Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Year Resolutions

Options
  • 23-12-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

I know I said I wasn't going to open anymore threads....but I lied(and to be fair I was fairly locked, gettit, when I made that grand statement)

Here's one for the new year, I never stick to my resolutions but I always think that 'this year will be different'.

• Eat less.
    • Work harder in general, I want to be one of those productive people who other people admire for being so hardworking and dedicated.
    • Spend less time on boards.
    • Go to the gym more often.
    • Start reading properly again.
    • Learn the guitar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I like to be realistic.
    • Eat more.
    • Work less in general, I want to be one of those unproductive people who other people admire for being so lazy and not dedicated.
    • Spend more time on boards.
    • Go to the gym less often.
    • Start reading like a kid again.
    • Unlearn the guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

You're hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

• Finish the Dublin Marathon. I CAN DOOOO IT!
    • Keep up the good school work, and work even harder to keep going for medicine.
    • Keep the things I have going for me, going for me.
    • Eat more healthily.
    • Try and take all the lessons I've learned in my years, and remember not to make similar/same mistakes twice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

hunter164 wrote: »
    You're hilarious.

I thought it was pretty funny, in a clever way :)

Nobody ever keeps to their resolutions, right? So, if he makes a list of the opposites of what he really wants to do, then the things he does want might actually happen! :D

In which case, I echo everything in Stev_o said...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Not kid myself into thinking I could actually follow a resolution

/serious

If your actually going to make a change in your life do it now. Making changes just based on a number really makes no sense, if you want to see change you have to begin this minute or you'll never get round to it. If your goal is go to the gym more then go to the gym tomorrow! Get your changes into your routine now because come new years you won't be bothered and it will end up as one big cliche.

Stev_o wrote: »
    /serious

If your actually going to make a change in your life do it now. Making changes just based on a number really makes no sense, if you want to see change you have to begin this minute or you'll never get round to it. If your goal is go to the gym more then go to the gym tomorrow! Get your changes into your routine now because come new years you won't be bothered and it will end up as one big cliche.
    ...But it's Christmas and the roads are icy... :(

I can go jogging in spring/summer, but if you think I'm going jogging in this weather then you're kidding yourself mister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

/serious

Thanks Dr. Phil.:)

jumpguy wrote: »
    ...But it's Christmas and the roads are icy... :(

I can go jogging in spring/summer, but if you think I'm going jogging in this weather then you're kidding yourself mister!

That's why my family invested in a tread mill :p

If your looking for cardio work then you should see if you can get your hands on buying one of those breaks for bikes that keep it in place but let the back wheel spin, basically like having a cardio bike but without the huge cost (presuming here you have a bike).

Or go for a long walk (uphill if you can but i guess with this weather its unlikely)!

Stop looking for excuses! You'll never get round to doing what you want to do if you constantly use the words "if" and "but" :p

• Advertisement

That's why my family invested in a tread mill :p

If your looking for cardio work then you should see if you can get your hands on buying one of those breaks for bikes that keep it in place but let the back wheel spin, basically like having a cardio bike but without the huge cost (presuming here you have a bike).

Or go for a long walk (uphill if you can but i guess with this weather its unlikely)!

Stop looking for excuses! You'll never get round to doing what you want to do if you constantly use the words "if" and "but" :p
    Nah man I know what you mean. :) I always go into down-time in Winter, and I'll get nothing done in these conditions in Winter. I probably get enough exercise these days being up town freezing my asshole off anyway. House is too small for a treadmill, and when I go cycling I always borrow my friend's bikes cause my own is a ball of ****, frankly. I'll start again when the weather begins to improve, probably around February. I'll also want to get abit fitter before the football season starts again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

• Go to college more, and do a lot more study
    • Save more money
    • Get fit again
    • Learn Clair de Lune!

That's pretty much it. I don't want to set my goals too high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

• Spend more time in the college library, and actually learn stuff while there
    • Exercise at least 5 times a week
    • Spend less money
    • Be more committed when I start things
    • Get back into photography

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

• Take more photos
    • Don't leave everything untill the last minute in college, actually do work
    • Eat healthier
    • Try harder to get some form of job
    • Spend less time on my laptop
    • Walk my dog more often

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

• Work like mad to do well in the leaving and get into Trinity!
    • Learn how to drive, i've had a year and made no attempt so i will this year
    • Keep getting up early on a Saturday to do grinds (it's hard but important)
    • Do better in dancing and go to all the competitions I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

More goals than resolutions....

