Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things to do in Waterford when you're Sober.

• 04-11-2002 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I'm looking for stuff to do in Waterford that doesn't involve drinking or pubs. Anything, at all...

Even the bowling alley's closed down and there's only so much pool you can play before wanting to club everyone to death like so many baby seals.

Anyone know of interesting sports or martial arts clubs in the town ? Interesting; as in not being football, rugby, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Are you a student? If you are join up some of the sporty clubs like Tae-Kwando or Equestrian.
    Go swimming- they have good student deals in Waterford Crystal leisure centre.
    Go to the greyhound races in Kilcohan, cheap if you don't bet too much and it's a laugh. Horse-racing in Tramore, go to the driving range... cheap and also a laugh especially if you can't even hit the ball like me!!:)
    Go karting in Ballyhale, haven't tried it myself but it's suppposed to be good. Or try quadding!
    Go to a cybermart if you're into gaming, talk to Searrard about that. He'll set you up at a LAN or with a cheap computer.
    Don't really know after that, even though I've been here for 3 years!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

As a resident of Waterford for the last 18 years heres my full list of exciting to do throught-out the City :

Hmmm
    Ehm
    Ahhh!
    No

Play Scrabble???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Join the film club, the Waterford Historical Society, er Williamstown municiple golf course, what else, evening course in say photogrqphy...join the local an taisce facists (oops joke!).

Just a few notions.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Well there is eating, lazing around in cafes, etc.
    Good places:
    Haricots
    Brasserie
    Ginos (not the kiddie party venue anymore!)
    Luna (alright, but the furniture is **** and the staff likewise)
    Bia

Then there's expensive places...

But in fairness what would you do elsewhere. I'm in dublin at the moment and I can't do anything without getting on a bus for 30mins and then some for waiting for the damn thing.

The one thing (imho) that Waterford really lacks is a better/second cinema, though I see they've started something in garter lane...

merlante

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a student though so that rules some things out and I'm not the kind of person who finds sitting in Cafe Luna all day fun :)

The film society sounds cool though, I take it all I need to do is head along to Garter lane someday something's advertised and well, just turn up ? :)

I think Kalina has listed everything it's possible to do in Waterford, so NemesiS has it fairly spot on.

In conclusion, Geoffs it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Im from the place myself but based in Dublin for the last 4 years.. I have problems finding things to do there when Im home for the weekend..

Not exactly a place full of things to do apart from drink

Ahh well if so be it, then I guess that just what i'll have to do.. such a hard life and ya might even be lucky enuff to get change from a tenner after buying 2 drinks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

For a fun day out, go to Waterford Airport. I had the best laugh of my life there whilst waiting for a friend to fly in from the UK

It's teeny! Like a toy airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by dogs
    In conclusion, Geoffs it is.

Careful with furniture in Geoff's- most of it's seen better days!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Kalina
    Careful with furniture in Geoff's- most of it's seen better days!!:)

It was old when I frequented that place in the mid-80s!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

i usually get a job and go to work :p

seriously tho - garter lane is a pretty good place to start...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I hear smoking crack is pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

wow talk about a zombie thread:)

sorry for bringing back the dead here but same topic. is there anything at all to do in Waterford that is cheap and doesnt involve the need for a car to get there??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Icky Thump wrote: »
    wow talk about a zombie thread:)

sorry for bringing back the dead here but same topic. is there anything at all to do in Waterford that is cheap and doesnt involve the need for a car to get there??

Can get a bus to most places in Waterford? Bowling Alley is open along with a Cinema..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

Anything to do in waterford on a sunday which dosent cost much lol. Iv been here 3 yers now ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What can you do in Waterford when you're sober?

Get drunk. :D

SCNR

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Tip on down to the skatepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭leprechaun47

hey, is that go karting place in Ballyhale still open??

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

There's plenty to do in Waterford. It's probably easier for you to list your likes and people here tell you what you may find interesting in the City etc than just list out everything thats happening here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Drink paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Luke Creed

a fat guy wrote: »
    Drink paint?

Or varnish.. Buzzzz

• Advertisement
Advertisement