Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Korean Language Resources

• 12-09-2004 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

http://langintro.com/kintro/

Step-by-step introduction to the basics of Korean. Contains sound embedded so you can listen and repeat what's being taught. Brilliant learning guide.

http://www.interedu.go.kr/indexe.html

Nice site set up by KOSNET. Requires registration(free) but worth it.
    Fairly slow site, though, takes ages to load up the pages. You can download the coursework, though, which makes up for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_language

Wikipedia's entry on Korean, contains a lot of useful information, and a list of links to places where you can learn the language.

[edit from Hobbes]
    Thanks Lantis. For new posters, any off topic posts to this thread will be moved to a seperate thread. Try to keep this thread clean. ^^

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Some books and whatnot.

Elementry Korean. This book comes with a CD to help with self study. Quite a good book.

College Korean. The book is good if you are learning in a class, but for self study it is not that good. You have to buy the teacher tapes seperately.

Declan Software. A range of tools related to learning Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

thanks for the links guys...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

Lesson 1 Lesson 6
    Lesson 2 Lesson 7
    Lesson 3 Lesson 8
    Lesson 4 Lesson 9
    Lesson 5 Lesson 10

Lesson 11 Lesson 16
    Lesson 12 Lesson 17
    Lesson 13 Lesson 18
    Lesson 14 Lesson 19
    Lesson 15 Lesson 20

Lesson 21 Lesson 26
    Lesson 22 Lesson 27
    Lesson 23 Lesson 28
    Lesson 24 Lesson 29
    Lesson 25 Lesson 30

http://media.korea.net/movie/hangeul_e.wmv

Korean admire King Sejong who made Hangul in Joesun Dynasty, the past country of Kiorea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

frany wrote: »
    http://media.korea.net/movie/hangeul_e.wmv

Korean admire King Sejong who made Hangul in Joesun Dynasty, the past country of Kiorea.

To be honest a lot of people are thinking about that these days. He had over 1000 concubines when he was king. With all those women how did he have time to write down the language! :P

More than likely he ordered for it too be done and other scholars did it for him. Rarely does a king so these things. But still he got the language written eventhough Koreans still wrote everything in Chinese until the 1980s. Nowadays loads of non-Koreans in Korea are complaining that there isn't enough English signs and information for tourists and workers in Korea. Wonder what the new President is going to do about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fs3kim

HI~I'm Kim from SouthKorea.
    I live in Seoul. Let me ask u someting.
    I can find many Irish peolple who want to learn Korean here.(Actually Seoul)
    But, If I go to Ireland, could I find Irish person who wants to learn Korean there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

fs3kim wrote: »
    But, If I go to Ireland, could I find Irish person who wants to learn Korean there?

I imagine that there would be some people who would like to learn Korean before they came to Korea or even some Korean families who want their kids to learn because they are too busy working.

However I don't know how you would connect with them in Korea. In Ireland it would be easier to put up notices or post on some websites. I'm sure that you could find some students!

님은 외국인에게 한국어 가르치는 한국어 선생님인가요?^^
    Are you a teacher who teaches Korean for foreigners?:)

여기 어떻게 알고 찾아오셨나요?
    How did you get to here from Seoul?

이 아이리쉬 인터넷 게시판이 아직은 한국에는 잘 알려져 있지 않을텐데..
    This Boards.ie is not that famous in Korea yet I guess...

하여간 만나서 반갑습니다.
    Anyway, nice to see you.

저는 더블린에 살고 있는 한국인입니다.
    I'm a Korean living in Dublin.

Probably, N.Korean? hahaha!

