Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iceland Volcano

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mccarn22

As it stands today this is what the coverage is http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/dhtml_slides/10/iceland_volcano/img/4iceland_volcano466.jpg

Im very interested in this for some reason.. I should oh became a geologist :( there is a very supicious "fog" looming around the Dublin region as of now.... perhaps a coincidence or is this actually ash cloud fallout??

Geologists are saying that this eruption may be the beginning of worse to come... perhaps 2012 is upon us? Over 100,000 flights cancelled across Ireland, England and Northern Europe... there are also delays and more cancelations expected tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

another thread on it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

mccarn22 wrote: »
    Geologists are saying that this eruption may be the beginning of worse to come... perhaps 2012 is upon us? Over 100,000 flights cancelled across Ireland, England and Northern Europe... there are also delays and more cancelations expected tomorrow...

No. It's one volcano. It may cause chaos but it won't be the end of the world. Wait for Katla before screaming about the end times being upon us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

mccarn22 wrote: »
    ...Geologists are saying that this eruption may be the beginning of worse to come... perhaps 2012 is upon us? QUOTE]

Nah, 2012 isnt for another 2 years!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kpatrick

I took some pictures of the ash plume from western ireland tonight. Very impressive at sunset...very few people must have noticed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

kpatrick wrote: »
    I took some pictures of the ash plume from western ireland tonight. Very impressive at sunset...very few people must have noticed it
    I hope you're having a laugh. That's clearly a dispersing jet contrail (trans-Atlantic flights from Ireland have been able to operate). By the time it has travelled several hundred miles from its source, the ash cloud is highly dispersed and diffuse with little or no structure discernible from a single ground position. And the cloud is not present off the Irish west coast at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kpatrick

xper wrote: »
    I hope you're having a laugh. That's clearly a dispersing jet contrail (trans-Atlantic flights from Ireland have been able to operate). By the time it has travelled several hundred miles from its source, the ash cloud is highly dispersed and diffuse with little or no structure discernible from a single ground position. And the cloud is not present off the Irish west coast at this time.

em i know what contrails look like but i've never seen this before. It lasted about 3 hours without changing shape when the sun got lower in the sky and had many locals puzzled. I'm not saying this was off the Irish west coast! This is a highly zoomed and cropped photo and whatever it is could be hundreds of miles away. If not ash i have no idea what it was but something funky was in the athmosphere this evening

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

and now we look to the more fatal Katla volcano, which in all three incidents of Eyjafjallajökull erupting, Katla has erupted in a more disastrous fashion. Seismometers around Katla are reacting more violently in the last few hours

eyja_trem_auto.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Wow, interesting times. It's mad how the whole Northern Hemisphere just grounds to a halt over a volcano. Could you imagine a massive one going off?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Kinda curious what other people think this is, I've seen a few photos now from people driving the Dublin to Galway/Mayo route. As stated above the plume presumably disperses reasonably quickly and Iceland is hardly in that direction at that time on the Dublin-Galway road. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

kpatrick wrote: »
    em i know what contrails look like but i've never seen this before. It lasted about 3 hours without changing shape when the sun got lower in the sky and had many locals puzzled. I'm not saying this was off the Irish west coast! This is a highly zoomed and cropped photo and whatever it is could be hundreds of miles away. If not ash i have no idea what it was but something funky was in the athmosphere this evening

Well i can tell you that it most deffinently wasnt the ash could you seen, you say it lasted for 3 hours without changing? sure if it wasnt for this wind it wouldn't be airbourne at all if it came to a stop it would simple float to the ground, so the lack of movement rules out the ash cloud

Wouldn't the wind equally rule out a contrail surviving for 3 hours? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Sorry to disappoint but that photo is NOT the ash plume. i don't think it was a contrail either.

How far away is Iceland? Why does your photo resemble a smoke plume or explosion plume if the volcano is so far away? Did you realise that the 'ash cloud' is 4KM above sea level so mostly invisible to the human eye.

The main reason for the huge impact of the ash cloud was the lack of strong weather systems coming from the Atlantic,thus the reason your cloud shape stayed coherent for 3 hours.

The hue and cry over Katla I personally believe to be overblown. Yes, Katla has erupted each time that Eyjafjallajökullhas erupted..........................however Eyjafjallajökull has erupted 3 times in 1000 years. Katla on its own has erupted 16 times since 930AD, roughly every 40-80 years.

The link below shows a map of the volcano. Katla is approx 25KM away while the eruption of last month (Fimmvörðuháls) are approx 12KM away. I am NOT understating the possible impact of a Katla eruption event,merely hinting that she doesn't NEED Eyjafjallajökull to kickstart her.

Heres a good description of the eruption with a graphic of the Eyjafjallajökull/Katla volcano system: http://www2.norvol.hi.is/page/ies_Eyjafjallajokull_eruption

From wikipedia: "The Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which has a crater 3–4 kilometres (1.9–2.5 mi) in diameter, erupted in 920, 1612 and again from 1821 to 1823. It has erupted twice in 2010—on 20 March and 14 April. The March event forced a brief evacuation of around 500 local people, but the April eruption was ten to twenty times more powerful and is causing substantial disruption to air traffic across Northern Europe."

It's not a fake photo though, I know somebody who was on the road and took photos on his phone. You can see all the other calls pulling in to take shots and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There was a quake there in Katla area yesterday but I don't know how significant that is:

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Heres a pic of the volcanic ash plume taken inflight earlier this morning:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4588573651/

And either side of it some other shots of the Icelandic landscape.....a geologists wet dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sheeplover

I hate that volcano, I've risked two times having problems with my flights. And I'm not in Ireland in these months, and I know that the problems in Ireland with the volcano were and are bigger...
    Now I'm in Austria and it's always cloudy when it doesn't rain. Do you thing that we can link this phenomena with the Iceland volcano?

Advertisement