Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MossNyc

Update : May 10th 2010

So I have been in the the states for a month now and I received a "welcome letter" from us immigration which gave me a receipt number SRC-111 -****** which allows you to check your status online. This came on the 7th of may.

My status has now changed to document production and i should receive the physical greencard in about 30 days.

So with the port of entry being in shannon it took almost a month for the package to get to the processing center in the US before they started the processing for creating the card.

I know people who were here legally and did a change of status to a greencard and it only took about 2 weeks from approval to get the card

I will let you know the last step once i get the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

MossNyc wrote: »
    Id give them a ring if i was you just to make sure it was sent . I got mine about a week after although they could be busy with J1s and stuff at the moment. although once i had to wait nearly a month to get my passport back with a h1b in it as there was a screw up with something

here is a link with a phone number
    http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Ireland&cty=Dublin

Let us know how you get on

Sad news is that the staff that answer the phones can't deal with individual visa cases so i've had to email the embassy instead, which could take days to get an answer from........fingers crossed.....4 postal days left for it to arrive

Sad news is that the staff that answer the phones can't deal with individual visa cases so i've had to email the embassy instead, which could take days to get an answer from........fingers crossed.....4 postal days left for it to arrive

Things must have changed because they spoke to me when there was some confusion on the H1b.

I hope they get it done tomorrow and you usually get it the next day.

Best of luck im sure it will come through

Things must have changed because they spoke to me when there was some confusion on the H1b.

I hope they get it done tomorrow and you usually get it the next day.

Best of luck im sure it will come through

did you call the embassy directly......or the visa helpline?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

There is a number to call the embassy on this and they will only answer the phone between 11.45 and 12.30 or something like that - at least that was my experience, and it wasnt a nice one at that

• Advertisement

did you call the embassy directly......or the visa helpline?

I called directly . The number is in the link in one of the posts before. I think they only answer the phone between 1 and 4. They were not exactly the nicest but you deserve to know where your visa is

thanks mossnyc.....i'll give it a go tomorrow if it doesn't arrive in the post....i'm actually in the ballsbridge area tomorrow afternoon if it does turn out to be sitting in a drawer in the embassy

They send it registered as well which is why you give them an expensive stamped envelope so if they sent it and it wasnt delivered it should be trackable. But i guess you need them to tell you first that it has been sent.

Are you the only person now wishing this volcano thing actually delays your flight?

not really......if needs be i'll change my flight....but my wife really needs to get back asap.....applying for teaching jobs gets alot harder if she isn't there before college students graduate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mileyk2

I called directly . The number is in the link in one of the posts before. I think they only answer the phone between 1 and 4. They were not exactly the nicest but you deserve to know where your visa is

Hi Moss and to everyone, I just got notification that I have won this years lotto, although my case number is 24XXX i've been told this is very high and might not actually get a visa? anyway sending all the documents off today, any feedback would be great!

• Advertisement

Nice one. Congrats.

I guess all you can do is sit back and wait and get all your stuff together nearer the time and keep an eye on the monthly visa bulletins that start from September.
    If you need to build up money to be above the poverty line (>$14k).

It may be tight if you get an interview or not. Check out previous years results. Search for it and look for previous last bulletins for Europe figure. I heard they are cutting down on the Europe allocations though. But you probably will just make it and an interview would probably be in June or July next year.
    Nothing you can do that wait and hope I guess.
    Good luck

Looks like for June this year the cutoff is 31000 so you should be ok.
    I can't see them reducing it by anyway near that much.
    Guess it also depends on how many visas they give per case number - families, couples etc.
    Actually your interview than should be around May and will fund this out in march bulletin

What do you mean by above the poverty line? Is it that I just need a certain amount of money in my account? I also heard I can have an american say they sign an affidavit? I'm sure i'll be able to get this. The embassy will let me know of these options closer to time I assume?
    Thanks for the feedback
    thenobody wrote: »
    Nice one. Congrats.

I guess all you can do is sit back and wait and get all your stuff together nearer the time and keep an eye on the monthly visa bulletins that start from September.
    If you need to build up money to be above the poverty line (>$14k).

It may be tight if you get an interview or not. Check out previous years results. Search for it and look for previous last bulletins for Europe figure. I heard they are cutting down on the Europe allocations though. But you probably will just make it and an interview would probably be in June or July next year.
    Nothing you can do that wait and hope I guess.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭El Diablo 101

Congrats on getting the letter! Did you get it by regular post, or was it a registered letter?

Does anyone know if the allocation numbers eg. 24XXX are sent out in order?

mileyk2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by above the poverty line? Is it that I just need a certain amount of money in my account? I also heard I can have an american say they sign an affidavit? I'm sure i'll be able to get this. The embassy will let me know of these options closer to time I assume?
    Thanks for the feedback

You have to show a history of money you have above the poverty line which is around $14k or $15k. Or you can have a job offer letter. Or you can have an america citizen fill out an affidavit of support. This though is very very obtrusive and includes a huge amount of personal details (financial stuff, tax return info etc) they have to complete. You would really want to know the person really really well and be very close to. I certainly would never ask anyone to fill that for me.

Also, make sure you have an american address to add to your forms now for the greencard to be sent to. I think you can change it at the time of interview though but you need to put something in the forms now.

The information from the embassy is not great and doesnt include this stuff. All you get is an attachment to your appointment letter dated sometime in the 1990s. And also details of where to go for the medical exam (which has to be completed within 6 weeks of the interview).

The letter comes by normal post and is postmarked from Sweden. And whether they send them out sequentially and people receive them sequentially is impossible to answer.

Hi Moss and to everyone, I just got notification that I have won this years lotto, although my case number is 24XXX i've been told this is very high and might not actually get a visa? anyway sending all the documents off today, any feedback would be great!

Hey Man congrats on getting picked. Don't worry too much about everything just get all the stuff we spoke about here together and you will be fine.

Also my number from this year was above 23500 and my interview was in march so plan for interview around then. I dont think your number is that high. My attorney told me not to worry about the number as more than likely you will be called.

Best of luck
    Moss

Oh and dont bother with attorneys. Seems Moss did but you really dont need any of that stuff. Maybe being in the states already on another visa it could advisable but otherwise no point.
    Its all very straight forward and there should be no other expenses than the medical fee, 2"x2" photos, interview fees, stamps and envelope for interview, registered post to send the forms back and flights.

Oh and dont bother with attorneys. Seems Moss did but you really dont need any of that stuff. Maybe being in the states already on another visa it could advisable but otherwise no point.
    Its all very straight forward and there should be no other expenses than the medical fee, 2"x2" photos, interview fees, stamps and envelope for interview, registered post to send the forms back and flights.

Yeah i agree. I had a few different visa's over the years and was living in the states at the time. Also i was stopped once in shannon so it was worth it for me to have an attorney phrase some of my answers. If yours is not complicated just do it yourself

Yeah i agree. I had a few different visa's over the years and was living in the states at the time. Also i was stopped once in shannon so it was worth it for me to have an attorney phrase some of my answers. If yours is not complicated just do it yourself

I have never been stopped, or anything. I sent the forms today and for the american address mart I put in N/A because I was told that I didnt need it at this point? I'm sure this minor detail won't be a problem.
    Moss what was your experience with the poverty line thing? is it okay to top your bank account up close to the interview time? i'll be working but probably won't have that much? How fussy are the embassy in regards to this?
    Also for the job offer is all I need a letter or is there further confirmation needed?
    Thanks for all the help guys

Thanks for the feedback

you can see the figures here => http://liheap.ncat.org/profiles/povertytables/FY2010/popstate.htm

basically the US government set an amount for households of 1, 2, 3, 4 people and so on. anyone earning below the figure they set is considered below the "federal poverty line" and when applying for a visa it's vital that you can prove that you have enough to stay above the poverty line. In fact i think it may be 125% for visas. It's purely because they won't give a visa to somebody who will end up being a strain on social services in the US, just like you need to do the medical to prove that you won't be a burden on the healthcare system.

• Advertisement

I have never been stopped, or anything. I sent the forms today and for the american address mart I put in N/A because I was told that I didnt need it at this point? I'm sure this minor detail won't be a problem.
    Moss what was your experience with the poverty line thing? is it okay to top your bank account up close to the interview time? i'll be working but probably won't have that much? How fussy are the embassy in regards to this?
    Also for the job offer is all I need a letter or is there further confirmation needed?
    Thanks for all the help guys

I only had a few thousand in my account but was working full time already on a H1b so showed my pay slips and that was fine for the interview. If you had a letter from an employer in the US stating a job offer, salary etc Im sure that would work too.

Exactly.

and no. You cant just transfer money in a week before and then take it out after the interview.
    You will need to bring a number of months bank account statement. usually six months but take all you have and if the last statement you received (like mine) was a few months before the interview you will need to go to the bank and get them to print out the statement upto a week or two before the interview. Printing it from the internet will not do. You will need it to show your address and details etc. This is what the embassy told me, what I did and it was fine and I had to give them the originals (dont think i got them back). Maybe someone did print off the internet and it was fine but always best to get the most detailed and correct info.

and dont forget to apply for your police cert around january - maybe december (for an interview in march).

You got a degree and good job history record? If so and having enough money ($13538) and passing the medical and clean police record you should be fine.
    But you really will need to have a good bit more money than that when you make the move.

good news today.....even though it required two days of phone calls and a drive to dublin......i finally have my visa and won't have to change my flights on monday......now we just need the volcano to stay quiet for another few days

good news today.....even though it required two days of phone calls and a drive to dublin......i finally have my visa and won't have to change my flights on monday......now we just need the volcano to stay quiet for another few days

Thats great man. Congrats. What happened with it anyway ?

I only had a few thousand in my account but was working full time already on a H1b so showed my pay slips and that was fine for the interview. If you had a letter from an employer in the US stating a job offer, salary etc Im sure that would work too.

and theres the thing for Moss. Had a job already in the states so the money thing was not an issue. With no job offer or accepted affidavit you will need to show enough money in your financial history.

I do know of some people that have been refused because of this.
    Its at their discretion and everything plays into their decision.

yeh i'm gonna do the police cert around then, thanks.
    Do you think the fact i didnt put an address down will affect me?
    Exactly.

and no. You cant just transfer money in a week before and then take it out after the interview.
    You will need to bring a number of months bank account statement. usually six months but take all you have and if the last statement you received (like mine) was a few months before the interview you will need to go to the bank and get them to print out the statement upto a week or two before the interview. Printing it from the internet will not do. You will need it to show your address and details etc. This is what the embassy told me, what I did and it was fine and I had to give them the originals (dont think i got them back). Maybe someone did print off the internet and it was fine but always best to get the most detailed and correct info.

and dont forget to apply for your police cert around january - maybe december (for an interview in march).

You got a degree and good job history record? If so and having enough money ($13538) and passing the medical and clean police record you should be fine.
    But you really will need to have a good bit more money than that when you make the move.

yeh i'm gonna do the police cert around then, thanks.
    Do you think the fact i didnt put an address down will affect me?

No. You can ring the kentucky place before your number comes up to change any details and at the interview you can change the address too. just remember to!
    Not sure if PO Boxes are allowed. I think they are and you can rent them buts thats getting awkward now.

it was sitting in a drawer in the embassy........it should have been processed a fortnight ago.....it wasn't until i started hounding them that they realized that i wasn't just another impatient immigrant and that they had misplaced it.

In fairness to them, i spoke to them for the first time yesterday afternoon, the officer said she'd look into it, she called me at 8:20 this morning to say that it would be issued sometime today and i could collect it tomorrow. when i told her that i had no way to get to dublin tomorrow she told me to leave it with her and she'd see what she could do, she called back at 11 and told me that if i got to the embassy sometime between 2 and 3 i'd be able to get it then.

The only problem i had was with the system that is aimed at applicants not being able to contact the embassy directly...........the staff are very helpful if you can get a hold of them

it was sitting in a drawer in the embassy........it should have been processed a fortnight ago.....it wasn't until i started hounding them that they realized that i wasn't just another impatient immigrant and that they had misplaced it.

In fairness to them, i spoke to them for the first time yesterday afternoon, the officer said she'd look into it, she called me at 8:20 this morning to say that it would be issued sometime today and i could collect it tomorrow. when i told her that i had no way to get to dublin tomorrow she told me to leave it with her and she'd see what she could do, she called back at 11 and told me that if i got to the embassy sometime between 2 and 3 i'd be able to get it then.

The only problem i had was with the system that is aimed at applicants not being able to contact the embassy directly...........the staff are very helpful if you can get a hold of them

Typical eh!
    I hope you also got the sealed envelope for immigration!

• Advertisement

Yeah , the same thing happened to me with my h1b it got put aside and eventually i was able to talk to someone who was able to look at it and get it finished
    . Ah well alls well that ends well :)

Advertisement