Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

Surely it would make more sense to include Oilgate at the end of the Enniscorthy Bypass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

KevR wrote: »
    Sweetman has some neck! :mad:

There is a huge chance of lives being lost as a result of him delaying these road projects. He will have blood on his hands and so will the courts for entertaining his objecting bullshit.

The state should prosecute him for wasting the state's time and money with his frivolous objections. I don't understand why one person is being allowed to cause this much disruption and delay important infrastucture which will save lives and boost economic activity.

...yeah, public juries should be used for people like Sweetman - IMO, the state should be allowed call public inquiries into matters where small groups or individuals are acting to the detriment of many others - if such people are found to be acting in an unreasonable manner (regardless of any legal technicality), then they should be penalised heavily - maybe the state should then sue and effectively foreclose on such people.

That might put some manners on them! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

tertials wrote: »
    Surely it would make more sense to include Oilgate at the end of the Enniscorthy Bypass...

Perhaps it was felt that it would restrict the number of options for the route of the N11/N25 to Rosslare/Wexford in the future if they brought this section of the motorway too far South? Its a long way off, but it'll be interesting to see the proposed routes of a N11 DC/MW south of this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hopefully no further :D The M11 is easily long enough (without Enniscorthy as well even). At least until the M20 and a pile of other, far more deserving schemes, are done.

I still cant conceive how/why this section was bumped up the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I still cant conceive how/why this section was bumped up the list.

Because .....back in the mists of time circa 1990.....a continous dual carriageway was promised by FF from Larne to Rosslare. That was long before the M6 or M7 were promised.

However life has moved on and this grand project can terminate south of Enniscorthy for quite some considerable time while many more important projects are progressed.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Because .....back in the mists of time circa 1990.....a continous dual carriageway was promised by FF from Larne to Rosslare. That was long before the M6 or M7 were promised.

However life has moved on and this grand project can terminate south of Enniscorthy for quite some considerable time while many more important projects are progressed.

Also it was originally planned the main Waterford motorway would be via the N11

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Ah yes, I remember in the 80s, as we struggled through the interminable traffic in Bray, Shankill, Newtownmountkennedy and the others, my Dad turning to the fed-up family and saying "Yes it's bad, but it'll be dual carriageway all the way to Rosslare by 2000".

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

jd wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted before

105337.jpg

That N30 link road is a serious contender for crappest designed road in Ireland. You'd be bleedin quicker going through Enniscorthy!

Make it straight, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

The link road doesnt look direct on a map but its important for it to link up at Clavass roundabout, i think the overall design is very sensible.

Roryhy wrote: »
    its important for it to link up at Clavass roundabout

why?

• Advertisement

Most traffic that will be using the N30 to New Ross will be coming from the N80 or on the N11,from the North. Looking at the junctions I can't see any benefit in going through Enniscorthy.

The reason would be the brief (i presume) they were given.
    1. To link the N80 to the new bypass- the most direct route being the one they used.
    2. To bypass the N30 around the town and link it to the motorway- it then made most sense to link up at the same roundabout.

The roundabout in question has only recently been constructed and was built to a high spec so its only a matter of putting one additional exit onto it and re-routing another(its not exactly clear in the map, they might potentially have 5 exits)

1. To link the N80 to the new bypass- the most direct route being the one they used.
    2. To bypass the N30 around the town and link it to the motorway- it then made most sense to link up at the same roundabout.

If you cut a straight path from Ballydawmore to Milehouse, it ticks all the same boxes, and you'd end up with a better bypass route around Enniscorthy.

D.L.R. wrote: »
    If you cut a straight path from Ballydawmore to Milehouse, it ticks all the same boxes, and you'd end up with a better bypass route around Enniscorthy.

True. This route may avoid knocking houses?...thats all i can think.

Have you noticed at Ballydawnmore junction, that the link road then continues alongside the motorway to link up with the R744 at Tomnafunshoge? In all the roads offer quite a substantial package to the town and will make one hell of a difference to traffic congestion in the area.

csd wrote: »
    Ah yes, I remember in the 80s, as we struggled through the interminable traffic in Bray, Shankill, Newtownmountkennedy and the others, my Dad turning to the fed-up family and saying "Yes it's bad, but it'll be dual carriageway all the way to Rosslare by 2000".

Thats right. It was supposed to be finished by 2000 (including the M50 ) and it won't be finished until 2020 earliest. Even if the 2 N11 schemes get to construction over the next 3 years there will be missing links between Belfast and Larne and between Enniscorthy and Rosslare. The Northerners have the finger out compared to our lot :(.

Having said that the promise was made in the era before cheap flights when Rosslare was strategically important as were the Airports and it is relatively less important now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Because .....back in the mists of time circa 1990.....a continous dual carriageway was promised by FF from Larne to Rosslare.
    So what? It's not like the gov have a good track record in keeping their promises!

Seriously though, there's no way you'll convince me that we need a dualler all the way to Rosslare. Maybe some widening of the existing road to improve sightlines, but that's about it.

Rosslare used be a big deal to Dubliners because of all the people getting ferries over to the UK and France, but who the hell does that nowadays? This is the era of the cheap flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

That A8 scheme will be a while coming, I'd say Rathnew-Arklow and the Enniscorthy Bypass M11 motorway schemes will be completed before this one. Furthermore the A8 scheme is a cheap job (think N4 Dromod-Roosky).
    So don't be so hard on yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

The Northerners have the finger out compared to our lot :(.

