Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H.Dip Psychology Conversion Course UCC interview advice

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's an extremely general interview. You'll be asked why you want to do psychology, if you have any experience, what you're interested in, yadda yadda yadda. It's very informal and relaxed. You won't be asked anything tricky. PM me if you want more detailed information, and well done on getting an interview :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misslily

Vaunnie wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I have an interview too! Pretty nervous to be honest! Really want this course. But sure we will see how it goes. From talking to people its more of a getting to know you type interview, with the general questions of why you want the course, what made you interested in the course type stuff.

Though if anyone does have more information about it, I would greatly appreciate it!

There's really nothing more than can be said. Who's interviewing you? It lasts about 15 minutes I'd say, but can go over that if you're having a good time. It's like any interview, you just have to convince them that you really want a place on the course, and that you won't drop out if they give it to you. It probably helps if you have some idea of what area of psychology you'd like to pursue. For mine, I talked about how I want to get into Clinical Psychology. Several of us were asked if we had given any thought to what we'd like to do our third year project on, so if you have a vague topic in mind, they'd probably be impressed. If you haven't studied psychology before, have a read up on basic psychology areas so you can see what appeals to you.

In UCC, they have three main research focuses: People and Technology, psychological measurement, and Well Being & Social Engagement. Have a look through here to get a feel for the department.

Nearly all the h.dips in my year have studied psychology at some level before, so play up any study you've done into it.

Faith wrote: »
    There's really nothing more than can be said. Who's interviewing you? It lasts about 15 minutes I'd say, but can go over that if you're having a good time. It's like any interview, you just have to convince them that you really want a place on the course, and that you won't drop out if they give it to you. It probably helps if you have some idea of what area of psychology you'd like to pursue. For mine, I talked about how I want to get into Clinical Psychology. Several of us were asked if we had given any thought to what we'd like to do our third year project on, so if you have a vague topic in mind, they'd probably be impressed. If you haven't studied psychology before, have a read up on basic psychology areas so you can see what appeals to you.

In UCC, they have three main research focuses: People and Technology, psychological measurement, and Well Being & Social Engagement. Have a look through here to get a feel for the department.

Nearly all the h.dips in my year have studied psychology at some level before, so play up any study you've done into it.

just wanted to say cheers! the interview went well i think. but you know interviews you can never tell what exactly they are looking for. all a waiting game now.

I found out fairly quickly, I think. But my interview was held about a week after everyone elses.

Yeah, just checked. Had my interview on the 11th of May, and was offered a place on the 14th. So hopefully you won't have to wait too long to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Vaunnie

Wooooooo!!! So Ive just been offered a place on the course! Actually delighted! Just need to pull a 2.1 out of the bag for these finals and Im moving to Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 honeydrophoney

Hey!!! i just got accepted on the course too :D just need my 2:1 now!!! happy days..... looking forward to meeting you all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keody69

Hey sorry just wanted to contact someone about this, i got accepted to this course too but im so confused as to weather to do it. Ive heard its meant to be absolultly deadly so nervous. My number is 087-7725878, im in Cork already and did my degree in UCC, the thoughts od going back for the social side are fun but the study side scares me. I know i sound sad but just wanted to talk to someone about it, as you prob know the final decision has to be in Wednesday eeekkk!!! Anyone else who can help me make a decision i would really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

keody69 wrote: »
    Hey sorry just wanted to contact someone about this, i got accepted to this course too but im so confused as to weather to do it. Ive heard its meant to be absolultly deadly so nervous. My number is, im in Cork already and did my degree in UCC, the thoughts od going back for the social side are fun but the study side scares me. I know i sound sad but just wanted to talk to someone about it, as you prob know the final decision has to be in Wednesday eeekkk!!! Anyone else who can help me make a decision i would really appreciate it.

Id really take down your number if i were you...just in case. Maybe just ask if someone can talk to you about it and then pm them your number?

In my experience, there's a pretty heavy workload, especially as a h.dip. You do spend the majority of term time working on one assignment or another. As for the social side, there aren't many class parties or anything. In my year there was one or two class parties, one mystery tour and the ball. It might be better next year as I think the psych soc is being rejuvenated and they'll try to organise more events. But you are several years older than most of the class, which might affect your interest in the events. If you're looking to do a course purely for the social life, this course isn't for you. If your main aim is a psychology degree that you're willing to work hard for, then it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chanti06

Hey, I have a MA in History but have now decided that I would like to do the H.Dip in Psychology. I was just wondering how you guys are finding the course, if ye would recommend it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jodiebeat

I'm starting the H Dip on Monday so I'll let you know how it goes!! I've studied some psychology at undergrad level but judging by the module descriptions given it seems like a relatively heavy workload

• Registered Users Posts: 15 UCCnewbie11

Hey I'm starting the course on Monday! The workload is going to be pretty heavy from what I've heard what with assignments and presentations etc but if it's something you're really interested in then you should def go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jodiebeat

Brilliant see you Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 UCCnewbie11

Looking forward to it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Noramarie

Hi,
    Just inquiring about the higher dip in psychology.Does anybody know if the 4 year par-time course runs? If so what are the hours like by day? I am a primary teacher interested in the course,however I would have to travel from Tralee.Therefore if you or anyone knows of general times it would be super!Tanx :)

Advertisement