Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Streetview Nears Completion

• 10-03-2010 11:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

The UK Streetview mapping started in 2008 and is going live tomorrow,

238,000 Route Miles captured and digitised in 2 years.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/google-streetview-to-cover-every-uk-road-2093884.html
    From Thursday ( 11 March 2010 ) , the search giant’s Streetview technology will feature 360-degree images of more than 99pc of the United Kingdom’s roads , both rural and urban, covering a total of approximately 238,000 miles.

In March 2009 they started to do the 60,000 odd miles of Irish Roads and they are finishing that up by May 2010 I understand.

Over the winter they quality controlled what they had and the camera was sent out to redo some of it in February but should finish by the end of May.

My understanding is that maps.google.com will switch over to the Google Maps generated by their own drivers by July or August 2010 Latest and that the main cities will have their Streetview up by then.

The rest of the country goes live next year. 2011.

All of it, warn yeer mammies :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Great news. I find Streetview helpful when going to a new city to get my bearings and have a feel for what the street and hotel I'm staying at looks like. That, and casually browsing around the streets of other, bigger cities :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The weird thing about Irish streetview is that the dataset will belong to Google USA and will come from a US server, they don't want any hassle :)

If there is none they will move it to the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Steel Pump

UK? There's literally not one word mentioned about ireland in that article

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ireland acquisition started March 2009 and we go live later this year or early next year. Cities first, this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have seen the car driving in Limerick recently. The camera was on top of a ford focus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Update to uk streetview is up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

that's amazing. in n.ireland where they don;t even have decent ariel photo's like in co.armagh they now have amost complete street view!

I can see my mums house in Portadown from all angles now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

slinky2000 wrote: »
    that's amazing. in n.ireland where they don;t even have decent ariel photo's like in co.armagh they now have amost complete street view!

I can see my mums house in Portadown from all angles now :P

Aye my folks got new windows put in about 6 months ago and are annoyed the old ones are still visible!! My father saw it and was annoyed that the house was photo'ed with nobody at home, I believe you can get your house blurred out if you contact Google. Not sure exactly how this is done but I could see potential security risks alright

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've found myself looking up old houses I've lived in and owned to see what the new owners have done to them ... sad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I spoke to a guy who works on the Google project in Dublin recently and he told me the whole process from Car to appearing on Google Earth takes roughly two years due to all the processing involved with aligning the photos over maps and blanking out peoples faces and car licence plates etc. I wouldn't hold my breath for the ROI streetview just yet, the big cities will appear sooner but ballygobackwards in the middle of nowhere has at least a year or longer to run yet. Fair play to Google for doing it and even the remotest of bohereens will be on it like is in NI. What boggles me is there lack of coverage for other parts of Europe, like Germany where most of their Sat maps are 10 years old and there is no sign of StreetView, I guess getting the European HQ in Dublin shoved us up the priority queue a bit!

I wish they could just get all of Ireland with some decent 2008> satellite imagery which would help things along nicely also. Bing Maps have satellite coverage in places that Google Earth have none also which is fierce handy, eg. Sligo Airport is not mapped on Google but is on Bing Maps and with Bing Maps in Birds Eye view it gives a good help also.

If there was some open source app that could somehow merge Google & Bing Maps with OpenStreet Maps accurate Motorway maps then we'd be laughing! Nerdy programmers get programming! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Canal Court Hotel Newry - Banner that went up in September 2009 clearly visible at entrance to back car park advertising their wedding fair - thats like -- 6 months max !!
    Although in other parts of the town (sorry city) the pictures are clearly older - lack of flyover at Cloghue roundabout for example
    The answer will probably be Google's little secret :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Stinicker wrote: »
    What boggles me is there lack of coverage for other parts of Europe, like Germany where most of their Sat maps are 10 years old and there is no sign of StreetView, I guess getting the European HQ in Dublin shoved us up the priority queue a bit!
    I read that there are data protection issues preventing streetview from being rolled out in Germany just now. Not sure if that's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

murphaph wrote: »
    I read that there are data protection issues preventing streetview from being rolled out in Germany just now. Not sure if that's still the case.

Yeah, the most Germans are against Street View (privacy violations etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Apanachi wrote: »
    Yeah, the most Germans are against Street View (privacy violations etc..)

Sure they've nothing to worry about, was just taking a virtual stroll around The Bogside in Derry, noticed a face on one if the murals had been blurred out by Google. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Stinicker wrote: »
    If there was some open source app that could somehow merge Google & Bing Maps with OpenStreet Maps accurate Motorway maps then we'd be laughing! Nerdy programmers get programming! ;)
    Well this one does Gmaps and Bing at least :)
    chinchin wrote: »
    Sure they've nothing to worry about, was just taking a virtual stroll around The Bogside in Derry, noticed a face on one if the murals had been blurred out by Google. :D
    Yea - it often blurs out wheel hubcaps too - the face blurring is automated and is a little over-zealous sometimes :)

Advertisement