My English translation might not be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fs3kim

this is mine~ http://-thisisismyname.bebo.com

한국말이 보이나요??
    크..제가 이 게시판을 어찌 알았냐면.(사실..님 글도 많이 보고~
    '아~ 옜날부터 한국인이 그곳에 있긴 있었구나~' 했죠.ㅋ 요리에 대해서도 쓰시고
    한글에 대해서도 쓰시고 한국을 알리시는 것 같아서 보기 좋았어요.저도 외국에
    있으면 한국의 좋은 문화를 마구마구 알려주고 싶더라고요)

저는 아일랜드에 매료 되어서 3월에 시작되는 마지막 학기를 마치고 다시
    그곳으로 도전하려고 요즘 마구 준비를 하고 있답니다. 에이 씨씨 에이
    이거 준비하면..그곳에서 정착,취업,이민 까지 잘 될 것 같아서요..그리고
    연봉도 높다 그러고..저는 사회 나가기 일보직전인데 정말 한국 사회와 문화에는
    아닌 것 같아요. Butlers chocolate cafe아시죠? 저 거기서도 일했는데 ㅋ

다행히 그곳에 있을때 DCM(Dublin Central Mission)여기 인터내셔널 교회인데 거기서 아이시리 목사님 가정과 친하게 지내서 현지 생활에 더더욱 매료 된것 같아요~
    요즘 비젼과 목표를 찾느라~ 하루에 인터넷을 8시간씩 하다보니 이렇게 현지 게시판까지 침투하게 되었지요.ㅋ. 저는 3월에 개강을 하지요. 6월 말쯤 학기는 끝날 겁니다.
    목표는 6.30일 아일랜드행 비향기를 타는거지요. 그 전까지. 계속 솔루션을
    찾는 중이랍니다.ㅋ

여기서 지금 아이시리 사람과 영어교환을 하고 있어요(Seoul) 그 외에 제가 한 4~5명은 서울에서 했던 것 같아요. 근데 나름 재미있어서 그 곳에서도 어찌 이어갈 수 없을까~ 하는 그런 소망?ㅋㅋ 저는 Galway 가서 공부하고 싶네요..왜냐면 Dublin도 저에겐 너무 복잡한듯-_-. Galway엔 Butlers chocolate cafe도 있어서 파트타임도 잘 될 것 같고 ㅎㅎ(ps. Do I hav to write in ENG also?)

이거영어로도써야하나-_- 안그럼 짤리나-_-. 여튼 전 그곳에서 결혼도 하고 싶답니다~ 기회되시면 더 쓰고 싶지만 이거 여기 게시판 왜케 눈치 보이지-_-영어 아니어서
    그럼 또 남기겠습니디ㅏ~ 반갑네요~ *^^*

this is mine~ http://-thisisismyname.bebo.com

한국말이 보이나요??
    크..제가 이 게시판을 어찌 알았냐면.(사실..님 글도 많이 보고~
    '아~ 옜날부터 한국인이 그곳에 있긴 있었구나~' 했죠.ㅋ 요리에 대해서도 쓰시고
    한글에 대해서도 쓰시고 한국을 알리시는 것 같아서 보기 좋았어요.저도 외국에
    있으면 한국의 좋은 문화를 마구마구 알려주고 싶더라고요)

저는 아일랜드에 매료 되어서 3월에 시작되는 마지막 학기를 마치고 다시
    그곳으로 도전하려고 요즘 마구 준비를 하고 있답니다. 에이 씨씨 에이
    이거 준비하면..그곳에서 정착,취업,이민 까지 잘 될 것 같아서요..그리고
    연봉도 높다 그러고..저는 사회 나가기 일보직전인데 정말 한국 사회와 문화에는
    아닌 것 같아요. Butlers chocolate cafe아시죠? 저 거기서도 일했는데 ㅋ

다행히 그곳에 있을때 DCM(Dublin Central Mission)여기 인터내셔널 교회인데 거기서 아이시리 목사님 가정과 친하게 지내서 현지 생활에 더더욱 매료 된것 같아요~
    요즘 비젼과 목표를 찾느라~ 하루에 인터넷을 8시간씩 하다보니 이렇게 현지 게시판까지 침투하게 되었지요.ㅋ. 저는 3월에 개강을 하지요. 6월 말쯤 학기는 끝날 겁니다.
    목표는 6.30일 아일랜드행 비향기를 타는거지요. 그 전까지. 계속 솔루션을
    찾는 중이랍니다.ㅋ

