Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shipping from Oz to Ireland.

• 18-02-2010 11:38pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one here shipped a car from Australia to Ireland. Id be interested to get some idea of costs involved, and the shipping agents used. thanks

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

The brother brought back a gigantic beast of a car a few years back, but he shipped all his furniture at the same time. Basically filled a whole container.

No idea of the cost or company but will ask him the next time we have a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rust or Weld

costs about 3 grand all in

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Any shipping quote possibly won't include port charges at both ends. You also need to factor in customs duty and VAT on the car+transport costs (unless it's your car already).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Dades wrote: »
    Any shipping quote possibly won't include port charges at both ends. You also need to factor in customs duty and VAT on the car+transport costs (unless it's your car already).

What customs duty and vat would be applicable to a classic car of 1972 origin, how is it calculated. What is a typical port charge at Dublin. Thanks

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik the duty and VAT are based on the value of the car plus cost of shipping. Duty is calculated first, then VAT on the new total (again afaik). No idea about port costs.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Hey kadman,

I asked my brother who he used to ship his car and he said he had used a crowd that he wouldn't care to use again "overseas shippers & Packers" in brisbane.

They charge you to pick up, pack, send and deliver, and you couldn't just get the drop off yourself and pick up yourself offer. Google 'car movers'. There are loads of them!

He spent 3grand on the shipping (he didn't mention port duties, so perhaps they took care of it!?), but as I said, he hired the whole container and he reckons that you should be able to ship the car itself for €2k or so.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but the replies above seem to have good info on different aspects of shipping.

All the best and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

There is some deal that the UK have with the Aussies on importing cars, might be cheaper to import to the Uk first then here.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

its way cheaper to import to the uk first , then ship/drive it over here ;)

was gonna try one of these babys ....

holden torrana :cool:
    slr500.jpg

toranacoupe.jpg

someday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Kadman,

I am a freight forwarder and can possibly assist you with some of the questions you have asked.

1) If the car is over 30 years old, there is no VRT payable on imports.
    2) I also believe (but am not 100% sure) that if the car is over 30 years old, it is considered an "antique" and therefore no VAT might be payable on imports.
    3) The import duty would be 10% for used cars. However, suggest you contact The Classification unit in Nenagh. Specifically mention the engine size and the age of the car. The number is 067-63469. Again there may be an exemption considering the age of the car.

In terms of shipping, can you PM me the port of origin ? I would be happy to assist you in sourcing rates for this shipment.

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Kadman,

I am a freight forwarder and can possibly assist you with some of the questions you have asked.

2) I also believe (but am not 100% sure) that if the car is over 30 years old, it is considered an "antique" and therefore no VAT might be payable on imports.
    3) The import duty would be 10% for used cars. However, suggest you contact The Classification unit in Nenagh. Specifically mention the engine size and the age of the car. The number is 067-63469. Again there may be an exemption considering the age of the car.

Unfortunately this 'historic vehicle' exemption does not normally work out. It is only for cars that have a proven and certifiable historic provenance, are of special historic value: for example have a very limited production run, are proven to be one of only a few cars remaining, or to have been owned by someone of historic importance, unique in original (!!) specification, etc. So far the only car that I have been able to import through this 'VAT exemption' clause, is a thirties Bugatti!!!

So I would definitely calculate in the 21% VAT !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    Unfortunately this 'historic vehicle' exemption does not normally work out. It is only for cars that have a proven and certifiable historic provenance, are of special historic value: for example have a very limited production run, are proven to be one of only a few cars remaining, or to have been owned by someone of historic importance, unique in original (!!) specification, etc. So far the only car that I have been able to import through this 'VAT exemption' clause, is a thirties Bugatti!!!

Hello PaulK_CCI,

that's one of the great things about this forum. Nobody knows everything there is to know about everything (although, being Dutch myself, I sometimes think I do - know everything about everything .....), but by asking the question you get the answer from all the different contributors. I must admit I have never imported a classic car before, so I am glad you were able to add to the thread based on your experience.

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

Unless the car was sold at some stage during it's life within the EU - it will be chargeable to VAT on it's first introduction to any EU country.

In fact I paid VAT on a 1972 car imported from Canada some years back!

With regards to the vat payment. Is that calculated on 21% of what I pay for the car, or 21 % of what the customs value the car at.

If its a customs valuation, is there a definitive list of how they arrive at.....lets say a rate for a 35 year old VW fastback.

Thanks

kadman

Unless the car was sold at some stage during it's life within the EU - it will be chargeable to VAT on it's first introduction to any EU country.

In fact I paid VAT on a 1972 car imported from Canada some years back!

What criteria was used to calculate the vat.

thanks

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    What criteria was used to calculate the vat.
    They based my VAT on the cost of the car PLUS the shipping charge. The shipping charge was as per an invoice I had from the shipping company (I don't think port charges were included - these were about €300).

