Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford to Danesfort Motorway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

The rest will be finished later this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 EmM27

Oh great :) thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

kensutz wrote: »
    Don't turn off at Paulstown. Drive straight on to the outer ring road of Kilkenny and head down to Waterford that way.

That seems longer though?
    maybe not, will try it Thursday when I am back in Dublin

It might seem longer but at least you do 120km/h on the motorway instead of meeting lorries and slow ass drivers going through the towns. I know what I'd much rather.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

time wise, will it save much..

I went to/from dublin from Waterford city to dublin airport in around 2hours maybe 2:10....
    certainly the knocktopher to Carlow region will save time, but if i have to go through kk almost now by not turning off at Paulstown, Im wondering what time I will save..

• Advertisement

You don't go through KK at all. You approach it up as far as their outer ring road and then all the way to Paulstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

testicle wrote: »
    Tourists???? In Thomastown???? Have you gone insane?

Mount Juliet

Jebus...why does every waterford/kilkenny crossover thread go down the city/town road :rolleyes: if we're all being honest on a interantional scale we have only one city in ireland :eek: being from beyond the pale the rest of us are only a shower of stick yielding culchies :pac:

So anyone drive the road yet?

How long from the suir bridge to Kilkenny CASTLE? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I took a spin on it yesterday afternoon not long after it opened. Went down as far as Mullinavat and back. It is superb and could not be more far removed from the old N9/10 as one could get. Didn't count but reckoned it was about half the time that journey would usually take.
    And it was quite busy also, hell of a lot of trucks on it I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Right folks, thread cleaned up, lets keep it on topic and drop all this is it or is it not a city ****e.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote: »
    And it was quite busy also, hell of a lot of trucks on it I thought.

Perhaps it just looked like a alot of trucks cause on the old road you only saw a few cars/trucks ahead of you....now you can see far far ahead :)

Either way its a welcome addition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Usually takes me about 30 minutes from work in waterford IDA to home in mullinavat, took the new road home last night and it took 16 mins door to door and 15 mins this morning going into work.

Used the new bridge of course with those 5 free passes cards from the southlink website.

From new grannagh roundabout to mullinavat roundabout, Id say its about 6/7 mins going 120.

Definately worth it if running late..............

B~

Where does the new road bring you when you get to Waterford? Do you have to go through the toll on the new bridge? I can't picture it at all, dying to drive down now just to see it ha. How sad am I!?

EmM27 wrote: »
    Where does the new road bring you when you get to Waterford? Do you have to go through the toll on the new bridge? I can't picture it at all, dying to drive down now just to see it ha. How sad am I!?

No you can still go for either bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It comes out on the roundabout nearest The Thatch pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Just after noticing that the Waterford bypass in now on google maps!...

attachment.php?attachmentid=108530&d=1269379774

But for some reason google have once again labelled Waterford as being in Co Kilkenny!!!:eek::eek::confused:
    I'd say there's some joker from south KK working in google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been like that ever since google maps started, says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Driving home from Dublin this weekend, what parts are open or whats the best route to take?

Suppose depends what part of Dublin you're coming from, if it's the north side head down Naas dual carriage way onto the castledermot/Carlow bypass & apparently the Gowran/Thomastown/Mullinavat bypass is quicker than going through those towns. So take that new road. Haven't been on that new bypass yet but i'd imagine it would be quicker.
    And if you're coming from the southside i'd imagine going down the Wexford route would be the best way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Suppose depends what part of Dublin you're coming from, if it's the north side head down Naas dual carriage way onto the castledermot/Carlow bypass & apparently the Gowran/Thomastown/Mullinavat bypass is quicker than going through those towns. So take that new road. Haven't been on that new bypass yet but i'd imagine it would be quicker.
    And if you're coming from the southside i'd imagine going down the Wexford route would be the best way?

Great, thanks! I'm coming from Maynooth so Naas is best

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Does anyone know when the remaining section of the M9 is to open - Danesfort to Powerstown.

Initially planned for Q3 2010 but suggestions doing the rounds that it might be earlier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

No idea but the sooner the better..

Drove to Waterford from Dublin to Waterford 2 weekends ago and from Newlands Cross to the bridge was 1hr 45mins.. gotta love it.. :D

Would have been faster only some slow ass driver was hogging the road from just past Paulstown to KK with 2 wheels out over the white line and had a nice long line of traffic behind him :rolleyes:

Going back up early Sunday evening with a bit more traffic on the road and made it very comfortably in under 2 hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Dummy wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the remaining section of the M9 is to open - Danesfort to Powerstown.

Initially planned for Q3 2010 but suggestions doing the rounds that it might be earlier.

I read somewhere they aim to have it available for the All-Ireland hurling final at the start of September. Either they're very confident Kilkenny fans or very optimistic Waterford fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Daysha wrote: »
    I read somewhere they aim to have it available for the All-Ireland hurling final at the start of September. Either they're very confident Kilkenny fans or very optimistic Waterford fans!

Very confident Waterford fans !!!!

I heard an early Summer date but it was word of mouth. I'd love to hear an official word rather than word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

I've driven to Dublin a lot and have now decided that until the rest of the road opens I will stick with the old N9. Yesterday I took the old road and never passed one car from Dunkitt to Paulstown - mind you it was 6:30am. But it was still faster than going around KK's numerous rounabouts.

This afternoon on the way home I decided to turn off after Thomastown and join the M9 at Knocktopher. That proved slightly faster than staying on the old road.

So now I am wondering if the fastest route is to take the M9 to Knocktopher and the the N9 through Thomastown and onwards??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

N9 is at 80km/hr now (at least in parts) with the M9 being 100km/hr and a safer stretch of road. So, legally and safety in mind, M9 is better I would assume?

M9 is 120km/hr isn't it? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kensutz wrote: »
    M9 is 120km/hr isn't it? :confused:

Sorry, yeah. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

you would think they would signpost the bloody thing coming from dub for no one who knows about it.
    anyway old road is just as fast!

Advertisement