Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 6: Chicken & Chorizo Rice Bake

• 08-02-2010 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Chicken and Chorizo Rice Bake

This is a really tasty dish. Economical and looks appetising too.

Serves 5:
    • 30g butter
    • 5 chicken breasts (preferably with skin on)
    • 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
    • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
    • 150g raw chorizo sausage, peeled and sliced
    • 150ml dry white wine
    • 2-3 cups of rice (enough for 5 people)
    • 600ml chicken stock (I use the knorr stock pots if I don't have any homemade stock left)
    • Small handful fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
    1. Add a decent splash of olive oil and half the butter to the pot and get it up to a moderate heat. Put the chicken breasts in, skin down first, and cook for a few minutes until the skin is nicely crisp and browned.

DgmhZl.jpg
    2. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
    3. Turn down the heat, add the rest of the butter, the onion and garlic and fry for a few mins til soft and transfer to the plate.
    4. Add 100g of the Chorizo and let it crisp up a bit. Eat some of the chorizo now because it's gorgeous. You want the fat to melt out and then add the rice and stir it all so the rice is well coated.

s9NUEl.jpg

RfS2nl.jpg
      (As you can see, I overdid the chorizo a bit here. It doesn't matter though. It's still gorgeous. This is a forgiving dish).
    5. Add the wine and chicken stock and onions and stir it around a bit. Then place the chicken breasts on top and scatter the remaining Chorizo on top.
    6. Put the lid on and leave in the oven for 35-40 mins.
    7. Roughly chop the parsley and scatter over and place the pot directly on the table to serve.

9RMLzl.jpg

Notes:
    1. SuperValu have the chicken breasts on special at the mo for €7 and the Chorizo is about €2.50. So you're getting a really tasty meal for just over €2 per head.
    2. The parsley isn't essential but it's a nice touch. If you don't already have a parsley plant Superquin have a range of potted herbs, two for €5. Get one and and a Mint plant and treat yourself to a Mojito afterwards ;).
    3. If you want to make this for more people just use a pan and transfer the ingredients into a large baking tray as you go then cover it with foil before putting in the oven.
    4. This reheats nicely in the micro. Cover bowl with cling film and jab a little hole in it. The steam keeps it nice and moist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

That looks very good, easy and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This looks delicious. I'll definitely give it a go this week. Although, I'm about 3 weeks behind at this stage. :( But I'm sure I'll catch up this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh I can already vouch for this one, it's great - I make it quite regularly! Must do another one this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I've made this before and it is yum. I actually don't bother putting in the chicken sometimes and just have the rice. I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Thanks, fellers. It's hard to know what to do, once the time comes!!

I'd a few other ideas but some of the ingredients might have been difficult to obtain or else mightn't be to many people's taste (e.g. mussels) plus everyone seems to have been keeping it fairly simple so far. Maybe they'll get a bit more complex as time goes on. I know some people requested that things be kept within a budget too so this un is a tip of the cap to that too.

Anyway, hope it's not too simple or commonplace and you enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Not fair!!!! :p This is the recipe I was going to do as it is a firm favourite in this house!!! Your pics are good though, looks lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That looks yum. I'll definitely give this a go this week.

I have a meat eating friend coming for lunch this weekend.
    This will do nicely. :)
    What grain of rice do you use?

Just had this tonight. It was delish. Very savoury and tasty. Scaled it down to 3 breasts though, so that's lunch sorted tomorrow. :)

104720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Ack, tried this and after 40 mins~ the rice still hasn't finished cooking, leaving it in for longer now...

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I have a meat eating friend coming for lunch this weekend.
    This will do nicely. :)
    What grain of rice do you use?

Long grain but I've used basamti before and it was lovely too.

Hope your friend likes it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i like the look of this- will definitely making this

hmmm, now vegetarian chorizo - i wonder would hotdogs work instead?

irishbird wrote: »
    i like the look of this- will definitely making this

hmmm, now vegetarian chorizo - i wonder would hotdogs work instead?

I found this recipe.

http://www.phamfatale.com/id_165/title_Homemade-Vegetarian-Soy-Chorizo/

Adding the spice mix to your rice would probably work, you use the hotdogs for texture.

I saw Xanthum gum in the tesco spice section today.

Or Maybe you could just add chopped peppedew's for heat.

I actually have no idea what chorizo tastes like.

Did you ever try the redwood veggie deli sage and margoram sausages.
    They are savage altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

When initially browning the chicken, do you use the same pot on the hob or fry separately in a pan?