여기서 지금 아이시리 사람과 영어교환을 하고 있어요(Seoul) 그 외에 제가 한 4~5명은 서울에서 했던 것 같아요. 근데 나름 재미있어서 그 곳에서도 어찌 이어갈 수 없을까~ 하는 그런 소망?ㅋㅋ 저는 Galway 가서 공부하고 싶네요..왜냐면 Dublin도 저에겐 너무 복잡한듯-_-. Galway엔 Butlers chocolate cafe도 있어서 파트타임도 잘 될 것 같고 ㅎㅎ(ps. Do I hav to write in ENG also?)

이거영어로도써야하나-_- 안그럼 짤리나-_-. 여튼 전 그곳에서 결혼도 하고 싶답니다~ 기회되시면 더 쓰고 싶지만 이거 여기 게시판 왜케 눈치 보이지-_-영어 아니어서
    그럼 또 남기겠습니디ㅏ~ 반갑네요~ *^^*

님도 얼마나 반가우셨으면 이렇게나 꽤 장문의 답장을..^^
    How happy you are with finding a Korean on Irish Internet Community Board to give me a long reply.

이 모든 문장을 영어로 다 쓸 수 있다면야..하하하..사실 저도 영어 잘 못해요.
    Hahaha...I wish I could write these all sentences in English.
    I'm not that good at English either.

여기에서 결혼을 하신다면 확실한 이민이 될 수 있을거에요.
    You would be an Irish that you want if you marry to an Irish woman with love.

아일랜드에 계셨을때 교통 때문에 많이 불편한적은 없으셨나요?
    Was there any problem with the Irish transportation here while you were in Ireland before?

Buttler's chocolate cafe 본 적이 있어요. 아이리쉬 쵸콜렛 유명하지요^^
    I've seen Buttler's Chocolate Cafe occasionally in town.
    Irish chocolate is very famous.

아일랜드를 진심으로 사랑하는 분이라면 언제나 환영입니다.:)
    Anyone is always welcome who falls in love with Ireland and Irish culture.

Galway 참 좋은 곳이죠. 다만...한국 식품을 구하기가 아직은 좀 힘들거에요.
    Glway is a nice place to live in.
    But only the problem is that it's bit hard to get Korean food materials in Galway.

이 한국어 게시판은 유일하게 한글을 쓸 수 있도록 허용이 됩니다.
    I think you're permitted to write in Korean on this Korean board ONLY.

다만....한국에 관심 있는 다른 아이리쉬분들이 이해를 못하는게 좀 아쉽긴 하죠.
    It's just bit inconvenient that other Irish, who are very interested in Korea, won't be able to understand your Korean sentences.

그래서 제가 글 쓸때는 내맘대로 잉글리쉬라도 최대한 번역을 같이 해놓고 있어요.
    And that's why I always write in both language, Korean and English here although my English is the broken one(konglish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardom

I find this page useful when I am trying to see how phrases I have learned by ear are written properly in Hangul.

Its also useful when you are trying to pronounce difficult character combinations directly from written Hangul.

http://sori.org/hangul/conv2kr.cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

some great resources here, thanks.

http://www.learn-korean.net/forums.html

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Hi, wondering are there any actual Korean group classes available in Dublin? Thanks

zipzoc wrote: »
    Hi, wondering are there any actual Korean group classes available in Dublin? Thanks

I'm saying as a Korean.
    Do you want to exchange language?

I'm saying as a Korean.
    Do you want to exchange language?

Thanks Frany. Maybe that would be good. I'll get back to you.