Interestingly, the cost of the car used in calculating VAT was as per an invoice that I provided them - which was backed up by the shipping insurance valuation (as given to the shipping co. by me). Let's just say the two have to match, but you take your chances if you undervalue the insurance amount. ;)

They based my VAT on the cost of the car PLUS the shipping charge. The shipping charge was as per an invoice I had from the shipping company (I don't think port charges were included - these were about €300).

Interestingly, the cost of the car used in calculating VAT was as per an invoice that I provided them - which was backed up by the shipping insurance valuation (as given to the shipping co. by me). Let's just say the two have to match, but you take your chances if you undervalue the insurance amount. ;)

Correct. VAT is based on Invoice value + Transport and handling costs (say for example if the car needed to be stored for a number of months etc etc).

As Dades claims, you can aggree with the vendor to supply you with a lower valued invoice of the car, but the guys in the Customs office are not that ignorant, they will know if a car is worth more, but it's ofcourse hard to prove that you indeed manage to get a real bargain: perhaps the seller was desperate to accept any offer...
    But again, as Dades points out, if you then subsequently use a mucher higher insurance value, you will be caught out. Also, if warranty is involved, using a lower valued invoice might not be such a wise idea.

The 'previously sold in the EU' clause is a valid option, because if you can prove that the car once was registered in a European country, or was perhaps first sold in a EU country, than you are exempt from paying VAT duties, because these would have been paid then at the time, and you cannot be charged for VAT twice, regardless of how many years inbetween. (it goes without saying that this doesn't ring home for Pre-war cars registered in Europe, since there WAS no European Union at the time ;-)

Correct. VAT is based on Invoice value + Transport and handling costs (say for example if the car needed to be stored for a number of months etc etc).

As Dades claims, you can aggree with the vendor to supply you with a lower valued invoice of the car, but the guys in the Customs office are not that ignorant, they will know if a car is worth more, but it's ofcourse hard to prove that you indeed manage to get a real bargain: perhaps the seller was desperate to accept any offer...
    But again, as Dades points out, if you then subsequently use a mucher higher insurance value, you will be caught out. Also, if warranty is involved, using a lower valued invoice might not be such a wise idea.

The 'previously sold in the EU' clause is a valid option, because if you can prove that the car once was registered in a European country, or was perhaps first sold in a EU country, than you are exempt from paying VAT duties, because these would have been paid then at the time, and you cannot be charged for VAT twice, regardless of how many years inbetween. (it goes without saying that this doesn't ring home for Pre-war cars registered in Europe, since there WAS no European Union at the time ;-)

So am i right in saying cheapest option is to source a car that is registered in an eu country, over 30 years old= zero vat.

kadman

Paul will know better than me... but the UK is probably still your best bet.

Cars will be RHD for a start, and from what I've seen the prices of (LHD) cars on the continent seem way higher than our neighbours.

kadman wrote: »
    So am i right in saying cheapest option is to source a car that is registered in an eu country, over 30 years old= zero vat.

Correct: that's why all the cars I sell are EU cars, or have their duties paid. Then there are no Customs&Excise duties or VAT to be paid. Also, if a car is in Europe, with flights so cheap, it's always easier for one of my customers to fly out to Holland or Belgium to have a look at the car, so that they are definitely not going to get any surprises.

Paul will know better than me... but the UK is probably still your best bet.
    Cars will be RHD for a start, and from what I've seen the prices of (LHD) cars on the continent seem way higher than our neighbours.

UK is definitely good value at the moment, but in my experience the fact that they are RHD is not neccessarily a strong point. There are a lot of poor to very poor cars out there, it really depends on what you're after: generally the car would have suffered a lot more than cars that spent all of their lives in South of France or Italy.
    (Exception are generally the exclusive to very exclusive cars, that would have led a very sheltered life in heated garages anyway!)
    Re. the LHD - RHD issue: so far, none of my customers has ever come back to me that they couldn't hack the fact that the car I supplied them was Left hand drive :D

If i buy my 35 year old classic in England then, what paperwork do I need at the port in England, and what paperwork in Ireland, when I land.

thanks

kadman

• Advertisement

At the port in England/Ireland, you do not need to 'declare' the car as such, you can just take it along (if you;re driving) or if it;s on the back of trailer, you also do not need to specifically declare the vehicle at customs.

When you go and register the car (officially within 24 hours of arrival, but nobody is going to follow up on that, so no worries there) at your local Vehicle Registration Office or VRO in short, you need to "V5" document, which is more or less that same as the vehicle licensing form.

That's it really. Costs for registering a 30+ year old car=50 euro's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Yep its 21% on shipping and vehicle cost plus another 10% duty.

I paid 3000 on a 10,000 euro car because I was shipping a load of household stuff ( 2 containers) they did not bother taxing in the shipping costs.

I believe you would be better to import it into the UK first as this would save you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guggy1

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Yep its 21% on shipping and vehicle cost plus another 10% duty.

I paid 3000 on a 10,000 euro car because I was shipping a load of household stuff ( 2 containers) they did not bother taxing in the shipping costs.

I believe you would be better to import it into the UK first as this would save you a lot.

I was wondering about getting a pallet maybe and some parts which are unavailable here but are widely available in oz

Advertisement