Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

apparently the scriptwriter is meant to be lame. Looking forward to book 8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Book 8, what!? Scratch that, just clicked on the link.

I could only ever have imagined Clint Eastwood (in the dirty harry era) playing Roland though, so no sure how enthused i would be about a film, struggling to think of who would suit now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hmm, don't know about this. It's odd, King's books when turned to film are either absolutely amazing, or truly shocking. There's no middle, decent. It's either really good or really bad, and I can see this being really bad. Hasn't it been under discussion for years? Clint would have been the perfect choice for Roland. Just a bit too old now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Edit-nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

apparently the scriptwriter is meant to be lame. Looking forward to book 8 though.

Apart from Batman & Robin I wouldn't entirely say Akiva Goldsman is lame. For the most part, he's written good scripts that have been executed terribly. With The Dark Tower series he has great source material to work with too. However, Ron Howard will destroy this. There's no way in hell he can properly capture the gritty feel and epic scope of the novels.

As for an eight novel, would King please let The Dark Tower die? He already made the perfect ending, a filler novel for the mid section of the story with only damage this achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

TDT are my favourite Kings books and my favourite series by any author too so I would be very excited to see them made.Whether they will be made well is another kettle of fish.While the novels arent on the same scale of Lord of the Rings,they are still massive in context and landscape with alot of cool mutants/monsters/etc.

As for who should play Roland,I wouldnt balk at someone like Viggo Mortenson.He has grown in stature since LOTR (The Road,Eastern Promises,History of Violence) and I think he could pull off the dark and brooding soul that is Roland Deschain.I shall be keeping a close eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Book 8, what!? Scratch that, just clicked on the link.

I could only ever have imagined Clint Eastwood (in the dirty harry era) playing Roland though, so no sure how enthused i would be about a film, struggling to think of who would suit now?

The character of Roland was somewhat based on Eastwood's Man With No Name/Dirty Harry Persona, similar to how Judge Dredd was influenced by Eastwood, along with a string of other comic book book characters and characters in a hell of a lot of books. I see a lot of the Josey Wales persona in Roland, especially in the way he gets attachments to other characters, and how their fate affects him.

For some reason I think Hugh Jackman could play the role of Roland nowadays. I have always thought him right to play the role of Eastwood if there was a film about Eastwood. He shares many facial similarites to a younger Eastwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Good news but the quality of a lot of King adaptations have been found wanting hopefully this will be different.

Kess73 wrote: »
    For some reason I think Hugh Jackman could play the role of Roland nowadays. I have always thought him right to play the role of Eastwood if there was a film about Eastwood. He shares many facial similarites to a younger Eastwood.

Oh God no.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

The Dark Tower - The Artwork

This is making me want to read it all again :D

Definitely who plays Roland (or Eddie or Odetta for that matter) could make or break this, hopefully they'll at least pick a "grown-up". Lots and LOTS of story cuts to get it into three films though.

So fingers crossed, I'm interested but dubious :(

Say thankya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I really enjoyed the first four books of the TDT series, but feel he rushed the last three possibly as he became all too aware of his own mortality after his accident, as he wanted to finish these as his legacy, and it finally fell somewhat flat.

Will the film also have two endings? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As roland it would have to be Viggo Mortensen , or else i would agree with hugh jackman , both would have the right look , i think Hugh jackman would really need to put in the effort to pull off the role, id prefer viggo myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i must actually finish this series, i got as far as book 5 and meant to pick up the last 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Dman001 wrote: »
    http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/stephen-kings-dark-tower-set-for-film-trilogy-tv-series-by-beautiful-mind-trio/

I heard Lost has a a lot similarities to The Dark Tower so I looked into the books.Never got to read them but they sounded interesting, and was wondering how they weren't made into some sort of Mini Series/TV Film.

Thought that was the Stand? Several of King's Books have been made into TV mini- series but apart from IT and maybe the Tommyknockers they were all awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd agree with Viggo and maybe Jackman, what about Guy Pearce? He was great in The Proposition!

b994as.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i was thinking guy pierce would be a good choice myself, not my favourite actor by any means but good for this part

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Good call on Guy Pearce. No way to Hugh Jackman. It's hard to look passed Viggo Mortensen for the role. In my opinion he seems to embody everything that Roland is. Maybe I phrased that wrong, I see him as being easily able to portray Roland. Although, if they're planning a t.v and film adaptation then it's hard to see actors of that scale signing on for the role. It would take years to complete. So Roland will most likely be played by either a complete unknown or a t.v actor.
    As for the source material, I both love and loathe Stephen King. I love how he approaches the work, and his attitude towards writing . But a lot of the time I loathe what he writes or the direction he takes a story. The first and fourth installments of this series are among the best things I have ever read. The fourth one was so good that I just took a break from finishing the series because I knew that the fifth would just disappoint.
    But lets be serious, Ron Howard is, at best, going to give us a serviceable movie, not great but not terrible. Just meh. Or just give us a large scale turd. Plus a whole lot of stuff is going to be chopped and changed.
    But don't worry, there's a fantastic chance that this will never actually happen at all. A lot of people have tried, and failed, to bring to the screen.

