Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come talk to us! C&H IRC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I've closed the IRC for now. I'll open it for a chat every once in a while. Time to start using the forum again guys :)

/me is confused

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Ehhhhh :/

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The IRCis set to +m or moderated. That means only @ and + people can talk. And seeing as how no one has + it's essentiallly closed. I'll open in on busy nights, but it was taking too much traffic away from this place. Thing of it like a bar that only opens when the owner has enough effort to put out the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

A Neurotic wrote: »
    /me is confused
    Oh I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

He has closed it for now as everybody left C&H and he wants folks to get their bums back into Boards :D

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure /me works in Skype chat if you want to download that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    The IRCis set to +m or moderated. That means only @ and + people can talk. And seeing as how no one has + it's essentiallly closed. I'll open in on busy nights, but it was taking too much traffic away from this place. Thing of it like a bar that only opens when the owner has enough effort to put out the seats.
    Eh? Might I just say, that's kinda a bollox. You set it up so we could all talk away from MSN (which is what we were doing anyway before), and it succeeded in that and all C&Hers could chat freely. And it was busy, which you seem to say like it's a bad thing. It's an enhancement of the forum, not a detriment. So what if C&H got less posts because of it? Does that matter, we were communicating anyway.

This is a rather stupid and annoying decision imo.

Should definitely re-open IRC now. I need to be entertained and I don't think I can stay awake all night! D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Davidius wrote: »
    Should definitely re-open IRC now. I need to be entertained and I don't think I can stay awake all night! D:

Why would you want to stay awake all night? Vampire?

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Why would you want to stay awake all night? Vampire?
    To make the time between now and college tomorrow morning seem as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

RE-OPEN IRC there is no reason for it to be closed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If it's going to be re-opened at all, it should be done under a new name.

As things stand, it's offering nothing to the C&H forum. If anything, it has been to the detriment of the forum from a traffic point of view. Also, much of what is said and discussed on the IRC channel would not be permissable under the C&H charter, so I'd rather the two were not associated by name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Probably should have one during the summer when everyone is (even more) bored.

IRC was a terrible distraction from doing study so I kinda support its current closure. It's a noble decision to shut it down since it looks after my best interests. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

To make the time between now and college tomorrow morning seem as long as possible.

Oh, distraction is required, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Hmm, trying to think of the best option. i miss the chat as I'm in the mood for a casual chat and can't think of anything to post on the forums. Maybe after a certain hour the chat opens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

+1 on that. There wouldn't be a lot of us online past, say, midnight, what with people in school and college. And then, we're (I'm using this word in as nice a way as possible) restricted to certain threads. From my experience so far, it's really just people trying to get to know their fellow boardsies, cause it can get very messy in the Den.

Okay, how about I open it between midnight and 5am? Call it Clearasil and Watersheds. Or the ONION club.

But to back up my reason, I've been offline for less than 24 hours and the amount of threads with new posts has stretched to the second page and then den has about 10 pages of new posts. Point proven about detrimental traffic. I'll open it at midnight from now on, see how that works :)

Definetly sounds like a fair solution, thanks Onion. :)

Except now my insomnia will be even more fuelled. <_< >_>

Opening at 11 tonight, seems pretty quiet around here today :)

Can we open at 11 tonight because it is dead around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Open for business everyone. :p

IRC's gone for me. OH NO HOW WILL I STAY UP NOW?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That might not work though, IIRC they blocked mibbit when they got their own one, you may have to either leave it or get a real IRC program.

I hear mIRC is usable by some people, despite personally hating it.

Just follow the steps in the first post goys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

I tried to do it all, but it still won't work :( #C&H is my own personal forum right now, not what I had hoped for :pac: *is confused*

Can we open the IRC at 11 on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights until the summer because most people want to get to bed at a reasonable hour midweek

No! 12 tonight.

Ah sure g'wan with the 11:30. Need me fix buzz.

• Advertisement

Ah sure g'wan with the 11:30. Need me fix buzz.

Dark seems very serious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement