route trains into docklands, they could even deal with it further back at Liffey Junction. They could have also made provision for the odd Northern line trains into Docklands, but they did not...

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

What is a TBM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

A Tunnel Boring Machine.

• Advertisement

DWCommuter wrote: »
    A Tunnel Boring Machine.

Thank you. Presumably these need a lot of "elbow room" to get down to the level at which they are tunnelling. Presumably, the need to accommodate the operation of such a machine explains why Docklands Station is so small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

This PDF might come in handy, it shows not only the current Docklands station, but the proposed Interconnector rail.

Looking at it like that, the present Docklands station feels rather short-sighted. I know it was only meant to be an interim solution, but it isn't going to integrate with the other Docklands station.

On the subject of a Phoenix Park link up? Surely the Interconnector line being there makes it far too tricky?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    This PDF might come in handy, it shows not only the current Docklands station, but the proposed Interconnector rail.

Looking at it like that, the present Docklands station feels rather short-sighted. I know it was only meant to be an interim solution, but it isn't going to integrate with the other Docklands station.

On the subject of a Phoenix Park link up? Surely the Interconnector line being there makes it far too tricky?

So far as I know, Irish Rail intends to build a permanent Docklands Station between Sherrif Street and the quay along the river Liffey. That means that is will be just across the street (Sherrif Street) from the entrance to the current Docklands Station.

I am not sure what you mean about the Interconnector Line making a link up (from the Kildare line to Docklands) "far too tricky." I cannot see how the Interconnecter tunnel would have any bearing on that matter. Such a link up working well would undermine the argument for the proposed underground line from Islandbridge to St Stephens Green. Have you noticed that, more and more, the project is presented as "Dart Underground" rather than the "Interconnector".

Even without the "Interconnector Argument", there is a good business case for Dart Underground. It would cost a lot but is likely to pay for itself within a decade.

P.S. Even if the tunnel from Islandbridge to St Stephens Green were never built, there would remain a sound case for a tunnel from Fairview through Docklands under the Liffey to somewhere in South Dublin. The Loop line through central Dublin from Connolly to Pearse is very congested. That is the real case for Dart Underground.

Advertisement