Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kishoge station: A white elephant never opened

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

that is crazy.good old IE making a right mess of things yet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Rud wrote: »
    that is crazy.good old IE making a right mess of things yet again

Wouldn't agree with that - IE were doing the job right in that they foresaw a demand and provided for it while they were in the midst of a major construction project (IMO, the station would be much cheaper to build while contractors, machinery etc were already available as a result of the Kildare Route Project). Also, the Kildare Route would not have to be disrupted again.

I blame the people who created the economic mess that we're in - the people who led us to believe that there was a huge demand for housing etc. IE are not the economists, so they are not to blame IMO.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Wouldn't agree with that - IE were doing the job right in that they foresaw a demand and provided for it while they were in the midst of a major construction project (IMO, the station would be much cheaper to build while contractors, machinery etc were already available as a result of the Kildare Route Project). Also, the Kildare Route would not have to be disrupted again.

I blame the people who created the economic mess that we're in - the people who led us to believe that there was a huge demand for housing etc. IE are not the economists, so they are not to blame IMO.

Regards!

The problem is there has been no construction going on for the past, let's say, 18 months, but CIE continued to construct the station right up until the damn thing was completed.

Now the whole thing is just going to fall apart :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lifelike wrote: »
    The problem is there has been no construction going on for the past, let's say, 18 months, but CIE continued to construct the station right up until the damn thing was completed.

Now the whole thing is just going to fall apart :mad:
    I can see their point, an unfinished railway station would be an eyesore and a liability. At least it can now be motballed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I can't find the post where I predicted this station would never open. But lets be honest with ourselves, before a foundation was dug on it, the arse had fallen out of the construction industry. Assuming that contracts were signed well in advance of the collpase, it was going to be built regardless. Now we face the cost of maintaining it, because if we don't it will become derelict very quickly.

This debacle is not an IE/CIE thing directly. Its more a victim of the blind acceptance that the property boom would go forever. That blindness can be shared by many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I agree - a half-finished station is no incentive for further development once property prices are adjusted back to reality and Ireland does an Iceland and stages a popular revolt against NAMA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I can see their point, an unfinished railway station would be an eyesore and a liability. At least it can now be motballed.

Probably had the construction contract signed more like.

Is Adamstown station getting much use? Considering Adamstown itself has been partially still-born (a lot if it is empty), the station isn't within walking distance for a lot of Adamstown, and it serves the wrong Dublin station...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

You will find that a station like Kishogue will most likely be funded with some level of developer levies when/if there is real estate build around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's interesting :(

Development in the area hasn't happened because it has been in the planning phase. So that argument doesn't cut the mustard

Planning permission has just been granted (a few weeks ago iirc) for 1000 homes plus plenty of office space right beside Kishoge station. Condition of the permission was obviously that the train station would be open...

Not that anybody is going to build anything anywhere soon anyway :)

And as JHMEG said, the Kildare railway goes into Heuston, which is no good to most people.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Is Adamstown station getting much use?

I doubt it. And Fonthill has been open what, a year now? And the carpark is always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dudes.

Is the station NOT THERE because of some stillborn SDZ...like Hansfield on the Navan :D Line and Adamstown on the Limerick Line, related to like Clonburris SDZ that did get designated ?? but has not gone much further through planning and certainly not to construction.

I feel that it is a bit unfair to bosh IE over the head about this one. The SDZ is approved making all that lovely development land available for our wonderful builders to build on and there is massive demand out there is there not ???

In the case of Hansfield they built the platforms only which is probably what they should have done with Kishogue ....all with the benefit of hindsight of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think that there are plenty of people living nearby to justify the opening of the station, but ah well :(

Opinions?

There are literally hundreds of houses within 5-10 minutes walk from this station including my own so it beggars belief that this station which is practically finished will not open.

However I've used Adamsown station also on occasion and it's very ghostly despite how many houses / apartments are close at hand...

There are literally hundreds of houses within 5-10 minutes walk from this station including my own so it beggars belief that this station which is practically finished will not open.

However I've used Adamsown station also on occasion and it's very ghostly despite how many houses / apartments are close at hand...

I guess it's the lack of integration that's stopping people from commuting in by train. People want to get to places like Grafton Street and Stephen's Green, although they will be served when (or should I say, if) the Interconnector opens.

Kishoge station will be in a right state by then unless it's maintained :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

how would it cost anything to open the station if it was unstaffed like Broombridge?
    and aren't some of the stations in East Cork unstaffed also?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They are old pictures. The Kishoge railway station has been pretty much completed for nearly a year now (except car park, etc.). From where I'm typing now, I can see it when I stand up :)

It's about 200-300m from my home as the crow flies...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭kc56

Apart from the decision not to open Kishogue station, at the moment it cannot open!

