Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I paddled today thread

• 06-02-2010 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Heres the idea: Every time you go for a paddle, you can post what you did here, i.e. which river, boat, distance and anything else that happened while you paddled, any strange events or weirs you shot etc.

I'll start the ball rolling, and set the bar high!!!

Today I paddled 19km flatwater in a K1 ( racing boat) between inistioge and New Ross, in KIlkenny, River Nore.

Two swans chased us down the river for a while!

OK, I know its not that interesting, but its a start, and I like flatwater!!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

so nobody has replied yet, but i might as well put up my one for today!!!

exact same place and boat as yesterday, but only 9 km today :( swans still there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Do you always go with the Ttown paddlers or just a few mates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

paddled the barrow from bagnealstown (sp?) to goresbridge yesterday.....it's about 10 km

se conman wrote: »
    Do you always go with the Ttown paddlers or just a few mates ?

with the paddlers but theres only a few of us there each time . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Okay, I know it's a bit late, but I paddled the Liffey on Saturday with the UCD club, Sluice down to Wren's nest. It was the highest I've seen the river in ages. The fish boxes on Lucan weir were...sporty to say the least! I didn't chance them, but saw a couple of people get a hard time on them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kayak surfed on keel beach, achill island today. great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Out on the Dereen in Carlow on Sunday - good old tullow kc haunt - great run - nasty strainer to be avoided after the gorge. found a new hole to throw the boat into and had plenty of rolling practice in it, resulting in ice cream head - lovely !!!!
    missed getting chased by the swans and bit by the farmers dogs at aghade - I sorta felt the day wasnt complete ?

christramp wrote: »
    Out on the Dereen in Carlow on Sunday - good old tullow kc haunt - great run - nasty strainer to be avoided after the gorge. found a new hole to throw the boat into and had plenty of rolling practice in it, resulting in ice cream head - lovely !!!!
    missed getting chased by the swans and bit by the farmers dogs at aghade - I sorta felt the day wasnt complete ?

you racing aghade at the weekend???

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

I work every second weekend and this is the week in - bummer, its two years ill have missed it now - there are a few lads from the club heading down though.
    Bumped into a large group of racers last Sunday - they were bombing down through aghade - Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Whats this race ye speak of? white water or flat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Whats this race ye speak of? white water or flat?

Its part for the ICU Wild Water Racing Committee's race series, it takes place on the river Slaney just outside Tullow Co. Carlow some more info on that strech of water can be found HERE.

Its normally Wave Hoppers / wild water racers and that kinda jazz, thay have a GP class as far al I know.

The river is class 2/3 but with the lack of rain as of late it will be class dog low.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

cool stuff, must patch up my old sprite and try some of the races again. been 12 years since i raced!

cool stuff, must patch up my old sprite and try some of the races again. been 12 years since i raced!

theres two races, a longer one on saturday, starting in tullow, and a short sprint on sunday at the bridge in aghade. you do two sprints on sunday and your combined time counts . . .

anyone go to aghade???

Didn't get to go paddling at all this weekend. :mad: might be out tomorrow though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

This thread is a great idea!

Recently a few mates and myself paddled from Clonmel [Thomas bridge] to Carrick-on-Suir (17 K). Just keep the kayaks pointing in the right direction and go with the flow which had us drifting at 8-9 Km per hour.:D
    Excellent scenery and brilliant weather :).
    A few kilometres upstream of Carrick we noticed concrete slabs left along the bank of the river ....... On our arrival in Carrick we struck upon a very friendly gentleman who is from the Carrick area and he relayed to us some stories of the river Suir's fishing/navigation and the importance of the river as an infrastructure for the transport of goods/materials, from Clonmel to the open sea at Waterford [visa versa].
    The conversation moved to the concrete slabs ...., and to our horror he told us that these slabs were going to be placed across the river, fitted with some equipment, as a means to count fish [Salmon?], but basically preventing any form of navigation on this stretch of inland waterway.
    For those of you not familiar with the Suir, there are no locks or weirs etc, between Clonmel & the open sea at Waterford, I'm not sure of the total distance, but this has to be one of the longest stretches of un-interrupted navigable waterways in the country, what a way to destroy a fine resource.:mad:

Mod's, I'm not trying to hijack this important thread, so feel free to move this if you desire.

