Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

engagement ring shopping in new york

Options
  • 21-01-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, Need a bit of advice, traveling to New York in Febuary with my girlfriend and planning on getting engaged (i hope), I also plan to buy the ring over there with my girlfriend, question is has anyone bought a ring over there on a budget of around $1300, has anyone any suggestions on where to go to get a good deal?

Any info would be really helpful!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

just a bit of advice you prob know already but if u get engaged over there and coming back ,g/f has the ring on. if customs ask you don't make the mistake of saying u got the ring over there...
    heard of that happening to someone they were so excited and stuff they just blurted in out and they ended up getting burnt by customs for the tax on the ring

sorry don't have any advice on buying the actual ring, but best of luck with the engagement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

A friend of mine did this. There is a diamond district in New york

He picked out the stone and the jeweler put it in the ring. Worked out much better than buying over here.

http://www.diamonddistrict.org/home.html
    The Diamond District is the world's largest shopping district for all sizes and shapes of diamonds and fine jewelry at tremendous prices and value. When you shop for diamonds and fine jewelry, this is the first and only place to shop- New York 's Diamond District.
    The United States is the world's largest consumer market for diamonds. Over 90 percent of the diamonds that enter this country go through New York City and most of them go through the Diamond District. More than 2,600 independent businesses are located in the Diamond District, and nearly all of them are related to diamonds or fine jewelry.
    Because the 47 th Street merchants are located so close to where jewelry is made and where diamonds are cut and traded, our jewelers can offer you a tremendous variety of precious goods, great values and industry expertise.
    The Diamond District is located on West 47 th Street between Fifth and the Avenue of the Americas ( Sixth Avenue ) in midtown Manhattan . We are within walking distance of many New York City attractions, one block south of Rockefeller Center, three blocks south of Radio City Music Hall (along the Avenue of the Americas) and three blocks south of St. Patrick's Cathedral (along Fifth Avenue). We are also just one block east of the Broadway Theater District.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Haniken's on 47th Street. It's a family run booth in a kind of jewellery market (hard to describe it!!), really good value and very popular with Irish couples so they told us. You can either pick an already-made ring or pick the stone and they'll set it for you. Can't say enough good things about them really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

Hi,
    Just wondering how the whole engagement went. Im heading to NY soon and i plan to do the exact same thing- a romantic proposal then let her pick out the ring. Could you give me any advice on shopping for the ring in the diamond district??? Im a bit lost at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

I am just back from NY. We did the usual - Tiffanys, DeBeers etc, total rip off. Had an amazing couple of days in the diamond district. Did our research into the 4cs and went armed with a list of jewellers to visit. First stop was Salvatores who seemed to be giving a great deal and were also v nice. But then we went to Hanikens who just blew us away. They were really professional, very nice and not pushy. We bought the diamond separately then the setting and the result was amazing. Not only is it the most beautiful ring I have ever seen but I can't tell you how amazing the price was. Of course we were unsure if we had bought a bona fide product that matched up with what they claimed it was - colour, carats, cut & clarity - and so we then took it to Macys for a valuation....it was like the antiques roadshow sitting there waiting for the result...anyway, the gemologist there said it was a gorgeous ring with brilliant workmanship and then valued it at double than what we paid. When we get our irish valuation I am sure it is going to be much much more on top of that. We would never have been able to afford that ring in Ireland and I honestly can't rate Hanikens highly enough. Plus the experience of visiting all the jewelers in the district was amazing - lots are desperate trying to get you to look at their stuff and lots try and rip you off but it is all part of the fun. Enjoy...I would love to do it all over again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

Congratulations im delighted to hear it all went great for yee. Did you pop the question before you went out or did you do it out there??? Im thinking of doing it maybe a day or two before we head out so we can plan a day or so in the diamond district. I checked out Hanikans website. It looks good thanks for that tip they will be top of the list. Im planning on going armed with about $4000 im hoping that will see something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

Thanks - actually I am the girl ... he popped the question before we went out there. It took Hanikens a couple of days to make up the ring so go there at the start of the holiday ... and make sure you ask for the Aer Lingus discount. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 poppylily

huge congrats. you bagged yourself a romantic one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

Thanks to everyone on this board for recommending Hanikens, eventually found it in the back of the store with all the other dealers.
    Everyone in the Haniken Family are a pleasure to deal with.

We got engaged in NYC about 3 weeks ago and bought the ring after checking the interwebs online back at the hotel..

Tiffanys are snobs, My Fiancee described it as the 'Pretty Woman' effect we weren't good enough for their store on the engagement ring floor anyway... Feckin Snobs, I'll give my 10k elsewhere so!!!

Really depressed us and we were going to wait to go back home before purchasing but thanks to this board we made a purchase and are delighted with it..

Hanikens were patient and we knew it was a good sign when we came in and there was already another Irish couple at the counter picking out rings...

Eventually picked out one, got size and fixture for stone brought down and adjusted overnight - girlfriend even got a second adjustment done the day we were leaving as it just was a bit uncomfortable the day after we bought it and no problem whatsoever.

On the last day, we did what the previous poster said, we hit Macys appraisel service.. Cost me $120 bucks but it was worth it for the piece of mind... Valued it at almost double the price that I paid.. real relief, real nerve wrecking while the stone and ring are being examined.

All in all, Hit Hanikens for your Diamonds guys you will not regret it and from the rings we were seeing, there is rings there for all budgets and tastes..

:D

jollygood wrote: »
    I am just back from NY. We did the usual - Tiffanys, DeBeers etc, total rip off. Had an amazing couple of days in the diamond district. Did our research into the 4cs and went armed with a list of jewellers to visit. First stop was Salvatores who seemed to be giving a great deal and were also v nice. But then we went to Hanikens who just blew us away. They were really professional, very nice and not pushy. We bought the diamond separately then the setting and the result was amazing. Not only is it the most beautiful ring I have ever seen but I can't tell you how amazing the price was. Of course we were unsure if we had bought a bona fide product that matched up with what they claimed it was - colour, carats, cut & clarity - and so we then took it to Macys for a valuation....it was like the antiques roadshow sitting there waiting for the result...anyway, the gemologist there said it was a gorgeous ring with brilliant workmanship and then valued it at double than what we paid. When we get our irish valuation I am sure it is going to be much much more on top of that. We would never have been able to afford that ring in Ireland and I honestly can't rate Hanikens highly enough. Plus the experience of visiting all the jewelers in the district was amazing - lots are desperate trying to get you to look at their stuff and lots try and rip you off but it is all part of the fun. Enjoy...I would love to do it all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

I can definitely recommend Haniken in New York.

Went over last week, and just got the ring appraised here.

Appraised at 100% more than we paid, at least 60% if you were go out and do your best bargaining to try and buy it here.

Also, bring cash for a better price, 5 - 10%

Post the certs etc. back to yourself just in case for customs. Post office on Canal Street, heading down Broadway, turn right at Canal and PO is a block or two up on the left at junction. Automated stamping machine at back, very easy. Duanes sell envelopes if your stuck, loads of them around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement