Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Counselling Course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thierrym

Hi Krankitty,
    You are right in saying that the work in Childline and other similar services is not accepted by the college as regard clinical practical experience, it is accepted as shadowing placement only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

We didn't do a shadowing placement.. What did it entail? I presume there was an element of watching/listening to someone else working, did you actually shadow people doing face to face counselling?

Hi Krankitty, The shadowing is in an observatory position. The degree that I am doing is "Counselling and addiction studies" so a shadowing placement would entail being in a treatment centre, being present at group therapy sessions and observing the workings of a treatment centre. I am about to do such a placement. However the N.C.I.I. has accepted that a placement in Childline is acceptable as a shadowing placement. I did Childline for the training it offers and the practical experience. Next year when I will be in the 4th and final year of the degree I will have to do 110 hours of a practical clinical placement. I hope to do this in the same treatment centre in which I will have done 2 weeks shadowing. This 110 hours will count towards the 450 hours required to become an accredited member of the I.A.A.A.C.
    Is it for a degree that you are studying? have you completed the course yet or are you still at it?
    Thierry

Sounds very interesting, and I'm sure it will be of benefit when you go to do your practical clinical placement.

It was a degree all right (counselling and psychotherapy), I've just finished this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

We didn't do a shadowing placement.. What did it entail? I presume there was an element of watching/listening to someone else working, did you actually shadow people doing face to face counselling?

Some courses are looking for this. I have posted about it before. I have no problem with having a student on a clinical placement. However, my boss have come to twice with that type of request. The student sits in on the session. No chance, it's not happening in my clinic, though I know our yooung persons programme facilitated it. It's just appalling. Either they are ready to see clients under supervision or send them back to me when they are ready to do so.

• Advertisement

Sounds very interesting, and I'm sure it will be of benefit when you go to do your practical clinical placement.

It was a degree all right (counselling and psychotherapy), I've just finished this week!!

Congrats.

Krankitty, congrats on finishing your degree course, i bet you' re well happy. I hope you exam results will come back brilliant.
    Odyseus, indeed sitting in private sessions is unacceptable as part of a shadowing placement. however i think it is ok to sit in a groupt therapy session in a treatment centre (I will be doing that soon). I am not unfamiliar with addiction and dependency and have a great understanding of it.

thierrym wrote: »
    Krankitty, congrats on finishing your degree course, i bet you' re well happy. I hope you exam results will come back brilliant.
    Odyseus, indeed sitting in private sessions is unacceptable as part of a shadowing placement. however i think it is ok to sit in a groupt therapy session in a treatment centre (I will be doing that soon). I am not unfamiliar with addiction and dependency and have a great understanding of it.

No I have no problem with the group therapy side of things, I have allowed that myself in the past with I used to facilitate group therapy; its an excellent learning opportunity. Just to note though I have refused three placements in the past couple of years because they where looking to sit in on individual sessions; really the course organisers need a good slap asking for that.

Then again I do have strong views on the subject, I had to video sessions a few years ago for a course the HSE where forcing on us. They tried then to make this a contant thing, the plan was to divide us into training groups and use that format for ongoing CPD. I pulled the plug on that, I'm aware of the concept behind it, and if others choose to work that way that's fine. I just have no time for it; I found it intrusive to the process.

I don't know your background on the last part, and most importantly I'm not having a go or trying to be funny; however, with addiction it really is a case of the more you learn the less you understand. Anyway I hope the placement goes well for you, once your working full time it get harder to get the time for good quality learning.

Out of interest if you don't mind answering. Where are you doing the placement?

Hi Odisseyus, I totally understand your point of view about sitting in on individual sessions. I also can' t imagine that a client would feel comfortable in this position. Same about the videoing of sessions.
    By background in addiction is "been there, done that" and feel I lucky to have come out the other side.
    From what you say I presume that you are currently working in the counselling/psychotherapy field. What do you mean when you say that as regards addiction "the more you learn the less you understand"?
    I presume that too many theories can get tangled up and even an ex-addict (if there is such a thing) can forget the rawness of it all when the head becomes crammed with theories.

