Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for biomed student.Ireland?Scotland?

• 29-12-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice. Am in my 3rd year of biomedical science and needing a paid summer job. Doesnt have to be much, just enough to survive. Have to listen all day every day to people telling me there is no hope, nothing out there. I try to look on the brighter side of things:)

Am thinking of looking into a lab aid job in scotland. Does anyone know how to go about it and what the prospects are? Have done some internet research and theres not much info.Wud appreciate any advice at all.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

I understand McDonalds is a good place to look :P

Best of luck getting a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

biomedgirl wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for some advice. Am in my 3rd year of biomedical science and needing a paid summer job. Doesnt have to be much, just enough to survive. Have to listen all day every day to people telling me there is no hope, nothing out there. I try to look on the brighter side of things:)

Am thinking of looking into a lab aid job in scotland. Does anyone know how to go about it and what the prospects are? Have done some internet research and theres not much info.Wud appreciate any advice at all.:)

Best thing is to speak to a load of people over the phone - don't email.

Get numbers for labs off the net. Ring hospitals too if that's what you're into. Might be a bit hard to get something paid though with the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Have you tried some of the smaller research type companies? A friend of mine got a 4 month placement in Biotrin last summer, and was told not so many had applied cause the company was so small comparatively (say to the likes of Wyeth etc). Or maybe try the private hospitals??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 biomedgirl

hmmmm phoning ok,could be quite expensive but i could do that,worth looking into. I know the pay is a must as i need to save for my final year. Never thought about the smaller research companies, my experience is specifically hospital based. I cud look up the phone directory and call a load of research companies...:confused::rolleyes::) thanks this is really helping. so much of this i have found is knowing somebody who knows someone-frustrating at times!

Some companies that develop blood testing products/immunoassays would be very keen to take on someone with hospital experience! Trinity Biotech would be one that springs to mind, I've seen it a few times where they've advertised for full-time bio-med positions, andthey've said hospital experience is preferential.

• Advertisement

yeh but im still a student, not fully qualified yet,still have one more year. have 7 months hospital experience. am i any use to these people or are they looking for someone with a degree?

biomedgirl wrote: »
    yeh but im still a student, not fully qualified yet,still have one more year. have 7 months hospital experience. am i any use to these people or are they looking for someone with a degree?

There's no harm trying them for an internship, they used to be very good about taking on students for paid placements, when I was in college, they took 5 out my class. That was in 2004 though, so obviously things may have changed a bit.

hmm i will definitely look into this. thanks so much :) very much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

When I was in 3rd biomed i was offer a job in vet lab but ended up going abroad instead, get onto your college profs etc, there is paid work in the universities over the summer as lab aids selection is based on results

Jessibelle wrote: »
    There's no harm trying them for an internship, they used to be very good about taking on students for paid placements, when I was in college, they took 5 out my class. That was in 2004 though, so obviously things may have changed a bit.
    Yeah things are quite different now, we've been told no one will be taken on- recessionary times and all that.

• Advertisement

liberal wrote: »
    When I was in 3rd biomed i was offer a job in vet lab but ended up going abroad instead, get onto your college profs etc, there is paid work in the universities over the summer as lab aids selection is based on results
    oh what country did you end up going to? For lab work yeh? Have emailed some lectures etc, waiting for them to get back to me-might be a while:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Any lab work is worth picking up, hospital or not. I got a parttime paid job in a water testing lab between fourth and fifth year, its better than nothing and my pippetting is well honed...

I fired off fifty cv's before getting that, and it was only twenty ish hours per week. As noted, try small companies that you've probably never heard of, they're less likely to have so many people applying.

Itd also be worthwhile investigating paid placements like the eureka programme. go look at the sfi webby.

Advertisement