Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shameless US (* US Pace *)

Options
  • 08-04-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭

Showtime has ordered 12 episodes of the William H. Macy-led drama Shameless, Variety reports.
    Based on a long-running British drama, it stars the 60-year-old actor as the alcoholic patriarch of a big blue-collar family in Chicago.
    Created by Paul Abbott (State of Play), Shameless is executive-produced by Abbott and John Wells. The series is expected to begin production in late summer; a premiere date has not been announced, the trade paper reports.

I cant see how the show will work over there tbh :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Good god that sounds like it will be rubbish, it will never be a patch on the original. No doubt it will be based it some hick trailer park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

this mite be good, i hate the original...british people arent funny lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

It sounds like an awful idea but then again so did the US version of The Office - which I believe turned out kind of OK? I dunno, have never watched it.

Anyway, Shameless is crap these days. Used to be great (up to series 3 maybe) but it's just become this parody of itself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I will give it a go. At least Showtime can be more risky than the networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Big blue collar family in Chicago?

Probably Irish again.

Go on the scumbags!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Alison Janney (CJ from 'The West Wing') will also be a recurring guest star. Promo shot:

Shameless-Showtime-590x393.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Showtime are up there with HBO and AMC for producing top notch drama in the States and Macy is a very good actor so I'd have decent hopes for this. "Rescue Me" on FX has covered some of this ground already though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Macey rarely disappoints but remakes rarely succeed... might watch the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I assume Alison Janney is playing Sheila

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Caveat wrote: »
    It sounds like an awful idea but then again so did the US version of The Office - which I believe turned out kind of OK? I dunno, have never watched it.

IMHO, significantly better than the original and with a watchability that it's predecessor lacked for me. It's built on the original idea, but at the same time it's developed it's own identity and gone in it's own direction. That's a tricky balance to strike, but I think they've shown it's very possible, and with a bit of luck this will do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

They all look very young in that promotional photo - much younger than the uk bunch...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They all look very young in that promotional photo - much younger than the uk bunch...

go back and watch season 1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

IMHO, significantly better than the original and with a watchability that it's predecessor lacked for me. It's built on the original idea, but at the same time it's developed it's own identity and gone in it's own direction. That's a tricky balance to strike, but I think they've shown it's very possible, and with a bit of luck this will do the same.

ditto on this! The past couple of seasons although great lacked something season 2 had, it's starting to pick up again though. It's my favorite tv show :)

On the subject of a US version of shameless, I doubt it will work. I mean it will probably just end up similar to that trailer park boys show. The USA re-made kath and kim too which was just awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

basquille wrote: »
    Shameless-Showtime-590x393.jpg

that's emmy rossum on the far right. If she's in it I'm watching. Her from Poseidon, Phantom Of the Opera . etc etc.

emmy_rossum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

It will work if they mix the Trailer Park Boys with Family Guy.

Ricky from TPB Lol. That was a funny fcuking program!:D

Liam O wrote: »
    go back and watch season 1 ;)

I guess the Carl character is the one that makes all the rest look young, as he's older than Debbie in the uk series, but judging by that photo, he's a good bit younger than her...
    The Fiona character also looks really young...

The Fiona character also looks really young...
    Yep, Emmy Rossum is 24, whereas Anne-Marie Duff was 34 when Shameless started.

PS - I should really catch up with the UK version (am 3 or 4 episodes into Season 1! :D)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

PS - I should really catch up with the UK version (am 3 or 4 episodes into Season 1! :D)!

I can't believe Ann Marie Duff is 40 this year. Almost as shocking as Orla Brady being 48 :eek:

Is John Wells the guy who ran ER? I too find it hard to see how Americans will react to this type of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Stop after Season 5, even then you'll probably wish you stopped after 4.

Is John Wells the guy who ran ER?
    Yep.. same guy!
    I too find it hard to see how Americans will react to this type of humour.
    What we need to remember is this will air on Showtime.. it's not appealing to the masses!

Two Showtime series that are currently airing and have been renewed are 'Nurse Jackie' and 'United States of Tara' - both are getting 500K - 700K viewers a week.

I think if Shameless finds it's niche.. it could do very well!
    amacachi wrote: »
    Stop after Season 5, even then you'll probably wish you stopped after 4.
    Funny enough, I've had people tell me to stop after
    Fiona and Steve leave
    .. that's what..
    end of season 2
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fiona and Steve leave
    .. that's what..
    end of season 2
    ?

I enjoyed the following season a lot and the next less so. You may be less discerning than me though and enjoy it for longer. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Is it just the main family members that's the same or will there be neighbours based on Kev & Veronica or the Maguires.
    Fiona and Steve leave
    .. that's what..
    end of season 2
    ?

Season Three was fine. I didn't notice any big drop in quality. The turning point was the start of Season Four. It's had it's moments since then but it's been a bit of a mess a lot of the time.

I wonder who is playing Kev and Veronica

It's still worth watching after season 4 - while I agree the quality dropped back in the day its still good fun and even season 7 (the current season) is way better than the majority of the crap on tv these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sounds like a bad remake of Rosanne to me tbh. Never really liked Shameless to begin with anyway now that I think about it.
    emmy rossum is pretty good looking tho. hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Don't know how they will transform this format into an American show.
    The characters are distinctly British in Shameless,
    I don't really know how you could make Frank Gallagher American...

I really dislike this whole thing America has regarding remakes.
    Remakes of Films, TV Shows etc.

Basically anything that has any success all over the world is taken by America and made into a poorer version.
    Really irritating.

Would "a pint and two vowels" be funny for an American audience :rolleyes:

Rachel Griffiths would make a good Veronica

I think the fact that the drug culture is different in America will be a bit of a problem for the characters.

The way Frank is mad for the E's and him going into the pub and asking for a few E's with his pint.
    How do you make that work in America?

Even the culture of spliff culture is different.
    In American culture it is all about stupid teenage stoners,
    while that certainly isn't the case here and never was on Shameless with Lip, Ian etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I think the fact that the drug culture is different in America will be a bit of a problem for the characters.

The way Frank is mad for the E's and him going into the pub and asking for a few E's with his pint.
    How do you make that work in America?

Even the culture of spliff culture is different.
    In American culture it is all about stupid teenage stoners,
    while that certainly isn't the case here and never was on Shameless with Lip, Ian etc.
    They go to the bar and ask for some meth with their coors light?! lol

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »
    They go to the bar and ask for some meth with their coors light?! lol

What can I get ya Frank?

Yeah I'll have a beer (can't say pint) and some crack.
    Oh and give me some of that PCP as well....

It will be like the Hindenburg all over again.

Advertisement