I will be doing a shadowing placement in ALJEFF in Limerick for 2 weeks. The director of this centre is one of our lecturer on addiction.
    I can give feedback here if anyone wants.
    I am hoping to then do 110 hours clinical practical placement there during the course of my 4th and final year of my "counselling and addiction studies" degree with the N.C.I.I.

• Advertisement

thierrym wrote: »
    Hi Odisseyus, I totally understand your point of view about sitting in on individual sessions. I also can' t imagine that a client would feel comfortable in this position. Same about the videoing of sessions.
    By background in addiction is "been there, done that" and feel I lucky to have come out the other side.
    From what you say I presume that you are currently working in the counselling/psychotherapy field. What do you mean when you say that as regards addiction "the more you learn the less you understand"?
    I presume that too many theories can get tangled up and even an ex-addict (if there is such a thing) can forget the rawness of it all when the head becomes crammed with theories.

Hi Thierrym, no what I mean is addiction is such a complex issue, I have been working and teaching in the addiction field for over 12 years; working in different facilities. I currently work with the Addiction Services. By complex I mean that there is so much more to treatment than merely drug status.

I have people in therapy will may never be clean, the issues I see would include:
    Chaotic livestyles,
    Dual diagnoisis,
    Various traumas,
    Terminal illnesses,
    Abusive histories,
    Child protection issues,
    Criminality,
    Sex work,
    Anti Social Behaviour,
    Homelessness,
    Suicidie,

The list just goes on, as I sure you know from you studies treatment is not just about being clean or not. So that is what I mean when I say the more I know the less I understand. Human subjectivity is so complex and each person who sits in the chair in my office is different that I will never know enough.

I know peole who are in this game over 25 years and they still feel they lack the skills and understanding to work with some cases. That is the beauty of addiction for me and a lot of the people I know and work with the drug use is only the tip of the iceberg and merely a symptom of deeper issues.

The video sessions would be big in CBT, just not my cup of tea; but it works for some people. No I don't mean what you said in the last sentence. I believe you need a good theory to work, and having a history of addiction or being recovering if the person uses that term does not come into it. That only gives a person an insight in their addiction, not the person in front of them.

I did five years of analysis as part of my training, it does not apply to the person I'm treating if you get my point. I say this not in reference to your post, I have said it here many times. Some people feel that being in revcovery gives them a better insight, I personally don't believe, the only time I see it as a problem is when the person sees their way as the only way.

Anyway I have to head now, good luck with your studies.

Edit: I am a member myself, but the IAAAC is not the best organisation. If you can look at trying to join a another professional body as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Odysseus wrote: »
    Some courses are looking for this. I have posted about it before. I have no problem with having a student on a clinical placement. However, my boss have come to twice with that type of request. The student sits in on the session. No chance, it's not happening in my clinic, though I know our yooung persons programme facilitated it. It's just appalling. Either they are ready to see clients under supervision or send them back to me when they are ready to do so.

We do it in CBT. Guess it may have to do with the medical/health background of most CBT therapists. If medical students get to watch while a consultant does a rectal exam, the patient may be embarrassed but knows he is allowing it for the greater good. What better way for students to learn that to watch a competent professional at work, and discuss it afterwards?

And yeah, the students (and qualified professionals) often videotape sessions to show their supervisor. Helps maintain and improve standards.

All with the clients' consent, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 emnic

Hi!
    I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking to do a course that qualifies me to be a counselling clinician. I have a Psychology BA from UCD, and an MSc in Counselling Studies from the University of Edinburgh. My MSc was one year long and was a taught programme and consisted of a research dissertation and numerous hours of taught theory and some practical workshops with other students. This MSc does not provide a full professional training to work as a counsellor or psychotherapist in the United Kingdom, and it therefore does not include any clinical placements. It is accredited by COSCA, the professional body for counselling and psychotherapy in Scotland.