When initially browning the chicken, do you use the same pot on the hob or fry separately in a pan?
    Same pot. No point in losing all that flavour by using another pot! :)

Use the same pot and when they're browned transfer them to a plate ... then get your onion, garlic and chorizo in to the pot.

^^^^
    edit- yeah, what Bazmo said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

This looks yum and I have all the ingredients needed.
    Might try it on Thursday!

It's healthy enough isn't it? Would it be very high in fat?
    I'm counting ww points at the mo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't think I've ever seen 'raw' chorizo sausage, I'm sure the cooked one will be ok fried off?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I don't think I've ever seen 'raw' chorizo sausage, I'm sure the cooked one will be ok fried off?

I have never seen raw chorizo in any supermarket. As long as you don't use the pre-sliced packaged one but rather the ring of chorizo. I take the skin off before slicing but the OH doesn't, we haven't falled out yet over it!!!

Yeah I used the cooked one and tbh I didn't think you could actually get it raw. I thought by it's very nature it was cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

no you can get raw ones, its usually better to get the raw ones as the cooked ones can burn very quickly when your cooking with them
    Tescos used to sell the raw ones, cant seam to find it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've used the raw chorizo once. I got it in the market in Cork. They called it "fresh"!

But really, no difference in the flavour, just in cooking time. I prefer to get cooked, because it's a bit more versatile.

I had the recipe on a photocopied sheet and that's what it said... I always use this one: http://imgur.com/sLCIr.jpg and it's lovely. You can get it Dunnes or Supervalu.

I had the recipe on a photocopied sheet and that's what it said... I always use this one: http://imgur.com/sLCIr.jpg and it's lovely. You can get it Dunnes or Supervalu.
    That's the one I used. €1.99 in Dunnes. Used the left overs in Delia recipe last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Guys, am so not up on my wine. Was thinking about making this tonight, ok with everything bar the wine, could you all recommend a bottle or two, please?

I was actually going to mention this as a note in the recipe but forgot... I think Torres Vina Sol goes down an absolute treat with this (in fairness, I find most wines go down a treat with most meals, so you can take my wine advice with a pinch of salt).

It's a well known Spanish wine. You can get it most off-licences and supermarkets (Dunnes, SuperValu Super Q, O'Briens etc). Costs €8 - €10.

Seriously, it really does go well with it, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Thanks nice1franko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have this in the oven now, using a breast on the bone and some Pinot Grigio in the mix.

I got that Dunne's Chorizo this afternoon.

For the veggie, there's a quorn chicken breast style thing, and some veggie hot dogs instead of the chorizo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very tasty indeed.

Will be making this again, it's very easy to make.

Thanks nice1franko for a lovely dinner!

Pics from a camera phone, so not the best quality.

Real chicken and chorizo

DSC00062.jpg

Veggie option

DSC00063.jpg

Oh, I also threw a few mushrooms into the pots too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chorizo comes in lots of different varieties. There are two options of fresh' or 'dried', and within those two categories there are a plethora of varieties and recipes - just like with normal sausages. Fresh is a short-cured sausage that is meant to be cooked, and the dried version can be sliced up and eaten without cooking (though it's best served at room temperature). In the Spanish versions, the sausages made using large intestines are cured over months in a process that sometimes involves a heat source, and they're sliced and eaten without cooking. The versions made using the small intestine of the pig are cured for less time and are usually softer than the large sausages, and more commonly used for cooking.

Chorizo the world over is made from different meats, a range of ingredients, some are spicy, some are sweet. The fresh version will be in the deli counter, chilled section, if you can get it at all - the fresh spanish kind is chorizo fresco. The version sold in Ireland and England in the main supermarkets is mosty the dried version, like a salami, so it can be eaten with no cooking, and it's usually a spanish variety so it has that strong paprika flavour.

If you want to cook with chorizo, and you can't get the fresh kind for cooking, you need to find the softest, fattiest chorizo you can find - if you see a short, stubby chorizo sold in strings in the cold counter at your supermarket, buy a couple of links of that and use it. With the rock hard ones you find on the shelf, the fat cooks out very quickly, and you end up with pieces of highly spiced chewy leather in your finished dish. That's fine if you like that texture, because chorizo certainly adds an unmistakeable flavour to your dish.

The alternative is to use whatever ready-to-eat chorizo you can find and add it at the end of the dish so it doesn't turn to cardboard - but then you don't really get that specific chorizo flavour through your finished dish because it hasn't cooked in with the other flavours.

Advertisement