Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So... When/how did you find out that Santy doesn't exist?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 4:15pm

Yes, I call him Santy, not Santa.

So, how and when did you find out he wasn't real?

I was 9 or so, and I was in our car with my sister and mother. We pulled up outside a shop, and both of them went in, but, when they got out, I saw that my mother locked the boot of the car. So, thanks to curiosity, and with some ingenuity, I saw that I could pull the back seats forward to look into the boot. Anyway, I saw a load of presents in there. Then, a few days later, on Christmas morning, I noticed that I got the exact same presents as I'd seen in the car: that was the time my heart broke!

So, how about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiGhTz OuT

What do you mean he doesnt exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Pretty much the same; saw that Santa's present matched up with something I'd seen in the boot weeks earlier. I wasn't all that devastated really. Didn't stop me playing along for a couple of years to get more presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

:eek:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

The year i asked for a Commodore 64 and i got a ZX Spectrum with the gun.. Strange thing was i knew this spectrum as it was my cousins...

Xmas hand-me-downs... A little piece of me died that day...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I got up really early when I was about 5 and the presents weren't there yet, so I went back to bed.

The next morning my friend (Who also happens to be my neighnour, both at home and in Dublin) told me his Santa presents had been there since about 3am. I was defo up later than that.

Why, I asked myself, did it take Santa so long to get from his house to my house? How would he make it the whole way around the world in a night if he was being a twat and taking massive big breaks like that?
    Then it clicked.

I was in Senior Infants at the time, I was just a babby.

So, I decided to tell my brother (Who's 2 years older than me) and many of my friends, who have still never forgiven me. I was THAT kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I went in the kitchen where my mother was one summers evening. I thn proceeded to exclaim "I know Santa isn't real :D" Then she replied, "You're right, he isn't"

My face went from this :D to :eek: to :(

I was only testing her, I was 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I was about 5 or 6 ans my best friend told me because she found out from her older brother. Thankfully I didn't believe her and then one Christmas morning(10ish i think?) i found price tags on my presents so i kind of copped on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I copped the 'made in China' stickers on things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

One year myself and my bro where getting Bikes of santa, found them in my aunties spare room about a month before christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The whole price tags and made in China thing, but I didn't want to believe it.
    Then I was 9 and on a tour in turkey and the guide said
    "This is where Saint Nicholaus was from, he gave presents to the poor, and when he died, parents around the world carried on the tradition as Santa."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Only this year, sure Santy can hardly fit a motorbike down the chimney....

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

this evening on boards

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

kateos2 wrote: »
    The whole price tags and made in China thing, but I didn't want to believe it.
    Then I was 9 and on a tour in turkey and the guide said
    "This is where Saint Nicholaus was from, he gave presents to the poor, and when he died, parents around the world carried on the tradition as Santa."
    Wow that must've been awkward with your parents :P.

Someone told me in school. I dunno when it was though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

When I was about 10/11 I began to get suspicious. Like why did Santa need barcodes on his presents? At 11 then my parents told me. But by then I'd pretty much known. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭knockane_ali09

i was 10 and it was febuary i was looking for a birthday card for my friend and i went to the filing cabinet(where we keep all the birthday and christmas cards )and there in a box in the bottom drawer was a bunch of reciepts on closer inspection i found one for my nintendo games and my sisters doll house......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

weren't we all very inquisitive children altogether eh!:p
    One lad came into class one day and announced it to the whole class, I never even thought of the tags or barcodes, it all just made sense in my head a the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Santry doesn't exist? But I was planning on doing some last minute shopping there tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I think it was the christmas before I turned 11.. I had basically known at that stage, but I was just so shocked after being formally told by my mother that he didnt exist! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

This bit*h in primary school was like "omg, santa isn't real, you baby.. neither is the tooth fairy!"
    I was actually gutted because that's when doubt finally came into my mind about it all.
    I wish I did believe in Santa again though. It's an amazing feeling waking up and finding that Rudolph ate your carrot and Santa actually drank the milk you left out for him. And the presents, oh the presents :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

santy isnt real?? WTF!! haha but on a serious note my brother slipped it to me :( was mayb 9 or ten!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 free gaff?

i wanted to find out he didn't exist. i'd always search for my presents, found them when i was 8, however i never really cared, im 16 and never even discussed it with my parents lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Started to figure it out myself over time, and finally had it confirmed by my mother on Christmas Eve when I was 12. Overheard her on the phone to my Dad, who had locked the presents in their room. She couldn't keep up the act after I gave her a list of 5 or 6 reasons why he couldn't be real! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

I think a group of us in school set out to find out was he real or not by looking around our houses for presents that Santy was ment to bring, we confirmed this the next day. Like a youthful version of Mythbusters! I think I was 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I really cant's remember how old I was, all I know is that one of my friends came in one morning and said she had something important to tell us in secret, so we formed an orderly queue. Don't think I was that surprised because I was beginning to question the logistics of the whole thing but still...
    It's an amazing feeling waking up and finding that Rudolph ate your carrot and Santa actually drank the milk you left out for him.
    Awww, I miss the magical feeling of opening the door to your front room at six o'clock on Christmas morning. And for some reason, realising that it was my dad eating those mince pies all along devastated me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 free gaff?

what makes it less exciting? u still get prezzies, only difference is for me at least a different fatman is putting those presents under the tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Craguls blurted it out in front of me recently. I was devastated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

phlegms wrote: »
    Craguls blurted it out in front of me recently. I was devastated :(

He's such a considerate, nice guy.

Did you know he feeds homeless kids?

Namlub wrote: »
    And for some reason, realising that it was my dad eating those mince pies all along devastated me :o
    i know how you feel you would wake up and see the food gone and you would think omg santy ate the mince pies I left for him and i would feel so special and then when you find out it gets ruined.

when i was little i used to leave cornflakes out for him beacuse i saw the cornflakes ad that said santy liked them:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Where did phlegms' post go? :pac:

• Advertisement

good question:confused:
    it was there after i made my above post its gone now

Advertisement