Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He-man and the Masters of The Universe

• 29-12-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Do you think we will ever see another movie of this, back in the 80s this was as big if not bigger than Transformers. I prefered it anyway, had most of the figures and had castlegreyskucll and snake mountain

Here is a fake trailer that was made a while back by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zffk-Lw8cwE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Joel Silver is producing a version called Greyskull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Really liked it in the 80's but I honestly hope that they don't make another film based on it.

I'm getting really sick of the re-hashing of ideas, or the using of brand names which people are familiar with (like Transformers) to make crappy movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

There was a movie made of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

There was a movie made of it

Thats why I said Another

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The original was perfect. I see no need for a remake.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I bet it'll be another "300" type clone, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Lets just keep Michael Bay away from it and everything will be allllright :)

But i agree with Galva, original movie is great and they should perhaps do a Mask crusaders or Brave star film instead... Lets also keep Bay away from these ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If the fan written script of Greyskull is anything to go by it could be a massive fantasy franchise, it took away all the campy stuff and rewrote the mythology of Eternia brilliantly, going into the origins of Castle Greyskull, He-Mans father and how Skeletor becomes who he is, the 2002 revamp of the cartoon was hugely ignored on its release, such a pity it got cancelled, great animation for a kids show too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's hard to get away from the cheesy tag though.

krudler wrote: »
    If the fan written script of Greyskull is anything to go by it could be a massive fantasy franchise, it took away all the campy stuff and rewrote the mythology of Eternia brilliantly, going into the origins of Castle Greyskull, He-Mans father and how Skeletor becomes who he is, the 2002 revamp of the cartoon was hugely ignored on its release, such a pity it got cancelled, great animation for a kids show too

The 2002 revamp did all the things you mentioned did all of the things you say were in the fan written script. Perhaps that was it's downfall. Everybody knows He-man to be very campy and fairly farcicle. I'm guessing people just werent ready for a serious He-man.

fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/mastuniv1765wa.jpg

Sums up what was wrong with Masters of the Universe, yeah He-Man is camp, but that's a whole new level. This is what I want to see;

skeletorpf.jpg

Badass.

LZ5by5 wrote: »

So camp that they decided to rip it off in the Phantom Menace. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jeff Wadlow (Kick-Ass 2 director) is reported to have signed on for Masters of the Universe while Terry Rossio (Pirates of the Caribbean) is working on the script for the movie
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A He-Man film would be hilarious

giphy.gif

The newer incarnation of the comic is pretty damn good and would be a decent source material for a new film. Just make sure that there's no scenes on Earth, a Gillian half as good as Langella's Skelator and a He-Man whose an adult and not a teenage boy in love with some girl that the film spends half the run time exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Something on the same level of production as Thor would be cool, and yeah no Earth scenes, just go all out on Eternia and go with the proper story. It's a pity the 80's film had its budget mangled as that's how it was meant to be

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

a He-Man whose an adult and not a teenage boy in love with some girl that the film spends half the run time exploring.
    Probably not going to happen, just about every superhero movie has been a romance film wrapped in some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they may not take the risk with the similarly panned John Carter of Mars fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

nix wrote: »
    Lets just keep Michael Bay away from it and everything will be allllright :)

But i agree with Galva, original movie is great and they should perhaps do a Mask crusaders or Brave star film instead... Lets also keep Bay away from these ;D

Ulysses 31 and just keep the intro music. In fact just play it the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Did I hear something on the radio today about this actually happening. Mattel to make a MOTU and a Barbie live action movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, they're going through with the Grayskull movie. No real definites about who's involved, I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

"oh Barbie!"
    "oh He-Man!"
    pulls off each others clothes
    together "oh shít!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

There's a David Goyer update..

From io9

https://www.google.es/url?q=https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-he-man-movie-just-got-a-new-writer-a-new-release-d-1794710676&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi2ua7Q5NLWAhXKJ5oKHbYIDTIQFghhMAw&usg=AOvVaw3teicird2ObHoJaOVHI4NU

Hollywood has been trying to channel the power of Grayskull for years now. Several filmmakers have attempted to bring He-Man and the Masters of the Universe back to the big screen, but nothing has stuck. Now, the latest incarnation has prolific superhero movie screenwriter David S. Goyer on board and a 2019 release date.

