Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help please; Broken buckle on Sea Quest BCD.

• 18-04-2010 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

The swivel buckle on my Sea Quest BCD's shoulder strap broke at the end of last season when a tank fell on it. Careless, I know, but anyway, that's life I think! As an interim measure, I've been using cable ties to keep it from opening during dives, but obviously that's a far from ideal situation, because if there's an emergency it would hamper a rescuer's efforts.

So, something has to be done. I've tried two types of glue; epoxy resin & hard plastic adhesive. Neither of them worked, at least in part because the break has been pulled apart slightly, so there's a gap of about 2-3mm between the 2 broken edges. Because it's made from such a hard, strong plastic, I've found it very difficult to hold the edges together without moving for 10-20 minutes to allow the glue to bond.

I wondered if it might be possible to replace the buckle altogether, but the webbing is stitched in underneath a cover, so it's impossible to get at, unless I could get an expert to get their hands on it!

I've attached a couple of photos.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that the very inventive Boardsies can offer. Thanks.

111163.jpg

111164.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Ah, lads,
    I'm very disappointed that no-one seems to have any ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Have you contacted Aqualung at all.

If they sent you out replacement buckles you surely would be able to have some restitch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Cipher wrote: »
    Have you contacted Aqualung at all.

If they sent you out replacement buckles you surely would be able to have some restitch it.

Not yet, no. Because of the way the webbing of the buckle is hidden away, I reckon there'd be a huge amount of unpicking and restitching to do, and it wouldn't be a simple job. Also, I wouldn't know who to approach about it; would a seamstress/dressmaker, for example, have the skills or equipment to stitch the heavy cordura canvas?
    Thanks for your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭diverdad

Try placing somthing across the gap and joining the two surfaces together i.e. a piece of hard plastic/metal bonded across the gap.
    It wouldn't be pretty by it would be functional and thats what counts in the end.

As regards the stitching, a good bootmakers have sewing machines for stiching leather together. They can sort out stuff like belt buckles, boot uppers, handbags, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Should probably send it back to them for repair. Will probably work out a lot cheaper than getting a new bcd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement