Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joanna Newsom

Options
  • 12-01-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Just listened for the first time. Holy sh*t like. How am I only hearing this stuff now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

At least you've found her! She was album of the week not so long ago. I think she's amazing, what a voice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Glad to see another joinee of the cult of Newsom :)
    Probably the most remarkable new musician of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

*checks watch*

She's pretty incredible alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Even though I'm much just be repeating the sentiment I expressed in the thread John just linked to, it's worth repeating how fantastic Joanna Newsom is. Musically, vocally, arrangementally(?) and particularly, lyrically...

Seriously, some of her lyrics are really astoundingly good. I don't know if it's just the cleverness of the concept of 'Monkey & Bear' that makes the lyrics so good, but that song really sets a new lyrical standard for popular music IMO, both in the words themselves and the sheer power of the story and the themes. I know a lot of people consider her lyrics difficult, and they are certainly compact - circus animals are 'the overfed dead', the named and catalogued stars, meteors/oids/ites and planets are the 'rote universe' - and yeah, I guess they are, but they are like good poetry in the sense that they certainly reward attention.

More people should listen to Joanna Newsom. Also she's very pretty.

20061206joannaNewsom.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Even molluscs have weddings. She is better than everyone has said..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Kold wrote: »
    Just listened for the first time. Holy sh*t like. How am I only hearing this stuff now?

Pretty much exactly what I said to a friend of mine after listening to Ys for the first time. :D

Such a f*cking shame she's not more widely known (as shown by the lack of interest/posts in her album of the week thread).

I...um...hear she's fantastic live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

The Milkeyed Mender was one of my favourite albums of the last few years but I thought Ys was pretty tedious stuff at times, all composerly pretensions and stifling Disney-esque instrumentation.. Those songs worked much better in live performance with the 5-piece Balkan-folk styled band, in my opinion, though I still much prefer the minimalist charm of her first batch of tunes. Hope she drops the 'more is more' approach for next time around!

edit- Joanna's Nevada City pals Alela Diane and Mariee Sioux are well worth investigating if you like Newsom's style:

Alela Diane
    http://www.myspace.com/alelamusic

Mariee Sioux
    http://www.myspace.com/marieesioux

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Milk Eyed Mender is the one I've got my hands on. Reeks of awesomeness. After watching a few interviews, I'm intrigued, is she intelligent and very very quirky or intelligent and playing dumb?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Quirky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Wow I just opened my copy of The Wire this morning ..went to read the review of her new 3xCD Album , and this caught me eye :D

large.jpg?1264474164

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lucky ol' Bill Callahan. :)

AnonoBoy wrote: »

In so many ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

<3 everything about Joanna Newsome

Can't wait for the new album, and new live dates.

Ys was my favourite album of the last decade. Amazing stuff.

<3<3<3

I miss Kold!

DominoDub wrote: »
    Wow I just opened my copy of The Wire this morning ..went to read the review of her new 3xCD Album , and this caught me eye :D

large.jpg?1264474164

What issue of the wire was that? Also haven't seen any reviews of this at all yet as apparently she isn't giving any press copies to try and stop it leaking.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

lordgoat wrote: »
    I miss Kold!

So do I. He's supposed to be rating peoples top album lists over on the Music forum in one of the funniest threads in a long time. There's quite a backlog at this stage.

This Newsom one. Like the music and arrangement voice could get on the ol' nerves pretty quick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Her new music (one song a week at www.dragcity.com, and of course youtube) is just gorgeous. So far there has been '81 (reminiscent of Milk Eyed Mender stuff), Kingfisher (beautiful 9 minute epic that could easily have fit on Ys) and the highlight Good Intentions Paving Company (which suggests an entirely new direction). If the three songs so far are anything to go by, Have One on Me will be a gloriously varied affair.

Oh how I love Joanna Newsom, and would yelp in excitement if she announced a gig round these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

What issue of the wire was that? Also haven't seen any reviews of this at all yet as apparently she isn't giving any press copies to try and stop it leaking.

It is in the Current issue #313 (Mar 10)#

http://www.thewire.co.uk/issues/current/?show=full#print_description

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

:3

Kold wrote: »
    :3

Good to have you back i was getting worried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Lucky ol' Andy Samberg. :)

^^ Fixed.

I prefer Ys to MEM, though there are some absolute awesome on the latter too. Pre-ordered this down at Road, the 26th can't come fast enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cirkumflexjohn

Ys is definitely in my top ten...wait...top 5 albums of all time. she just blows me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I can't stand her. She sounds like a whiny four year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cirkumflexjohn

I can't stand her. She sounds like a whiny four year old.

ah some people love her, some dont. the way it is with a voice like hers.

i dont understand, my dad hates her voice, yet loves billy corgans voice.

Got me some amazing tickets for the second of her London dates in May earlier. Debating on getting some for the previous nights show now.

Looks like about 1/3 of the tickets remaining only and they are not even on general sale yet.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Got me some amazing tickets for the second of her London dates in May earlier. Debating on getting some for the previous nights show now.

Looks like about 1/3 of the tickets remaining only and they are not even on general sale yet.

Is she playing more than one gig. I only heard about the ATP gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Have to agree with neuro-praxis on this one. Dont like her voice at all.

Is she playing more than one gig. I only heard about the ATP gig?
    Royal Festival Hall
    Joanna Newsom
    with special guest Roy Harper

Tuesday 11 May 2010 - Wednesday 12 May 2010

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/music/gigs-contemporary/tickets/joanna-newsom-51993

tickets on sale to the general public tomorrow at 10.00

like i said earlier, probably 2/3 already gone to members, got me front row tickets for the tuesday gig

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Royal Festival Hall
    Joanna Newsom
    with special guest Roy Harper

Tuesday 11 May 2010 - Wednesday 12 May 2010

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/music/gigs-contemporary/tickets/joanna-newsom-51993

tickets on sale to the general public tomorrow at 10.00

like i said earlier, probably 2/3 already gone to members, got me front row tickets for the tuesday gig

balls if i'd known she was playing have went along!

Had front row seats for her in glasgow a couple of years ago! Tis amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭silver_surfer

She gave him the heave ho I think. Anyone know if she's hitting dublin in may?

Advertisement