Indeed. However, the A8 improvements, if I recall correctly, are being partly-funded by the Irish exchequer.

/csd

csd wrote: »
    Indeed. However, the A8 improvements, if I recall correctly, are being partly-funded by the Irish exchequer.

/csd

They are. We promised the NI government our entire road budget from 2011 to 2015 a few bob (only UK£400 Million cash) for the Larne Belfast scheme and for the Derry-Strabane-Monaghan scheme too and of course the roads/public transport capital expenditure ratio are to be applied inclusive of this expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

More here, enter one Peter Sweetman. It is NOT that Sweetman has a case but that the High Court decision on the Galway Bypass will be appealed and that appeal will take longer than June when the CPOs expire.

By some miracle it could come back from Brussels before June and the CPOs can be exercised pronto.

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/news/fears-of-lengthy-delay-in-ross-bypass-project-2059308.html

Pretty sure that Sweetman's name litters the oral hearing transcripts of the M7/M8 PPP scheme and the Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme too. He must be a gas man altogether.

• Advertisement

As long as Gormley and his green 'advisors' haunt the DoE they will never do what they should do to him. There is a solution for serial wasters of court time. You declare them to be vexatious and frivolous and a waste of space.

They did this to Denis Riordan http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2001/1006/01100600017.html in 2006.

They did it to a rather Nutty Monaghan woman last year

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0720/1224250942623.html

The solution is called an Isaac Wunder Order, a declaration by the court that a particular serial litigant is a waste of court time and is constantly abusing the legal process.

But the department of the environment....his usual target....will not do that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

As long as Gormley and his green 'advisors' haunt the DoE they will never do what they should do to him. There is a solution for serial wasters of court time. You declare them to be vexatious and frivolous and a waste of space.

They did this to Denis Riordan http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2001/1006/01100600017.html in 2006.

They did it to a rather Nutty Monaghan woman last year

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0720/1224250942623.html

The solution is called an Isaac Wunder Order, a declaration by the court that a particular serial litigant is a waste of court time and is constantly abusing the legal process.

Interesting... you're a fountain of factoids Spongey!

Furet wrote: »
    Interesting... you're a fountain of factoids Spongey!

I shall simply refer to him as Isaac from now on, consider yourselves warned :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

He was my lecturer in college. Probably deserved what he got.

True. This route may avoid knocking houses?...thats all i can think.

Have you noticed at Ballydawnmore junction, that the link road then continues alongside the motorway to link up with the R744 at Tomnafunshoge? In all the roads offer quite a substantial package to the town and will make one hell of a difference to traffic congestion in the area.

I agree, but I'm not talking about the need for the scheme, I'm talking about its poor alignment. I think its actually two projects amalgamated, and the old part has obviously not been revised. That's what our planning system precludes - common sense and flexibility. Not a blade of grass has been touched yet, and they've already made a meal of it... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Since this is going ahead as a single project on the PPP process it may be worth starting a thread on it as the N/M11 updates one is getting too bundled up now. The NRA have announced a contract notice lately.
    Title: M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy PPP Contract

Published by: National Roads Authority

Publication Date: 11/02/2010

Application Deadline: 07/04/2010

Notice Deadline Date: 08/04/2010

Notice Deadline Time: 12:00

Notice Type: Contract Notice

Has Documents: Yes

Abstract: The M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy PPP Contract comprises the design, construction operation, maintenance and financing of approximately 26 kilometres of motorway/dual carraigeway forming part of the N11 national primary route, together with several kilometres of associated side roads and link roads.All such elements of work set out above are approximate only and may be reduced or added to by the Authority following dialogue with those Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the competition or otherwise at the Authority's absolute discretion. The Authority may also extend the operation and maintenance elements to include other parts of the national road network.Further information and details of the project can be obtained in the Information Memorandum and Pre-Qualification

Map of the scheme on the N11 thread

105337.jpg
    Overview of scheme: The Scheme will see the construction of three new roads:

M11/N11 Mainline: will connect the existing N11 in Clogh at the north, approximately 19km northeast of Enniscorthy, to the existing N11 in Scurlocksbush at the south, approximately 7km south of Enniscorthy

N80 Link road: will connect the existing N11 and existing N80 at Ballynahallin at its eastern end to the M11 Mainline in Ballydawmore to the west.

N30 Mainline: will connect the existing N11 and existing N80 in Clavass to the north to the existing N30 in Templescoby to the south.

Amount of land to be used: 460Ha

No. of farms affected: 109

Sites of archaeological, architectural or cultural heritage significance: 168

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Apparently the NRA are to meet on Tuesday to consider rebundling the New Ross and Enniscorthy bypasses as one contract again. This is in light of Peter Sweetmens failure in the High Court this week to stop the New Ross bypass.

Which I think is good news. Having been stuck in both towns various times, in my opinion New Ross is a far worse bottleneck and desperately needs a bypass.

Of course whether the bypass proposed is the optimum solution is an another debate altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They should re-bundle them, or else scrap Enniscorthy for the next 10 years and just build New Ross.

The N11 Enniscorthy tender may be pulled ( according to the NRA today) and the N25 New Ross Bypass is to be recoupled with it in a new tender to issue shortly. Or else the tender reply will be extended to synchronise with a New Ross tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The N11 Enniscorthy tender may be pulled ( according to the NRA today) and the N25 New Ross Bypass is to be recoupled with it in a new tender to issue shortly. Or else the tender reply will be extended to synchronise with a New Ross tender.

And what is your source?

Advertisement