Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horny Crocodile Ate Humans

Options
  • 17-03-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

A new species of crocodile named Crocodylus anthropophagus (that last bit means 'eater of humans', how cool is that?) that lived nearly 2 million years ago may well have been our primitive ancestors' number one predator. Measuring almost 6 meters (20 feet long), this beast would have made short work of the likes of Homo habilis and Australopithecus boisei, close relatives of the ancestors of modern humans.
    It would have looked similar to modern siamese (pictured) and Cuban crocodiles due to it's horn like protrusions above the eyes.

siamcroc01.jpg

Full article here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The thread title painted a totally different picture for me. :D

I had an image of an amorous Gustave arriving with roses, before munching on a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kess73 wrote: »
    The thread title painted a totally different picture for me. :D

I had an image of an amorous Gustave arriving with roses, before munching on a person.

36483-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Sweet-Crocodile-Couple-In-Love-With-Red-Hearts-Above-Them.jpg

For those interested in learning more on the fantastic (and diverse) crocs that have lived throughout time, we ran a few stories here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Is anyone else picturing a Homo habilis version of Steve Irwin?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The mention of Cuban crocs have put an even scary idea in my head for Crocodylus anthropophagus.

Given that Cuban Crocs are strongly believed to be able to pack hunt with a coordination level similar to that of wolves, imagine 6 metre crocs with similar tendencies. :eek:

Probably nothing of this kind happened with such a large predator, but one can still imagine it. :)

Advertisement