Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Griffith halls?

• 22-01-2010 11:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

What is the griffith college accomadation like?!? Is it a good place to live? Is it fun?! thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I haven't lived there myself but they're quite. The rooms are small and so is the shared living space.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

They aren't too bad. Shared room is a bit rubbish, but they have reduced their prices recently so its not a bad deal. I'd say try it for a semester. There is a lot of horror stories about the place but I don't think they are too bad in all honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

If you get on with your roommates then you can make do but the apartments themselves are a bit of a lottery, the college really don't maintain the place between occupations so if the person in the apartment the year before you has wrecked the furniture then that's what you get stuck with...with that in mind take plenty of photos once you get into an apartment so you have a record of any damage that wasn't caused by you or else you'll be blamed for everything and have to pay for it. The security also seem to believe they are the reincarnation of the SS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cihealy

Griffith halls of reisdence is very handy, not only for the students from the college but also for other colleges in town because its so close to town. its also handy cuz you dont have far to travel if you are out in town! ya can walk, unless your heels are killer than then you can hop in a taxi and its generally pretty cheap!!! :)
    as for security it is good to have the cameras and the guys there because it does make you feel alot safer at night, as for bein like the SS, dont think so! theyre dead on and will usually help you with anything! (getting locked out at 4 am when youre just back from a night out! weve all been there!)
    if you know someone else who is coming to dublin and you want to share with them the lads in the office will let you not problem as long as you specify it in your application form, as for sharing with other people theyre really good at matching people together, im still best friends with one of the girls i lived with 5 years ago there!!! :) and i literally met her on my first day of first year!
    They have rules about bringing people back and stuff but generally they are just there for safety for everyone, if youre not causing any trouble and noones getting upset or hurt they generally look the other way! :)
    as for damamge to the apartments, i will agree that you should definitly have proof of the condition in the apartment when you move in so you can prove you didnt do something, but they are doing theuir best to rotate apartments to get them fixed up! and the maintenance lads are usually really good to come in and fix stuff as soon as you let them know!
    so yea, id definitly give the GHR the thumbs up, they are handy, practical and good craic when your with good friends!! (both old and new!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

1st post...

seems too good to be true...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Murchal

Hey,

I really don't advise living in GHR. Firstly, the atmosphere s pretty dead most of the time, because some many of the residents don't speak English too well, it can be hard to get to know people. As well as that, no visitors are allowed in your apartment after 10.30 under any circumstances, which really doesn't suit most people. If you have a problem with other flatmates or with the conditions of the apartment, the accom. office won't want to hear about it. (I completely agree with the other posters that upkeep of the apartments between occupancies is virtually non-existent.) I stayed there this year and paid almost €10,000 for a single room for the year. True the prices have been dropped considerably since, but it's still way too expensive for what you get. If you do decide to stay there, make sure you read the contract in detail, cos the office will try and fine you €100 for anything they can (EG. not emptying your bin straight away. However in saying all that, if you not that worried about the lack of space and conditions of the rooms and more concerned with location, GHR may work for you, as it's quite near the city centre.

Hope you find somewhere you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ilikemypint

the halls is a good place to live. like most things what u put into a place u get out. if you close urself off and dont make friends then yeah the experience isnt as good. su have gud events. office have the rules but sure they are needed as some people do need to study. whenever i needed a lightbulb changed they replaced it straight away. anything like that just tell the office and its done usually sameday. i have bent the rules a little but never got a fine. i guess as long as your not annoying anyone your grand. there are negatives of course to renting anywhere but overall griffith is a good spot near the city and the student nights :cool:.

p.s. first post too! a long time lurker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ilikemypint

Oh one negative is the restaurant closes early on friday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kmpfan

I am living in a single room sharing the main area with 2 other guys who are also living in a single room.

3 rooms and all single here... So far so good except today we had to go out early because of fire. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Lunalove

Cool and can u get away with parties?

• Advertisement

Hah! of course... my friends and I are pretty wild and so far no one has complained or anything...\
    when are you planning to come in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Lunalove

I had a look at the apartments today and thought they looked quite nice! Is the rule about "no visitors after 10" strict? And wen u say u have parties do u mean parties with lots of people or with just ur roomies? I like the place but I'd be slightly turned off by the no parties rule! lol

Lunalove wrote: »
    I had a look at the apartments today and thought they looked quite nice! Is the rule about "no visitors after 10" strict? And wen u say u have parties do u mean parties with lots of people or with just ur roomies? I like the place but I'd be slightly turned off by the no parties rule! lol
    The "no visitors after 10" strict isn't strict at all... When we go out we usually come back after 1 or sometimes 2 and when we come back there is no guard on the door and if there is, he still doesn't check for ID and we don't need ID to enter at night, the gates always open.

we once had a party with about 15-20 people (mostly people from the halls, since we have a lot of friends living here as well) and nothing happened.. our neighbors always have music on at full volume and nothing has happened to them as well.

so really im not trying to lure you in here hehe but in seriousness this place is pretty sweet and cool.

Are you Irish btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭morgans303

It's good - if you like living with pretentious assholes living on their parents credit card.

Or maybe you'll be lucky, and get to live with a Nigerian gang for six months.

I'm not making any of this up. And if there's a hair out of place, you won't get a single penny of the deposit back. Does that answer your question?

Advertisement