Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion (may contain details that some might find upsetting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

You can get a abortion at 20 weeks!! Babies have been born at 20 weeks and survived!!1 This shows that there more than a bunch of cells but a living person!!
    Imo its fuked up and sick!! 4 weeks is one thing but to practially kill your unborn child who can see and hear is just wrong!
    this I would agree with.I think maybe 2 months is the limit,once the child is able to sustain itself[I.E when the heart starts beating] it's alive and you're actually killing it.

Just my opinion/definition of life.
    deisedude wrote:
    What about abortions for some, miniature American flags for others?

see previous post for a response to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Same here but if someone is to go through with this then at least have some thought into it rather that make the desision in like a hour other things!

Same here but if someone is to go through with this then at least have some thought into it rather that make the desision in like a hour other things!
    I can say with almost absolute certainty no one,just decides in an hour or so to up and have an abortion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

thebman wrote: »
    A fetus doesn't have human rights or every country allows abortions would be violating those rights too. It isn't recognised as violating a living beings rights. Some people may argue it should but it isn't currently the case AFAIK.

isnt there something called : Feticide or foeticide is an act that causes the death of a fetus.[1] In a legal context, "fetal homicide" or "child destruction" refers to the deliberate or incidental killing of a fetus due to a criminal human act, such as a blow to the abdomen of a pregnant woman. As a medical term, feticide is destruction of a fetus,[2] for example as the first phase of a legal induced abortion.[3] Feticide does not refer to the death of a fetus from entirely natural causes, such as the miscarriage of a pregnancy.

In 2004, Congress enacted and President Bush signed the Unborn Victims of Violence Act, which recognizes the "child in utero" as a legal victim if he or she is injured or killed during the commission of any of 68 existing federal crimes of violence. These crimes include some acts that are federal crimes no matter where they occur (e.g., certain acts of terrorism), crimes in federal jurisdictions, crimes within the military system, crimes involving certain federal officials, and other special cases. The law defines "child in utero" as "a member of the species homo sapiens, at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb."
    Of the 35 states that recognize fetal homicide, 25 apply the principle throughout the period of pre-natal development, while 10 establish protection at some later stage, which varies from state to state. For example, California treats the killing of a fetus as homicide, but does not treat the killing of an embryo (prior to approximately eight weeks) as homicide, by construction of the California Supreme Court.[7] Some other states do not consider the killing of a fetus to be homicide until the fetus has reached quickening or viability.
    Unlawful abortion may be considered "feticide", even if the pregnant woman consents to the abortion.[8]

In English law, "child destruction" is the crime of killing a child "capable of being born alive", before it has "a separate existence".[9] The crime was introduced by the Infant Life (Preservation) Act 1929, to address a lacuna in the law:[9] infanticide did not apply to fetuses, and "procurement of a miscarriage" (criminal abortion under the Offences against the Person Act 1861) applied only to unviable fetuses.I][URL="http://www.boards.ie/wiki/Wikipedia:Disputed_statement"][COLOR=#002bb8]dubious[/COLOR][/URL] – [URL="http://www.boards.ie/wiki/Talk:Feticide#Dubious"][COLOR=#002bb8]discuss[/COLOR][/URL][/I The Crimes Act 1958 defined "capable of being born alive" as 28 weeks' gestation, later reduced to 24 weeks.[9] The 1990 Amendment to the Abortion Act 1967 means a medical practitioner cannot be guilty of the crime.[9] The charge of child destruction is rare.[10] A woman who had an unsafe abortion while 7½ months pregnant was given a suspended sentence of 12 months in 2007;[11] the Crown Prosecution Service was unaware of any similar conviction.[10]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Don't copy and paste wiki articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just stating the fact that a fetus has human rights!

Just stating the fact that a fetus has human rights!
    and a lot of people agree with you.

a FOETUS has human rights.

an EMBRYO doesn't.IMO at least

but when is the line between embryo and fetus crossed?

but when is the line between embryo and fetus crossed?
    general concensus is 8 weeks,when the Placenta is a fully developed "person" it has all the organs /systems it will have when it's born,it just needs to fill out nad grow from there on in[at this stage it's about 2" in length] it would look definitely humanoid if you saw it,not just a cell/fleshy lump like it's been up to this point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Basically, if it looks like a sea monkey, it means as much as a sea monkey to me........

• Advertisement

You can get a abortion at 20 weeks!! Babies have been born at 20 weeks and survived!!1 This shows that there more than a bunch of cells but a living person!!
    Imo its fuked up and sick!! 4 weeks is one thing but to practially kill your unborn child who can see and hear is just wrong!

Babies have been born at 20 weeks, but not naturally, incredible lengths had to be gone to to keep these things alive.

It's not nearly as simple as you imply.

Please stop being so emotive........

Stop calling them things!!!!!!! ffs have some feeling!

I hope you're taking the piss now.

I'm a nihilist. Feeling? Pssssssh!

Fad wrote: »
    Basically, if it looks like a sea monkey, it means as much as a sea monkey to me........
    wow,you're a bit of a bastard[and this coming from me] a bit of tact man.

hitlersson666: the attention people pay to you rposts scales inversely with the amount of exclamation marks you use.

and tbh they are things,until it can be born naturally,it's not a person IMO and they don't have "feelings" or nerves for that matter for at least a few months more

You havent picked up on that? :P (ffs you've met me!)

