Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathbraughan park - rental prices

• 23-12-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi,

Ive seen a house for sale in rathbraughan park. Now I lived there as a student for years and it was grand then. Im wondering if the students still live out there given all the stuff built around the college in the last few years. Also, has rathbraughan become rough? and what is the typical rent being paid by students for 3 bed in rathbraughan now?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

you would be mad to live out there now, there are a whole host of apartments around the college, not to mention glencarraig, mulberry, ashbury etc are all closer to it and the pub.

Then there are all the apartments in town, there are too many of these lying idol at the minute, I would much rather live in town and be a 15 minute walk to the college than live in rathbraughan and be a 10 minute walk in.

I lived in rathbraughan in my second year, lived in fear of being robbed everytime I went back home for the weekend. Moved into town for my third and fourth year, best decision I ever made.

I wouldn't dream of buying a house in rathbraughan, they are of poor quality, been wrecked by students, are near nothing of great importance, too close to the estate across from it, and you will get robbed, it's just a matter of when, not if.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Was living in Rathbraughan for the first semester this year & I'm now moving out! Out house got robbed in the first of couple of days living there, I heard it was grand a few years ago but its as rough these days! I definitely wouldnt reccomend anyone to buy or rent there. In saying that, we are only paying between 40-50 euro a week not including bills, so if your willing to take the chance then go for it but if your buying for rental then dont do it cos your house may be idle for quite some time!

Hope this helps & best of luck :)

three or four people could share a 2/3 bedroom apartment in town for €50 or less a week. As I said before, don't live there, don't buy there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Rathbraughan is probably the roughest estate in Sligo, I would advise you to stay well away!

I presume you're considering buying to rent to students? It's likely you'd find it very difficult to find tenants, as there are so many student estates and apartments much closer to the college, and if students are willing to live a bit further away from college the majority of them will move closer towards town - not further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks everyone.

Those replies knock that idea on the head.
    Its just that I lived there for 4 of 5 years that I went to college there between 96 & 2001 and it was one of the better places then. At that time there was little housing around the college, mullberry was just build and no campus accomodation. Town prices were crazy too at that time. In the mean time the bus service started up making it much easier to get around so I was curious to know if it was still useful for students. Prices are very low but makes sense now.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

That's sad to hear about Rathbraughan. I used to live there when I was in college in the late 80's early 90's and paid £11 rent a week which included £1 towards the heating. It was a great place to live then.

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    That's sad to hear about Rathbraughan. I used to live there when I was in college in the late 80's early 90's and paid £11 rent a week which included £1 towards the heating. It was a great place to live then.

a tenner for rent.................old school!!!

I lived in rathbraughan in 2003-2004 I was paying €50 from what I remember. The lady who owned the house was very money hungry, she already had three other houses in the estate at the time and was telling me how she was in the process of buying another 2.

I asked her if she was worried about the number of places being built near the college (gateway was being built, clarion had stalled at the time, yeats was starting on it's last phase I think) and she said she could cover her mortgages by selling to students and sell the houses in 10 years and make a big profit.

These houses were going for over €290,000 at the time from what I remember.......I think she will be losing alot of sleep lately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Rathbraughan is probably the roughest estate in Sligo.

It's far from the roughest estate in Sligo believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Jeffrey Quiet Lip

Rathbraughan is probably the roughest estate in Sligo, I would advise you to stay well away!

cranmore?:p

Wouldnt live in Rathbraughan if rent was free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 star gold

Rathbraughan is defo not the roghest estate in Sligo, I lived there for many years and I actually worked in an estate agent in Sligo so i know where is rough and where is not. We lived in a quiet cul de sac in No. 51 and it was a great house with very good owner and agents who where always willing to meet our needs. I like this area it was close to college and the hospital and everyone keeps themselves to themselves. your not overlooked which was another bonus! if i move back to sligo i would def not hesitate about renting here again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

what about cartron op, i have a couple of friends who live out there never had a problem.There is a nice mix of students and mature settled residents on the bus route too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dudulaiki

Hi Folks,

am a mature student and am looking to share an accommodation. Now am 37 so I somehow don't have the same get up and go I use too, if any other mature students are also looking for a place and decide to move into a house a bit away from the city centre and need another to share the rent with I'm open to that.

ps: not rathbraughan please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Misty Midlands

Thanks for the info on Rathbraughan Park Sligo, I was thinking of buying a house there to live in, I live alone so I wouldn't buy there now as it seems like a bad area.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

I used to live in Ballytivnan which is right beside there..

And I can tell you now it's one of the dodgiest places in Sligo to date next to cranmore..

I used to live in Ballytivnan which is right beside there..

And I can tell you now it's one of the dodgiest places in Sligo to date next to cranmore..

Thanks TomJoe, it looks nice enough on street view but I wouldn't buy there now. Is it an ex-council estate? It would be unusual for a private estate to get so dodgy. Are there a lot of "people who drive new 4x4's and Transit vans"? !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It would have been a private estate that had a number of council estates built around it.

Also many of the houses were buy to let in the early years.

Just went downhill

It's a shame when that happens, perhaps it is because it is surrounded by council estates. It was a daft decision to build a private estate in the middle of council houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The private estate was built first in the middle of nowhere.

Just a factory opposite. (Abbotts)

As it looks like Rathbraughan Park wouldn't be a good place to buy a house to live in. Is the Old Bundoran Rd. a dodgy area as well? I am unable to afford an expensive house as I am a pensioner of limited means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smaug1

Hi Folks:-)

I'm thinking of buying a house on this street and I'm curious what is the reputation of this area today... is it still not safe? Does any of you still live there and can give me any comment in this matter? What about neighborhood?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement