Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LOC Signs

Options
  • 08-05-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

What do these "LOC" signs stand for/represent? I see quite a few attached to poles in Dublin

locsign.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I'm not saying that this is an example of one but sometimes signs like this are used in film production to direct people to the shooting location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

It means LOC is that way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Jayuu wrote: »
    I'm not saying that this is an example of one but sometimes signs like this are used in film production to direct people to the shooting location.

Very true. There were signs all over Cork a few years back with

HTSTB

Baffled lots of people until The Hand that Shakes the barley came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Was it not "The Wind that Shakes the Barley"??

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

dcr22B wrote: »
    Was it not "The Wind that Shakes the Barley"??

aye, I thought I was wrong on that.!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

1916 wrote: »
    What do these "LOC" signs stand for/represent? I see quite a few attached to poles in Dublin

locsign.jpg

As a matter of curiousity, was that photo taken on the corner of Grosvenor Place and Kenilworth Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

As a matter of curiousity, was that photo taken on the corner of Grosvenor Place and Kenilworth Road?

Correct, you must have been looking out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

A quick search of the Irish Film and Television Network site reveals that there is a feature film called "Hound - The Legend of Cuchulainn" being filmed in Ireland during 2010. I reckon these are what the signs are for.

The film is being produced by Breakthru Films and Pillerstone Productions (the former seem to be a UK/Polish company and the latter an Irish production company) and is directed by Paul Bolger.

I attach the synopsis of the films from the Breakthru site for what its worth.

"Cuchulainn, born to the goddess of war and carnage, greatest warrior of Ireland, will become its executioner of peace.

Buried in the mythic ancient past lies an Ireland where spirits lived amongst their people, a world as much in flux as the present, in a perpetual cycle of war and truce. A clash of cultures and ideas as vital as any in our accelerated modern world.

In the brutal tragedy of Cu’s life lies the seeds of a united island, and a legend that reverberates down 2000 years of oral and written history to create Ireland’s greatest story.

BreakThru Films and Pillarstone Productions are creating a multi-platform global franchise based on the extraordinary legend of Cuchulainn and his world."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Jayuu wrote: »
    A quick search of the Irish Film and Television Network site reveals that there is a feature film called "Hound - The Legend of Cuchulainn" being filmed in Ireland during 2010. I reckon these are what the signs are for.

The film is being produced by Breakthru Films and Pillerstone Productions (the former seem to be a UK/Polish company and the latter an Irish production company) and is directed by Paul Bolger.

I attach the synopsis of the films from the Breakthru site for what its worth.

"Cuchulainn, born to the goddess of war and carnage, greatest warrior of Ireland, will become its executioner of peace.

Buried in the mythic ancient past lies an Ireland where spirits lived amongst their people, a world as much in flux as the present, in a perpetual cycle of war and truce. A clash of cultures and ideas as vital as any in our accelerated modern world.

In the brutal tragedy of Cu’s life lies the seeds of a united island, and a legend that reverberates down 2000 years of oral and written history to create Ireland’s greatest story.

BreakThru Films and Pillarstone Productions are creating a multi-platform global franchise based on the extraordinary legend of Cuchulainn and his world."

Well I see Hollywood is taking it's usual liberties with mythology, CuChulainn was not born of a goddess let alone one of the war goddesses (Morrigan/Nemhain/Badb). His mother was Conchobar's sister, though he was the son of the god Lugh.

Advertisement