I'm not from the area, so I was doing a bit of research before the trip and found this site http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-upper-suir-carrick-to-clonmel/

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

999/112 wrote: »
    This thread is a great idea!

Recently a few mates and myself paddled from Clonmel [Thomas bridge] to Carrick-on-Suir (17 K). Just keep the kayaks pointing in the right direction and go with the flow which had us drifting at 8-9 Km per hour.:D
    Excellent scenery and brilliant weather :).
    A few kilometres upstream of Carrick we noticed concrete slabs left along the bank of the river ....... On our arrival in Carrick we struck upon a very friendly gentleman who is from the Carrick area and he relayed to us some stories of the river Suir's fishing/navigation and the importance of the river as an infrastructure for the transport of goods/materials, from Clonmel to the open sea at Waterford [visa versa].
    The conversation moved to the concrete slabs ...., and to our horror he told us that these slabs were going to be placed across the river, fitted with some equipment, as a means to count fish [Salmon?], but basically preventing any form of navigation on this stretch of inland waterway.
    For those of you not familiar with the Suir, there are no locks or weirs etc, between Clonmel & the open sea at Waterford, I'm not sure of the total distance, but this has to be one of the longest stretches of un-interrupted navigable waterways in the country, what a way to destroy a fine resource.:mad:

Mod's, I'm not trying to hijack this important thread, so feel free to move this if you desire.

I'm not from the area, so I was doing a bit of research before the trip and found this site http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-upper-suir-carrick-to-clonmel/

Sounds like a nice paddle alrite. How long did it take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

a/tel wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice paddle alrite. How long did it take you?

A little over 1.5 hrs "on the water" but about 2.5 -3 hrs in total to include several stops en-route ...... nice 'n easy!:D

Then add time for vehicle transfers.:(

did 10k on the barrow today . . . flat section.

was paddling the nore between inistioge and new ross today ( not the full distance!) It was -4 at the time, and the tide was fully in. As the tide went out, the banks froze, covered in ice where the water had been . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

spent the week exploring new rivers. got one first descent in. found one more. also discovered a few sweet rivers that have been paddled but are not well known. will post up info as and when we have all the juicy bits fully exploited. for now, here is a pic. low water. blurry as it was late having spent the day cutting the river out of the tree infestation.
    20248_1330948803322_1519073567_880304_6442374_n.jpg
    this is the small slide. there is a much bigger one upstream.

• Advertisement

clashganny run on the barrow

ec18 wrote: »
    clashganny run on the barrow

is it very low there at the moment???

first marathon race of the season today, river finn in donegal, 11km.

it's not too bad, it's not scrape-y at all....can see the wall at the first weir though

had a quick run down clash last sunday, was nice about the same level as the week before.

Paddling Graig to St.Mullins this weekend, should be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Paddled the jacksons section on the avonmore today, very low although jacksons was running. Nice to be back on the avonmore all the same. :)

ec18 wrote: »
    had a quick run down clash last sunday, was nice about the same level as the week before.

Paddling Graig to St.Mullins this weekend, should be fun :)

clash was low today . . .how did graig to st. mullins go???

was alright a little low and hit a few rocks but otherwise i enjoyed the run......next time think i'll bring more than a playboat. Those falt bits are a killer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rooney32

paddled the dereen today from rathglass bridge (between tullow and ardattin) to aghade bridge. level was low and water was freezing but its a nice run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I cant compete with you folks (quiet new to Kayaking) but I did get out today on the Royal Canal at Enfield with the kids. Did a couple of Kms in a Perception Blaze and a Pyranha Recoil, hard work on flat water...

Advertisement