The two options I am looking into are:
    the Doctorate in Counselling Psychology at TCD - I had an interview but won't hear back for a few weeks - but I'm not counting on being offered a place;
    And the diploma in integrative counselling and psychotherapy in IICP - I have an interview in June - I knowthis course is accredited by IACP - but I am unsure how good this is. If anyone has done this course I would love to hear from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LadyZ

Hi,

Just wanted to say that if anyone is deciding to do the degree in DBS in psychotherapy and is looking for 1st year books - I have all the books required, unused. Am willing to sell at a good price. Please PM me for more details.

Thanks

We do it in CBT. Guess it may have to do with the medical/health background of most CBT therapists. If medical students get to watch while a consultant does a rectal exam, the patient may be embarrassed but knows he is allowing it for the greater good. What better way for students to learn that to watch a competent professional at work, and discuss it afterwards?

And yeah, the students (and qualified professionals) often videotape sessions to show their supervisor. Helps maintain and improve standards.

All with the clients' consent, of course.

Yeah of course JC, that would be one of the reasons I hear arond it. The people I know who practice that way have a lot of positivve things to say about it. Just not my cup of cup, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 harlot

Has anyone got any info on the Counselling Course offered in the Liberties College? I Don't think its accredited by the IACP. It's a full time course run every two years without astronomical fees. I'm desperate to start out on the road to counselling/ psychotherapy but the cost of all the various things is sending me into a bit of a spin. I don't want to do a useless course just because it is free but I also don't want to spend upwards of 30k if I don't have to.

Any thoughts?

If it's not accredited by a legitimate organisation, then you might be saving money but ultimately you might be wasting your time (which is money after all!) and if you want to work in this field you'll probably have to go back and do one of the other courses anyway. So it could end up being a false economy.

Just in case you are not aware, you might be eligible to claim tax back from your fees so it mightn't be quite as bad as it seems.

thanks Kranky. I'm waiting to hear back from the college about accreditation. Their website is a bit out of date and apparently last year they were still applying for it.

I thought that any of the courses from private institutes were not eligible for claiming tax back but I'll definitely look into it further.

I'm really not looking for a quick route in and I've no intention of doing any shady courses. I just really want to make sure I choose the right course.

thanks for getting back to me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HandyManny

Hi, unsure if in right forum, need IAHIP ( or IACP if not poss) counsellor for my personal counselling as part of a degree course but do not have a lot of money available and this is becoming a problem because of the rates charged and as a result therapists are not interested. I need several years of this so anyone interested its 40 hours per year for next 3 years. Could anyone PM me if interested in Dublin 18 area?

harlot wrote: »
    I thought that any of the courses from private institutes were not eligible for claiming tax back but I'll definitely look into it further.

I got my tax refund for fees for the DBS course. That was undergraduate by the way, I don't know if postgrad courses are also eligible.

• Advertisement

got tax refund for a part-time counselling degree in the N.C.I.I, Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

harlot wrote: »
    Has anyone got any info on the Counselling Course offered in the Liberties College? I Don't think its accredited by the IACP. It's a full time course run every two years without astronomical fees. I'm desperate to start out on the road to counselling/ psychotherapy but the cost of all the various things is sending me into a bit of a spin. I don't want to do a useless course just because it is free but I also don't want to spend upwards of 30k if I don't have to.

Any thoughts?

It certainly used to be accredited by the IACP, it may well be just that their accreditation ran out and needs to be reapplied for.

Maybe it's just their website is unclear. I tried calling them yesterday but couldn't get through to them.

Ok so I have applied for four courses in total - tcd doctorate in counselling psych which is my first choice, the diploma in the tivoli institute, the diploma is iicp, and the cbt diploma in Belfast cognitive centre. Not that I expect to be offered them all but I want to put together some thoughts on pros and cons... And would greatly appreciate advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

emnic wrote: »
    Ok so I have applied for four courses in total - tcd doctorate in counselling psych which is my first choice, the diploma in the tivoli institute, the diploma is iicp, and the cbt diploma in Belfast cognitive centre. Not that I expect to be offered them all but I want to put together some thoughts on pros and cons... And would greatly appreciate advice!!!