Interesting call on Guy Pearce.Defo a great actor - aside from The Proposition he was immense in Memento and LA Confidential but IMO he is too good looking to play a grizzled charector like Roland.Like others have mentioned,Eastwood in his prime would have been a shoe in.Like Littlebook said,whoever gets the lead roles will have a huge bearing on the movies/mini series being a success.

Strange how crap directors get their hands on franchises with such potential, MC G with Terminator and Ron Howard with DT? I would be more reassured if it were in the hands of Rodriguez, Aranofsky etc. The TV series idea sounds lame, unless its not padded out with crap to keep it going, there is a definate story thread to follow and any extraneous sub plots and cheap sets to save time and money aren't going to do DT justice. Its epic in scale, a trilogy with the 5th book essentially excluded or truncated, as nothing much happens in it, with the 6th and 7th merged together would be much better. No.1 and 2 could constitute the first film, 3 and 4, for the second and 6,7 with a small bit of 5 for the third.

• Don't think they should bother adapting this to be honest. But I reckon Ciaran Hinds from HBO's Rome would be good as Roland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

I really think pearce would be great for this movie.

but I read this week they are goin to adapt it too and movie then a Tv show.

Ive not read the graphic novels would like too but.

:)

cable842 wrote: »
    I really think pearce would be great for this movie.

but I read this week they are goin to adapt it too and movie then a Tv show.

Ive not read the graphic novels would like too but.

:)

The graphic novel, I think there's one though I could be wrong, is pretty faithful to the book, namely The Wizard and the Glass. The artwork is excellent for Marvel, normally I don't like Marvel artwork but this was up to 2000ad standards from 1995 for strips like Slaine or Finn. It was a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Don't think they should bother adapting this to be honest. But I reckon Ciaran Hinds from HBO's Rome would be good as Roland.
    I like that actor but as roland ? i dunno roland would be meant to have the classic western accent ,clint eastwood type accent really . Could he pull it off , and does he really have the rugged cowboy type look?

Im not goin to diss ron howard , i think he has the talent to make excellent films , but to convert this into a excellent trilogy it will take passion and will require for him to immerse himself in this world for years and unless hes a huge fan of the series i cant see him doing that.
    Hopefully we get more news soon!!

Ya guy pearce could pull it off , it will be hard to get actors to sign away their life for a few years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Jackman would be interesting. Mortensen or Pearse would a decent job.

What about Jim Caviesel? He was good enough in The Count of Monte Cristo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Interesting call on Guy Pearce.Defo a great actor - aside from The Proposition he was immense in Memento and LA Confidential but IMO he is too good looking to play a grizzled charector like Roland

I don't know if he could be considered too good looking. He only had a small role in The Road, and looked well grizzled, but that may have been because he was missing several teeth if my memory serves me.
    Viggo seems a little too obvious, no problems with that though

I feel I should admit that I've only read the first two books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

wow totally forgot there is a book of it how many books are there for Dark tower ?

I remember it came out with marvel a few years ago I just thought Stephen King wrote a few comic graphic novels :)
    The graphic novel, I think there's one though I could be wrong, is pretty faithful to the book, namely The Wizard and the Glass. The artwork is excellent for Marvel, normally I don't like Marvel artwork but this was up to 2000ad standards from 1995 for strips like Slaine or Finn. It was a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

Viggo Mortensen

Exactly who came to my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

How about Micheal Fassbender? He's great in everything he is in. Or Hugo Weaving? Oh or that guy that played Soloman Kane, James Purefoy? Whoever it is, he is going to have to be stoic, strong, wise looking, and have a commanding presence. But who to play the other characters?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Actually, Josh Brolin hasn't been mentioned at all...worth a shout too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

jasonorr wrote: »
    Actually, Josh Brolin hasn't been mentioned at all...worth a shout too!

+1, maybe it's Jonah Hex putting it in my head but he's the only decent Roland I can think of at the moment.

Also...this is gonna seem like a joke but...Richard Jenkins

Honestly, slap a wig on him and IMO he's a perfect Roland right down to the voice and everything. Fantastic actor to boot.

Advertisement