Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered AITI Tax Qualification Info and Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The continuous assessment is open book so to speak and at part three level is 15% of the personal tax exam. This was based on feedback from prior students that they can have an opportunity to sit a trial run so to speak and get constructive feedback on where they went wrong and right.

I think it is a good idea as it forces you to get to grips with the course early and not leave everything to the last minute, which with the breadth of the course is a guaranteed fail and also to get you used to the format.

We'll have to see how this affects pass rates in future but the old format ended up failing near on 60% on a first attempt at part three so it can't be a bad thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Yeah had quick look at the sample alright but was just worried that since i havent been to the lectures, that may be at a disadvantage on how to answer the questions. From looking at the solution, the method of answering is considerably different than when i did tax at the FAE. Much more theory re case law and rules rather than just the comp.

I know that we can bring in the Acts but can we bring in our manual aswel, thought i saw somewhere on the ITI site that you can but thought it might be wrong since we can't bring it into the April exam

From the AITI website:
    As per the AITI Student Handbook 2009/2010 and as part of the reform of the AITI qualification, continuous assessment has been introduced for the following module at Part 3 for 2009/2010.

Module Advanced Personal Taxes
    Material Learning outcomes covered in Chapters 1 to 6 of the Advanced Personal Taxes manual 2009/2010
    Amount 15% of Advanced Personal Taxes
    Date 23 January 2010 (July date to be confirmed)
    Time 15:30 to 17:00
    Length 1.5 hours
    Venue Dublin The Burlington Hotel, Upper Leeson Street, Dublin 4
    Cork The Clarion Hotel, Lapps Quay, Cork
    Limerick Mary Immaculate, Room 301, South Circular Road, Limerick
    Athlone The Sheraton Hotel, Gleeson Street, Athlone, Co Westmeath

Purpose of continuous assessment
    Provide students with feedback on how they performed in an Advanced Personal Taxes exam before the end of term examination
    Assess skills learnt in the research workshops

A sample paper will be available in the week commencing 14 December. These sample papers will be worked through at the January research workshops.

Impact on end of term exam:
    Students must have sat continuous assessment before presenting for the summer/autumn exams
    It is not necessary to have passed the continuous assessment before attempting the summer/autumn exams
    Summer/autumn exam is now 85% of total Advanced Personal Taxes mark
    The summer/autumn exam is 3.5 hours long and students are required to answer 5 out of 6 questions
    Topics covered in the continuous assessment may also be examined in the end of term exam
    Marks from continuous assessment and the end of term exam will be combined to determine if a student has passed (obtained a mark of 50% or higher) or failed Advanced Personal Taxes.

Students should note that they may only attempt continuous assessment once per academic year in either the January sitting (for the summer or autumn examinations) or in July (for the autumn examinations only).

Registration for continuous assessment and examinations
    If you have registered on the course for 2009/2010, you should have also completed and submitted your examination registration form indicating when and where you intend to sit continuous assessment. If you have not already done so, please download this form from the website, complete and submit it immediately.

Examination regulations
    Students should note that with the exception of references to the length of examination and exam hall material, the Rules for Examination Candidates in Section 11 of the AITI Student Handbook apply to continuous assessment.

What can you bring into the exam hall for continuous assessment?
    Direct Tax Acts (Irish Taxation Institute) or Tax Acts (Tottels); and
    Stamp Acts (Irish Taxation Institute)or Capital Taxes (Tottels); and
    Law of Capital Acquisitions Tax (Irish Taxation Institute)or Capital Taxes (Tottels); and
    The Advanced Personal Taxes manual (which may contain notes etc.)

Students are reminded that no annotations are permitted on the legislation for end of term examinations (please see Section 11 of the AITI Student Handbook for further details).

Results of CA
    Results of CA will be published online to students in early March 2010. The model solution and examiners’ report will also be available by this date.

For those registered on the 09/10 winter course, tutors will take students through a model approach to the CA during the final Research Skills workshops in March.

I intend to sit continuous assessment in January 2010 and present for exams in the summer 2010 sitting? What if I fail these examinations?

If you fail your summer examination, you can repeat your examinations in the autumn sitting. The results from your January 2010 CA will carry forward. You may not repeat CA in July 2010.

If you chose to present for your examinations in 2011, you will be required to present for continuous assessment (as applicable) for 2011. The results from your January 2010 CA will not carry forward to the 2011 academic year.

I intend to sit Continuous Assessment in January 2010 or July 2010 and present for exams in the autumn sitting? What if I fail?