Sorry but there not ''sea monkies''

You havent picked up on that? :P (ffs you've met me!)
    oh,I know I'm not THAT different.Bu twhen you've people dealing with/feeling strongly about sensitive issues like this a bit of subtlety goes a long way.I'm all for speaking your mind,but I'm not for making heartless comments to people who actually believe in this stuff.

don't worry I'll be back making racist/tactless jokes in no time,but for now......take it easy on the baby-slaughter talk

kthxbai

No, no they are not. I am not implying that they are. My point is they dont resemble a human in any capacity, they couldnt survive even with endless medical intervention. I dont think (If I somehow got cursed with a womb) I would have much of a problem terminating the pregnancy now.

I would have much of a problem terminating the pregnancy now.
    .......must .....not....link ....."stephen lynch a song for the ladie"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

So fellow c&h's what's your view's

Mine are that its wrong unless it's for the health of the mother or rape!
    If someone is stupid enough to have unprotected sex and they get pregnant that it's there responsibility

My opinion exactly....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

What annoys me is that you started this thread, asking for people's views, and then you force your views on other people.

Im not but its kinda offence and well abusive! each to there own!

Im not but its kinda offence and well abusive! each to there own!

I cannot understand how it's abusive. :confused:

I makes me physically sick to agree with Sligobrewer*, but he's right.

I listened to you, I disregarded your opinions, now disregard mine, (because I've thought it through for the last 4 years and there isnt a HOPE that you will change my mind.........)

*(Love you Chris! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

And how healthy did these babies turn out to be? As Fad said, it takes massive amounts of medical intervention just to make them live.

You say this like they have some form of advanced thought processes, which they certainly don't. They can feel in the same way that if I pinch you, you will feel it. They don't have emotions.

Anyway.
    I'm pro-choice, I believe I'm quite liberal about most things. Though it has to be said, my stance on abortion has been rattled a bit since I read the actual procedures. They are quite scary and sickening.

The choice bit is the most important part. I don't fully agree with abortions. In cases of rape and where the mother is in danger, then yes, I definitely think an abortion is a serious option. But other than that, I don't agree with it. Having a child is not necessarily the end of your life. The baby can be put up for adoption, and shockingly, the baby can also be kept.

It might seem like my post doesn't make sense, but it makes sense in my head...

Jay P wrote: »
    Though it has to be said, my stance on abortion has been rattled a bit since I read the actual procedures. They are quite scary and sickening.

I'm not denying for a second that those procedures are kinda horrible, but they're also conveniently horrific examples. The quote that HS666 used was horribly sensationalist, brummytom's one from the NHS is much more fair (here) (I fail to see how that's sickening as he points out, but anyway......)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm all for a cheap laugh and lifting the tone of a thread,but less of that thanks.This is a topic that could effect people who post here.
    see previous post for a response to this

Appreciate what you're trying to say here, but please don't backseat-mod. Report any posts you have a problem with.

And less of that aswell. (I know you're messing and so does Fad, which is why you're escaping without an infraction. But less of the abuse, serious or otherwise.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm not denying for a second that those procedures are kinda horrible, but they're also conveniently horrific examples. The quote that HS666 used was horribly sensationalist, brummytom's one from the NHS is much more fair (here) (I fail to see how that's sickening as he points out, but anyway......)

Yes, I know what you mean, it certainly is not as needlessly graphic. That said, I honestly can't say I like the NHS example very much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've posted about abortion on Boards before, and the way I see it, the debate can go on and on, round and round, for pretty much ever. Right, wrong, who are any of us to say?

It's so easy to sit in front of your computer and condemn others for not having the same views as you. It's easy to say that abortion is wrong. It's not easy to get pregnant at sixteen. It's not easy to find out that you're pregnant as the result of a rape. It's not easy to find out that you have cancer when you are pregnant and the only way to save your life is to end that of your child.

People say that it's not ok to justify abortion with excuses. Sometimes though, life isn't so simple that the truth can be faced. Sometimes people have to do what they have to do and sometimes excuses aren't just that, they're chapters from peoples life stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

It is interesting that the 'pro-choice' side use the words of Jesus Christ to attempt to justify their position: 'This is my body'. Whilst the Divine Lord was crucified, shed His blood and died, giving His life for the life of the world, the woman who chooses abortion sheds the blood of her child, for her own life, her own convenience. One is an act of selfless, sacrificial love, the other a purely selfish act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Ultravid wrote: »
    It is interesting that the 'pro-choice' side use the words of Jesus Christ to attempt to justify their position: 'This is my body'. Whilst the Divine Lord was crucified, shed His blood and died, giving His life for the life of the world, the woman who chooses abortion sheds the blood of her child, for her own life, her own convenience. One is an act of selfless, sacrificial love, the other a purely selfish act.

Never thought of it that way.
    But tbh I'd say those in favour of abortion are generally not big into Jesus/Christianity.

And no, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I don't believe in a god myself.

Advertisement