Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joanna Newsom

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

She gave him the heave ho I think. Anyone know if she's hitting dublin in may?

Yup she is now dating Andy Samberg, which is a rather odd couple.

No word of a Dublin gig yet, but would yelp with excitement if there was. I'd love to head to London, but heading over there for a gig in March, so can't really justify another gig trip so soon :( She is officially the most fantastic live performer I have ever seen though. I spent her entire last Dublin gig in a state of swoonage.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭silver_surfer

Aye last gig here was amazing, I saw her perform Ys with a full orchestra a bit before that too and it was something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Can't see an Irish date anytime soon but she'll have to do a full european tour at some stage.

I got Y's (hadn't even heard MEM) 2 days before her last Irish date went on sale. After listening to the album once I just knew I had to buy tickets so I got them at 9.00 on the Friday morning.

Instantly hooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Her new album is after leaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I've been reading through her last.fm shoutbox (from the point at which people started commentating on their listening to the leak) and it's got me even more excited for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

She's got a voice like Marmite, either you love it or hate it. The music isn't bad but personally I think she sounds like a bag of cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Its streaming on NPR. Listening to it now, I'm 3/4 of the way through and it is an unabashedly beautiful album. I can't really describe it in detail, too much to take in, but I'm absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RonanC

Anyone bought this on iTunes - only showing 3 songs for €14.99? The respective run times of each suggest that it's not each cd as one 'track'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Glad to see another joinee of the cult of Newsom :)
    Probably the most remarkable new musician of the decade.
    careful not to build her up too much. Ill give her a listen later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

/mu/ are creaming themselves at this album. I find it OK if slightly bland. Only given it a couple of listens though. In California is a nice tune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

She gave him the heave ho I think.

Ah yeah but he had her once and he made a great album after she dumped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

It got five stars on Mojo ,I heard one of her songs (Sprout and Bean ) on a Mojo cd. I'm fairly sure she was on Jools Holland

First impressions. Not good. Will give it another listen but again a bit disappointed given the amount of hype that apparently has followed her.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fake Locke wrote: »
    First impressions. Not good. Will give it another listen but again a bit disappointed given the amount of hype that apparently has followed her.

Pfft, i'd suggest listening to her first two albums before her new one, just so you kinda know what to expect.

Not sure what to make of it yet. 3 lps in one album is alot to get through...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Ys was definitely in my top five best albums of the last decade, so I'm really looking forward to this.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Pfft, i'd suggest listening to her first two albums before her new one, just so you kinda know what to expect.

Not sure what to make of it yet. 3 lps in one album is alot to get through...
    Will do Lordgoat. which songs would you recommend.

I'd recommend the albums, start with the first one(milk eyed mender) and move on from there (Ys etc)... I think everyone has different favourite songs of hers, mine would be Clam Crab Cockle Cowrie...

Mine would probably be The Book Of Right-On. If I had to pick one like.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Listening to Have One On Me for the first time at the moment. Speaking as a complete Joanna Newsom newbie, i'm really enjoying it. Its certainly making lovely Sunday evening listening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have listened to all of it now, and first impressions are extremely positive. It will take more listens to untangle fully, but 'tis as good as I hoped, and the quality is definitely maintained over the running time. Favourite so far is Good Intentions Paving Co. (which I had been loving since they were streaming it on Drag City anyway), but Easy, Have One On Me, Esme, In California and Kingfisher are others that have popped out as highlights. Again, more listens required.

Also loving the return to some piano led compositions. As a big fan of Inflamatory Writ from Milk Eyed Mender, that is a very welcome development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've only listened to the album once in it's entirety. I've just focused on Disc 1 which I adore already.

I find it a really nice blend between Y's and MEM.

Keep coming back to this, have set my mind on buying the vinyl pack as soon as possible. Spent an hour reading the lyrics while listening to it with friends last night and I honestly think it might be the finest collection of lyrics written in recent memory, probably since Dylan at his peak, better, indeed, in many ways. There are endless examples of sheer poetic ability on all three disks. I think the way she has focused since Ys is astounding, I believe she as stepped up her lyric writing (which have always been fascinating) and brought it to the next level of intensity, craftsmanship and beauty.

Really, I can't gather coherent thoughts on the brilliance of it yet, I need to distance myself a little, I could fly from example to example all night. But I will just finish with one quote, the last four lines on the album, a story told in just those lines. Her ability to capture mood, setting and narrative in so few words really, to me, shows the hand of a master. From Does Not Suffice:

The tap of hangers swaying in the closet--
    unburdened hooks and empty drawers--
    and everywhere I tried to love you
    is yours again, and only yours.

Keep coming back to this, have set my mind on buying the vinyl pack as soon as possible. Spent an hour reading the lyrics while listening to it with friends last night and I honestly think it might be the finest collection of lyrics written in recent memory, probably since Dylan at his peak, better, indeed, in many ways. There are endless examples of sheer poetic ability on all three disks. I think the way she has focused since Ys is astounding, I believe she as stepped up her lyric writing (which have always been fascinating) and brought it to the next level of intensity, craftsmanship and beauty.

Really, I can't gather coherent thoughts on the brilliance of it yet, I need to distance myself a little, I could fly from example to example all night. But I will just finish with one quote, the last four lines on the album, a story told in just those lines. Her ability to capture mood, setting and narrative in so few words really, to me, shows the hand of a master. From Does Not Suffice:

The tap of hangers swaying in the closet--
    unburdened hooks and empty drawers--
    and everywhere I tried to love you
    is yours again, and only yours.

good point on the lyrics i think she has always had a great way with words. (Your skin is something that i stir into my tea / i am blue and unwell stopped me when i heard them first) But this album it's liek she has combined great lyrcs throughout all of her songs making it hard to take single lines as if you do you somehow lose the overall message.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Great performance of Soft as Chalk on Jimmy Fallon. Love the facial expressions :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0PfHemuvs

Great performance, the faces are funny alright! Wonder who she was nodding to?

Heh she is totally into that (fantastic) performance alright :) Yet another firm reminder that youtube comments are better left ignored ("she looks and sings like an old lady" - erm.. no).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rabbit_Heart

Only discovered her recently enough and have to say love her already, Have One On Me is an amazing album so far....

and by the way long time boards lingerer, first time poster so be nice ;)

Only discovered her recently enough and have to say love her already, Have One On Me is an amazing album so far....

and by the way long time boards lingerer, first time poster so be nice ;)

Welcome aboard! your day now has less time in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

Joanna Newsom is great! I discovered her by accident on Jools Holland a few years ago. Don't listen to her often enough, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

For myself listening to Joanna Newsom's music is notably joyful and affecting. It was kind of funny as a thirty year old buying the new album the soonest instant it was available, having not anticipated music in that way since I was a teenager rushing home to listen to The Bends or Mellon Collie.

I've never used the word genius to describe anyone alive and working except Joanna Newson. I don't know how anyone could listen to Only Skin or Sadie or Monkey & Bear or Easy and not feel something special, real genius going on. She's terribly special.

Personally I tend not to gush basically ever but I don't get why she's not just drowned in adulation. Musically, vocally and especially lyrically her songs are just astonishing. Simply a genius in the real sense of the word.

Advertisement