If you fail your autumn examination, you can present for your examinations in 2011. You will be required to present for continuous assessment (as applicable) for 2011. The results from your 2010 CA will not carry forward to the 2011 academic year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Quirkes

Hi, thank god for this post :D i'm freaking out a bit here, feeling very overwhelmed with this year's part 3 exams, don't know anyone sitting them or who has sat them in the past so any advice or information would be greatly appreciated ;)

First issue is what is this oecd thing the lecturers go on about?
    (this is prob mad obvious but cant see it believe it or not i got my exams last year but feeling rather clueless :eek: )

The OECD is a model treaty that is not binding but is used as a reference points by OECD members of which Ireland is a member. It is provided in the exam so don't worry about it too much. They asked a question in corporation tax before that related to articles in the OECD treaty and it was a matter of opening it and pretty much copying it out. Got me an A, was delighted when half the exam hall didn't even realise they had it bloody thing.

It's a persuasive authority where there is a gap in domestic legislation like transfer pricing in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Hi,

Just looking for some advice please. I have the Graduateship from the Marketing Institute of Ireland. Qualified in 2001 and I am wondering if I would be exempt from all,none or part of AITI Year 1? I also have other exams and I would be classified as "Group 6 Exemptions" so I would be exempt from 1 subject in Year 1 anyway.

In relation to the Tax Technician course the Insitute runs if you successfully complete the year does it mean you go straight into Year 2 of the AITI?

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Quirkes

The OECD is a model treaty that is not binding but is used as a reference points by OECD members of which Ireland is a member. It is provided in the exam so don't worry about it too much. They asked a question in corporation tax before that related to articles in the OECD treaty and it was a matter of opening it and pretty much copying it out. Got me an A, was delighted when half the exam hall didn't even realise they had it bloody thing.

It's a persuasive authority where there is a gap in domestic legislation like transfer pricing in Ireland.

Sweet, thanks, i used to think i was great at tax, till this year :eek:
    Trying to eat the books at the moment cos have ca at weekend, but is like panic has struck in!! aagh
    You should give grinds - you'd make a fortune :D you really seem to know your stuff :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

Hi,

In relation to the Tax Technician course the Insitute runs if you successfully complete the year does it mean you go straight into Year 2 of the AITI?

Thanks for your help

You get no exemption for the AITI if you pass the technician course.
    Plus even if you pass the Tech course you cant do the AITI unless you have a degree. You should be ok as you have a degree. Im screwed Im doing the TMITI, tis grand I like it, but i cant go on to do the AITI as I have no degree :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

betonit wrote: »
    You get no exemption for the AITI if you pass the technician course.
    Plus even if you pass the Tech course you cant do the AITI unless you have a degree. You should be ok as you have a degree. Im screwed Im doing the TMITI, tis grand I like it, but i cant go on to do the AITI as I have no degree :mad:

Didn't think you needed a degree to do the AITI ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

Hi Howjoel. I didn't have a degree when I started either but was coming from IATI which is one of their exemption groups. Anyhow, they can take your circumstances into account on a case by case basis. See below from their website.

Entry requirements

Applicants for the AITI qualification must hold, at minimum, an undergraduate degree at honours level (Level 8 of the National Qualifications Framework) or equivalent.
    • A copy of an official certified transcript of your qualification is required to process an application
    • Candidates who do not hold an honours degree or equivalent may be considered on a case-by case basis, through the recognition of work based learning. Applications should be submitted to Grace McRandal, Senior Manager by email gmcrandal@taxireland.ie with supporting documentation as appropriate.
    The ITI may grant exemptions from certain papers where students have successfully completed examinations of an equivalent standard. For details on available exemptions, please click here.

The link is
    http://www.taxireland.com/education/35601.aspx

Bye for now.;)

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Thanks to the response to my last post and it makes things much clearer. I am thinking of going for the AITI Tax Qualification. Would anyone be able to give a sample of what the questions are generally like in the exams? Anyone I have been talking to says the exams are very difficult. I have a degree and I'm up for the challenge but I would like to know a small bit about the exams questions before registeration to make sure I am actually able for the course.:) Thanks for your help

Buttercup there are 12 exams, unless you have exemptions so it is impossible to just give you a random sample-

the breakdown of the subjects per exam is up on the ITI website so try there.

As for the questions, part 1 is basic. Part 2 is broad and Part 3 is application of all of the subjects in practical scenarios. There are 6 questions and you have to do 5. Time management is the biggest challenge as the questions can be quite long and you only have 3.5 hours to do 5.