1) Beat last year's Leaving Cert by 135 points.
    2) Be a nicer person to people,and be less intimidating/more approachable.
    3) Say the things I need to say to people.
    4) Exercise more and eat less and stuff.
    5) Follow through on something.
    6) Say hi, smile and wave at every single person I see for a day.
    7) Improve my French and Irish.
    8) Stop caring about what people think.

:)

Oh, I'd also like to add that I want to be less arrogant. It's definitely my most awful attribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I have to stop moaning all the time! And go less on boards (its seriously taking over my life! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

-Get a tattoo that I've been planning lately.
    -Get something pierced (Not sure what, above the neck.......mind out of the gutter!)
    -Cycle to Galway (From Dublin, for Charity).
    -Get fit (Sorta ties in with the above).
    -If I dont start to like my course, drop out or persevere for the year and transfer into engineering.
    -Get better at Maths.
    -Cop the fúck on when it comes to college.
    -Read 50+ books.
    -Get a job for the summer that isnt working in the petrol station I work in, I'm not sure I could do it again this summer.....
    -Oxegen, drinking a lot more than last time.......
    -Learn HTML/CSS
    -Learn a new programming language that outside of whatever I'm doing in college.
    -Learn to solder, and start messing around with an Arduino or maybe build a pedal
    -Learn how to use Linux properly.
    -Figure out a way to move out.
    -Escape for part of the summer.
    -Learn Ride The Lightening (In full) on guitar (Love the guitar parts on that album, so brilliantly varied.
    -Learn more guitar/mandolin in general.
    -Stop pissing my money away so dramatically, save some!
    -Enjoy life, this year was almost entirely ****.

(There's more, that I'm keeping to myself and the list is being added to continually :( )

Do the 52 book challenge. I've my books picked out already, so bring it on. Oh yah, and stop messing around with college, I really have to start getting serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Fúck it I'm just gonna do things I enjoy
    • Read more
    • Drink more
    • Eat a whole lot more
    • Go to Oxegen
    • Work 3.56% harder in school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Dante

-Lose some fúcking weight
    -Go gym at least twice a week again
    -Try my hardest not to fail my second semester of college as badly as I did my first
    -Cut out all fast food and my unhealthy addiction to toast

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

• Pass 1st year
    • Get a job
    • Get fit again
    • Spend less on drink, but get out more
    • Moan less
    • Do the theory test
    • Learn the guitar, or find a band that's looking for a trombone player

The list gets less and less realistic/pertinent as you move down. The last three in particular are annual resolutions that I never keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I like posting New Year's resolutions, because once I've posted them it makes me feel more committed knowing that other peoploe know about them.

So for 2010 I will:

-Study each lecture the day it's given, and actually understand it
    -go to the gym 4/5 times a week, walk dog at weekends
    -stop buying lunch most days and actually make it the night before
    -spend my time more wisely, no more whopper Facebook marathon sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Watch every DvD I have
    Do this 52 Book challange I read here about
    Get into Primary Teaching in Mary I (fingers crossed)
    Drink less and spend less money on stuff
    save for the Summer
    Get a Summer job
    Study
    Go to bed earlier
    Finish The WestWing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

* Go to all my lectures
    * Go to all Union councils
    * Get a minimum of 400 people drunk on the college budget
    * Gain weight [16 stone,here I come]
    * Learn to do handstand pressups
    * Study long before exams start
    * Stop procrastinating
    * Stop being such a bollocks[not even joking]
    * Be happier
    * Stop being single,it's not even funny any more.
    *Live,love,survive until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

-spend less money when living away from home(amount of waste is crazy, wanna cut down bills/random self-spending)

-read some more

-finish college with an academic bang(do better!)

-if buy electronic drums...play them loads and become decent. If buy proper camera, become more active in things that offer chance to take loadsa pics.

Hopefully can do these small things, aminly wanan save money though a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

* Stop being a waster
    * Pass driving test (in 8 days... haven't driven much in months... weeble)
    * Try and make it to the gym once this semester. Just once. Let's be realistic.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    * Stop being a waster

I don't even know you and I know that's probably too much...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

1) Stop being such a feckin' mess.

Advertisement