Obviously the Trinity Doctorate is the best choice career wise, you know that the cons are the high cost (€12k a year right?) and it's full time.

The diploma in Belfast requires having a qualification in counselling already doesn't it? I didn't think it was an entry qualification.

IICP has the pro of only being 2 years and the con that you won't get into the ICP or get the ECP with that programme. It also has the, in my opinion significant, con that it is heavily reality therapy based which is one of the least evidence based of the CBT family of therapies. if you haven't read all of Glasser's books and Wubbolding's then I suggest reading them before committing to that course, you may find it compares poorly to other therapies.

The Tivoli is good.

Did you not consider DCU and their grad diploma/Masters which can then lead to a doctorate?

Trinners is tough to get into and I'm waiting for my rejection letter in the post after 'a not so amazing' interview to be honest! But it's been my dream for a few years.... the money is a HUGE issue though!!! But I think I can apply for the maintainence grant seeing as its full-time which will cut costs for sure.

I'm 23 and you need to be 25 to apply for DCU I think...and I don't want to waste another 2 years of my life in meh jobs...

I already did my MSc in Counselling and Psychotherapy Studies at the University of Edinburgh so I think I have the entry requirements for Belfast Cognitive Therapy Centre... but I live in Dublin and travel expenses will add up!...

The thing is, I know if I don't get into TCD that I can reapply next year but of course there's no guarantee that I'll get in then either!

So I'm flustered... really not loving the sound of IICP, the more I hear about it! My interviews in June but not so sure I'll attend at this rate!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bnolan10101

I have been looking at this section of the notice board for the past few weeks and while I do not post comments on them, it was drawn to my attention. My name is Brian Nolan and I am member of APCP so rather been accused of shrilling let me openly state a few facts, not opinions, not speculation but facts.

(1) My name is Brian Nolan and I am a member of APCP, fact

(2) APCP is the Association of Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists in Ireland it represents 900 members. The website is www.apcp.ie , fact

(3) It is open only to those who are professionally qualified i.e. on the national framework of qualifications or it equivalent, fact

(4) It has signed a legal and binding agreement with the HSE the only professional body to do so, fact

(5) It doesn’t charge it members fees but offers a huge range of services free, fact

(6) It has a fully developed Continuous Professional Development Strategy, the only professional body to do so, fact

(7) It has developed collaborative agreements across the statutory sector and voluntary sectors, fact

(8) It has developed formal links with 3rd level collages including the National Counselling and Psychotherapy Institute of Ireland who have recently been awarded 5 new masters that will completely extend the profession of counselling and psychotherapy in Ireland, fact

(9) It is the only professional body with European contracts for the delivery of services, fact

(10)It is the only professional body with Chartered Status like those of the physiotherapists and accountants, a status that has been legally protected, fact

(11)All It members are independently accredited in terms of qualification at degree level or higher, fact

(12) It is the only professional body to give its members access to science direct and a range of other material which support their professionalism and at no charge, fact

(13)It has developed links with the VHI and other service agencies, fact
    Now if people who want to criticise what has been achieved and promote some other out of date organisations with no formal agreements with anybody, where people pay large sum for membership and get nothing in return, let me them state their case. Finally I will state our case its simply called www.apcp.ie and finally I can be contacted on bnolan10101@gmail.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The PSI has mandatory CPD requirements, yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bnolan10101

Sorry I was talking about psychotherapy bodies not psychology. Once again look at www.apcp.ie and you will see what is possible in a counselling and psychotherapy professional bod . No matter what you think about it you will have to agree it is a huge leap forward for our profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Sorry I was talking about psychotherapy bodies not psychology. .

I think you'll find that the ICP also accredits psychotherapists of many different approaches and re-accredits, based on CPD.

Advertisement