Kishogue only has 3 platforms with none on the down-fast line. Until the KRP is completed it cannot open. One major part of the KRP remains which is the relaying of the two down tracks. As the down-slow will be out of use from time to time, outbound trains will not be able to stop. This work will not be completed until later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

how would it cost anything to open the station if it was unstaffed like Broombridge?
    Then the station buildings would end up being trashed and people just wouldn't pay the fare.

In fairness, if you get a bus and rail ticket, you can use the 151 (very good service on uncongested roads) to access Adamstown or cycle / drive to Adamstown or Clondalkin Fonthill. there is no car park at Kishoge.

One problem I do see is how passengers are meant to get from the west side of the Outer Ring Road to the east side with a Jersey Barrier in the way. attachment.php?attachmentid=835&d=1226780066

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thx 4 pics..i see lots of fields...

at least being there it could spur on some priority being given to development there.

corktina wrote: »
    thx 4 pics..i see lots of fields...

at least being there it could spur on some priority being given to development there.

But apparently there are hundreds of empty apartments and townhouses in nearby Adamstown. So I don't think that a lot of development will be happening there soon :(

The question now is what to do with the station :confused:

But apparently there are hundreds of empty apartments and townhouses in nearby Adamstown.
    That is true, and a lot of Adamstown hasn't been built either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Add it to the forthcoming, "Look what the Celtic Tiger did" Tour.:D

If the developers got together with IR and proposed a large open air flea market on the site by the Station it could open up for it at weekends. There is no decent "boot sale" markets in Dublin and with the way the economy is going I'm sure there would be an opening for one. Its also a perfect venue for circuses etc as it is away from residential areas.

Wembly flea market is a huge success on a Sunday and it is served directly by the Metropolitan / Jubilee line which stops directly at it.

If the developers got together with IR and proposed a large open air flea market on the site by the Station it could open up for it at weekends. There is no decent "boot sale" markets in Dublin and with the way the economy is going I'm sure there would be an opening for one. Its also a perfect venue for circuses etc as it is away from residential areas.

Wembly flea market is a huge success on a Sunday and it is served directly by the Metropolitan / Jubilee line which stops directly at it.

Would probably be a good idea, although remember that Wembley Park tube station serves the local community aswell, so it would remain open anyway. But I do agree that something like that could give IÉ an excuse to open this station...

Would probably be a good idea, although remember that Wembley Park tube station serves the local community aswell, so it would remain open anyway. But I do agree that something like that could give IÉ an excuse to open this station...
    Large park and ride facility for would be an other option but people would be reluctant to use it if fees are too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

But apparently there are hundreds of empty apartments and townhouses in nearby Adamstown. So I don't think that a lot of development will be happening there soon :(

I Think they should open it, Look at Pheonix Park Station on the Matnooth line.

Every commuter train stops there, Despite it being within spitting distance of Ashtown!

I remember saying to friends years ago that it was a Stupid idea to open a station so close to Ashtown, and only on the assumption that a massive developement was being built on the far side of the Navan Road.

The station see's only a handful of 'foot' passengers a day, However in terms of Park & Ride, I have seen the Car Park reasonably full.

This is another pointless station, though they should finish it, we keep hearing the advice telling us to prepare for the up-lift in the economy..

The semi-state body should be practising this too!

Regards,
    Matt,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Personally I don't see the point in opening the station until an increased level of service on the line is implemented with the delivery of more 3-car 22K sets next year.

At that point yes it should open, and I would hope that a Park & Ride site is included, because there are significant numbers of people in South Lucan who would use the service. It is very accessible from that area.

Could someone from Lucan post their opinion on that? There seems to be a notion in this country that any train service is great, when clearly that's not the case. Serving a station on the outskirts on the fringe of the city centre and not integrating with other suburban rail are majorly off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

JHMEG wrote: »
    Could someone from Lucan post their opinion on that? There seems to be a notion in this country that any train service is great, when clearly that's not the case. Serving a station on the outskirts on the fringe of the city centre and not integrating with other suburban rail are majorly off-putting.

Knowing a not insignificant number of people from that area who work in the city, I asked them a very specific question - if there were a minimum of 4 trains per hour in the peak and two in the off-peak, with parking facilities at Kishoge station would they use it?

The answer from all of them was, interestingly, yes.

The point I am making is that it would be quite daft to open it as it stands without increasing frequency to make it a viable alternative to the bus/car. Nor would it make sense to open without a Park & Ride facility. I'm not sure whether one is planned for the station or not, but if there isn't someone's head should roll.

I'm not in the habit of making wild statements without doing a little research first!

I meant on thread.

Unkel lives beside the station and doesn't seem to think the service is much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Adamstown gets some use, as does Clondalkin Fonthill I imagine. As Kishoge is unlikely to ever have a car park, I can't see it opening until either (a) train frequency is substantially increased (via the extra 22000 sets or displaced 2900 sets) or (b) there is sufficient demand in the immediate vicinity, i.e. on the door step.

Advertisement