Sony announced that a new Masters of the Universe movie would be released Dec. 18, 2019. Entertainment Weekly then confirmed that McG, who was announced as the director of the film in early 2016, is no longer attached but Goyer (The Dark Knight, Blade, Man of Steel) is now writing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That article dates back to April, so I'm guessing there's no further movement on this ...
    Sony announced that a new Masters of the Universe movie would be released Dec. 18, 2019 [...]

Of course it's Sony :rolleyes: they'll keep reaching for that solid gold franchise if it kills them. I see they're also looking to revive the Men in Black series too, presumably out of the same continuing desperation for a shared universe of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Bring Christopher Nolan in get him to direct it and make it dark like his Batman films but not too dark. There should be some fun in it too and humour. Do a threequel would be great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

The newer incarnation of the comic is pretty damn good and would be a decent source material for a new film. Just make sure that there's no scenes on Earth, a Gillian half as good as Langella's Skelator and a He-Man whose an adult and not a teenage boy in love with some girl that the film spends half the run time exploring.

Dolph lungren is as manly as it gets

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/masters-of-the-universe-reboot/

Anyone who grew up in the ’80s probably had a He-Man action figure, or at least knew someone who did. Toys for Masters of the Universe were just as ubiquitous as Barbies or G.I. Joes, and there’s no doubt that Sony wants to mine some of that nostalgia.

According to Variety, the studio has tapped legendary Men in Black: International writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway to pen the screenplay for its forthcoming reboot of the 1987 film with Mumblecore directors Adam and Aaron Nee attached.
    It’s admittedly an odd team given the IP, but they can only go up. Sure, the original film starring Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella remains a campy cult classic, but it was also panned by critics upon its release. Odds are Sony won’t want a redux of that.

As of now, it’s unclear whether they’ll be rewriting David S. Goyer’s original script, who remains a producer. Goyer isn’t exactly known for comedy like Marcum and Holloway, so it’s likely they wanted to go in a more tongue-in-cheek direction.

It worked for Warner Bros., whose similarly fantastical Aquaman has shored up nearly a billion dollars for the studio. If Sony wants to do that, they’d be wise to try and conjure up some of that meta-comedy that made their Jump Street movies such a success.

Channing Tatum as He-Man anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭brevity

Alexander Skaarsgaard as he man.

• Advertisement

https://www.bbc.com/news/49392859

By the power of Grayskull! Clerks filmmaker Kevin Smith is teaming up with Netflix to revive the He-Man and Masters of the Universe series.

The early 80s animated franchise started life as a Mattel toy range inspired by the success of the Star Wars action figures.

It was later turned into a film starring Rocky actor Dolph Lundgren.

Last year, Netflix premiered She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, a spin-off praised for its LGBT representation.

"This is the Masters of the Universe story you always wanted to see as a kid!" Smith told the audience at the annual Power-Con convention in California at the weekend.

The series premise revolved around the conflict between heroic He-Man aka "the most powerful man in the universe" and the evil sorcerer Skeletor on the planet Eternia,

"I'm Eternia-ly grateful to Mattel TV and Netflix for entrusting me with not only the secrets of Grayskull, but also their entire Universe," Smith added.

The new series, Masters of the Universe: Revelation, will apparently pick up where the original animated series left off and will use Japanese anime-style animation.

Smith will serve as showrunner and executive producer while Mattel Television will act as producers.

The 1987 movie, which also starred Frank Langella and a pre-Friends Courteney Cox, was a critical and commercial flop which failed to earn back its reported $22m budget.

Twenty-two-year-old actor Noah Centineo confirmed earlier this year that he has been cast as the musclebound hero in a live action remake of Masters of the Universe.

He told The Tonight Show's Jimmy Fallon: "It's quite an opportunity."

Advertisement