Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for teaching a young child chess?

• 06-03-2010 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭

Not trying to over think it but I have been teaching my kid chess on and off since he was 4 , he is 5 now. He knows the rules and we normally play by me taking my queen and 3 other pieces off the board at the start, keeps me on my toes! Now the question, are there general pointers that I can get him to think about when playing or is it best to just let him play on his own terms?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Try and teach him some simple openings, and explain why certain pieces are moved to certain squares. I wouldn't be an expert or anything but I would probably teach kings pawn openings to start, ie. 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dave147 wrote: »
    Try and teach him some simple openings, and explain why certain pieces are moved to certain squares. I wouldn't be an expert or anything but I would probably teach kings pawn openings to start, ie. 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 etc.

cheers. I'll have to do research to get some ideas. I was reasonably good at chess at school but never formally learned stratagies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

5 is very young to be learning openings, my preference would be for shorter, more fun problems. There are simple things like playing a rook against 5 pawns (no kings) and trying to stop them. And you don't always have to be kept on your toes - feel free to lose a few games! Some simple tactical problems (forks, pins etc) are also handy as they're short and rewarding and a good way of learning how the pieces work. My dad used to teach chess to kids for many years and I remember it's important to mix it up & keep it interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

id recommend letting your kid play on the site linked below

http://gameknot.com/

your meant to be over 13 to play on the site but with good parenting I think your ok! Its a great site with LOADS of active players all over the world at various different levels. You start off at rated 1200. Ive just started getting back chess and find it the best 'corresponce' chess site about, there is also an unrated blitz chess feature. The more you play chess the more you learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Seriously, enough with the blatant advertising of gameknot, the child is 5 for christs sake, he has no business playing online chess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

Dave147 wrote: »
    Seriously, enough with the blatant advertising of gameknot, the child is 5 for christs sake, he has no business playing online chess.

ill advertise whatever I like to mate you dont like it, TS!!

Advertisement