Cool. Thanks for your reply you have outlined the parts in simple terms and they don't sound scary at all (despite what people have been saying) Looking forward to the challenge of starting the course!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

Hi Buttercup, I know it's a while since you posted this but thought I would give you my feedback. I'm currently starting part 2 of the AITI, I'm a CPA so have some tax knowledge.
    To me the main difficulty in the exams is application, you may know the rules for BES, retirement relief etc, but pulling it all together in one question can be difficult.
    I did a B.A. first and found a significant jump from that to professional exams, but it's a similar format.
    If you are looking to move areas, I think tax would be a good area to get into it. The laws are becoming increasingly more complicated and in these times people are prepared to pay good money to get sound tax advice to ensure they are making the most of all tax breaks as it can be quite tricky, penalties are also getting harsher for non-compliance.
    It's not necessary to have an accountancy background to start the tax exams but obviously it's a huge advantage, but if you are prepared to put in the extra work, you would have no problem. The exams are specific, you will never get by on winging it and that's the harsh reality. Your personal life wil suffer while studying as they are time consuming, in saying that, the year is short, starts early Oct exams mid April for year two, so not even a full year.
    If you are looking at a move of careers, it's one that will always be in demand. On a side note, I believe there will be an increasing demand for Company Secretaries so if you want to move but don't want to commit to a heavy study load maybe this may suit you.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

just wanted to say best of luck to everyone doing Part 1 or 2 next week, im doing part 2, dreading Vat but hoping the rest will be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wweleven

Hey there,
    Is anyone studying to sit Part 3 Tax Exams this May 2010 & freaking out about it like I am?? I feel I am never going to get it done and at this stage why bother. I'm not getting much time off work only a few days here and there between now and May. Is it enough time i wonder? I have alot to do!?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

do you need many years work experience before you become qualified

Hey there,
    Is anyone studying to sit Part 3 Tax Exams this May 2010 & freaking out about it like I am?? I feel I am never going to get it done and at this stage why bother. I'm not getting much time off work only a few days here and there between now and May. Is it enough time i wonder? I have alot to do!?

Take it easy Cadbury Rabbit- loads of time.

They are not a test of memory (in theory), but rather a test of application of the legislation and application.

Be disciplined on time, be familiar with the legislation and where everything is and get stuck into past papers now and you'll make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wweleven

Thanks for that reply - I feel much better now. I know people who have failed them loads of times and it is just driving me crazy now!! Start this day 3 weeks so hopefully will get it all done and pass. It is great to get words of encouragement like yours instead of hearing negative feed back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 REDSOCKS22

Hi

i'm just after doing the part 2 exams last week i have a good feeling i passed them and was thinking about doing part 3 in August. I was wondering has anyone every done this before or know any one that did and how did they get on??

any feed back on this would be grately appreciated cos i need to decide sooner rather than later think lectures start in about 2 weeks!

Tanx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nirmala

What should i study for AITI Qualification examination. How to register the for the examination?

Regards,
    Nirmala

what should you study?

Everything?

If you want to register contact the institute. Link is in the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 padraigrua44

Hi there. I am repeating Part 3 of the tax exams in August and using the 2007/08 Tax legislation which is quite outdated. Does anyone have the 2009/10 Direct Taxes, Law of VAT etc legislation for sale....or want to get rid of!!

REDSOCKS22 wrote: »
    Hi

i'm just after doing the part 2 exams last week i have a good feeling i passed them and was thinking about doing part 3 in August. I was wondering has anyone every done this before or know any one that did and how did they get on??

any feed back on this would be grately appreciated cos i need to decide sooner rather than later think lectures start in about 2 weeks!

Tanx

Hey there - just wondering if you went ahead and started studying for part 3? I was thinking of it, but then thought again - was a bit dodgey on that VAT paper so didn't want to start studying and then have to drop back to part 2 again half-way through. I've heard of quite a few people that do it, I did that for my Prof 2's CPA and thought it was a great idea, the stuff from the previous exam was still fresh in my head, so you would have a big advantage there - anyway, be interested to see what you decided!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 REDSOCKS22

Hey, yeah i went ahead with part 3..lectures started a few week ago I may be taking a risk but its no good deciding in four weeks time..the course would be half over at that stage! Studying starting this weekend ahhh icon9.gif!! i've talked to quite a few people and everyone thinks its a great idea..here's hoping I get part 2 or ill be an awful dumb ass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭scheister

just a qucik question. i have got a 2:2 degree but only got 47 in Tax. Like the ACA do i need 50 to be exempt from part 1 papers 2&4 or do i now have to sit all 4 papers

CAn you claim tax back on AITI fees? I don't see it listed on revenue website...but surely...!!!

Good luck with results - not long to wait now...eeekkk

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Just want to say best of luck to everyone tomorrow, hopefully we'll be out celebrating tomorrow night! Does anyone know what time the results are published?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sky8

Best of luck everyone... I think they released the results around 8.30am in previous years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Blooming

Hi,
    Have one paper to do in CPA in August and thinking of doing AITI. Will be exempt from part 1, as long as I pass in August. Just wondering how people got on with their exam results recently so I can prpare myself for the year ahead. I always say I'll study from the start of the yera, never happens tho.

Advertisement