Thanks Frany. Maybe that would be good. I'll get back to you.
    Maybe are you looking for a Korean group who is learning English or...
    the group who is very interested in Korean language as a foreign race?
    Actually, I'm a little bit confused :)

Maybe are you looking for a Korean group who is learning English or...
    the group who is very interested in Korean language as a foreign race?
    Actually, I'm a little bit confused :)

Hi Frany, I'm trying to learn Korean language from a book but would like to take a class. Maybe with other people.

Hi Frany, I'm trying to learn Korean language from a book but would like to take a class. Maybe with other people.
    Yes I know it's very hard to learn Korean from the textbook ONLY.
    But unfortunately, I can't find a Korean language class group anywhere in Ireland. Mian hamnida.

But if you want any language exchange between English and Korean,
    then probably you will get some Korean students studying English in Ireland.
    The Korean students are getting increased in Ireland to take an English class.
    Try to find some language schools in city centre.
    I heard there are many Korean students.

But please avoid the Koreans who are trying to teach you bad Korean words first, it means
    their personality is bad too. They have only bad ignoring words in their brain Korean dictionary.
    Trying to contact the good ones I hope.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I too am looking to get some tuition in Korean, but as I'm a complete newbie with no other language experience outside english I think I would be best off with an official tutor or school.

Does anyone know any tutor or school that teaches Koren in Dublin, Google was fruitless.

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    I too am looking to get some tuition in Korean, but as I'm a complete newbie with no other language experience outside english I think I would be best off with an official tutor or school.

Does anyone know any tutor or school that teaches Koren in Dublin, Google was fruitless.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Please let me know (by PM) if you find anything. Frany, thanks for your advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IIsoleeII

Yeah I was wondering about this aswell, my cousin was also interested to learn Korean, but its not easy to find class?? I am also interested,
    Despite we have Korean supermarket and restaurant and a bigger community I am suprised there is no class for it ? I think I saw some place in sandyford on internet, but its for business i think?

IIsoleeII wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering about this aswell, my cousin was also interested to learn Korean, but its not easy to find class?? I am also interested,
    Despite we have Korean supermarket and restaurant and a bigger community I am suprised there is no class for it ? I think I saw some place in sandyford on internet, but its for business i think?

If any Korean class was not in Ireland, how about making one for us for the first time?
    If you were interested in it, I can join this new Korean language group
    as a Korean native speaker even though I'm not good at English.

If any Korean class was not in Ireland, how about making one for us for the first time?
    If you were interested in it, I can join this new Korean language group
    as a Korean native speaker even though I'm not good at English.

Well if there would be enough people going to a Korean class I feel it is a good idea :)
    But there needs to be a place to conduct the class right?

IIsoleeII wrote: »
    Well if there would be enough people going to a Korean class I feel it is a good idea :)
    But there needs to be a place to conduct the class right?

Good idea. If we could find a teacher we could find a place to do it

Good idea. If we could find a teacher we could find a place to do it

I think so too, any ideas? Maybe there might be something on the notice boards in Hanyang, I saw some things there but Left in a hurry and forgot to check it.(I think one was taekwondo, but there was a lot other stuff there too)
    I know the owner there is really involved with the korean community cause he is involved with the Korean church here aswell I heard, so I should check next time i'm in :O

EDIT: is frany interested in teaching? lol

Nothing on the board in Han Yang. I guess I'll keep trying to learn from a book for now. Also I think this site is pretty good:

http://langintro.com/kintro/index.htm

Thanks again Frany for your help.

Nothing on the board in Han Yang. I guess I'll keep trying to learn from a book for now. Also I think this site is pretty good:

http://langintro.com/kintro/index.htm

Thanks again Frany for your help.

I started korean lessons in the city, there is a girl teaching, but the lesson is more of private class.
    she has a ad on gumtree!

is she good? maybe she could teach a small class? maybe I'll ask her

is she good? maybe she could teach a small class? maybe I'll ask her

Yeah she is great!!! I will ask her on friday can she teach bigger classes :D

• Advertisement

Hi, did you ask about bigger class?

Advertisement