Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Castledermot to Kilcullen -when will it open?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

I notice all the new signs at Kilcullen have Ballyshannon on them. Where is Ballyshannon?- Its a townland that happens to have a school and a pub that opens at 7pm in its area,its not even a village like Calverstown or Narraghmore,there is not even a sign for it on the Athy road.

Ballyshannon is a townsland between Kilcullen and Athy.
    I think it has a pub there somewhere on the main road. Not sure if it is still open. Was a fine spot years ago for "courting" hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The Gish wrote: »
    I think it has a pub there somewhere on the main road. Not sure if it is still open. Was a fine spot years ago for "courting" hehehe
    is that the pub the politician was keeping the motorway closed for? never heard of ballyshannon myself and it is unlikely that the sign planners have either they just pick a point that looks interesting to them and send us all there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Villain wrote: »
    Just passed by kilcullen and 2 tractor and trailers parked on south side facing north3 Garda cars there is there a protest???
    speed trap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Anybody got any times already for Newlands to either Castledermot or Tinryland exits? just noticed that was only opened in last 30-40 mins so doubt anybody has timed it yet

If not can somebody report back later with some?

thread in infrastructure with confirmation the road is now open-> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63597024&postcount=1676

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The Gish wrote: »

Dowlings of Ballyshannon. Its on the left hand side a few miles outside kilcullen as you head towards Athy and looks more like an old 2 story house than a pub. Its that spot where the traffic boys like to park in and catch you for speed coming down the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

One of the lads just back timed kilcullen to tinryland at 20 min and that was keeping it within the speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

this is great news finally its open will sorten my commute home at weekends no end just wondering which is the best option i live on the graigue side of carlow would joining and exiting at the castledermot junction or tinryland junction be quickest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

lads if i'm headin to newbridge in morning can i get off at killcullen still and head over via the curragh? Or do i have to take naas and double back

@Rasco

they resurfaced the slip roads @Kilcullen so you can still take those as normal or alternatively depending on which side of Newbridge you heading could continue up to the Newbridge slip road where merlin auctions is located and head in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

New road rules saved me 10 mins from Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi All,

I've had conflicting reports - I'm from Dublin, living in Carlow - (how) will this new road affect/help me???

thanks tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

deaglan169 wrote: »
    this is great news finally its open will sorten my commute home at weekends no end just wondering which is the best option i live on the graigue side of carlow would joining and exiting at the castledermot junction or tinryland junction be quickest

castledermot would be far quicker for you

xeroshero wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've had conflicting reports - I'm from Dublin, living in Carlow - (how) will this new road affect/help me???

it will take roughly 15 minutes off your drive to or from dublin.
    you no longer have to go into castledermot. you join the M9 at prumlestown at motorway all the way to dubland

took me 20 minutes from maxol on o'brien rd to the kilcullen exit.
    deadly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

ShayK1 wrote: »
    deadly!!!

excellent cant wait for a spin on it now thanks for advice on castledermot junction:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

This is the best news iv heard all yr No doubt the Gardai will have a field day on the new stretch for a time :D but i suppose with the limit being 120km they wont catch many Lol

deaglan169 wrote: »
    excellent cant wait for a spin on it now thanks for advice on castledermot junction:D

No prob. If you think about it, exiting at Castledermot leaves you around 7km from Carlow and if you come in the Dublin Rd, you can get to the graigue side Carlow by using the ring rd.
    If you were to go to Tinyrland you'd be on the motorway for an extra 12km and you'd still be well around 5km outside of Carlow and the wrong side of Carlow at that.

Just off the new off here now and took 40 mins in morning traffic to get from Tinryland to Newlands and that was keeping it within speed limits all the way.

takes approx 20 minutes off my overall commute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

the OH text to say 30mins from askea to Naas this morning, cutting 15/20 mins of her journey she reckons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

deadly!!!

guess who has a heavy foot ??

It took me 20 mins from the N7/N9 interchange to Castledermot off ramp...

lucylu wrote: »
    guess who has a heavy foot ??

It took me 20 mins from the N7/N9 interchange to Castledermot off ramp...

guess who drives slow???? :P

28Km @ 120Kph = 14mins
    7km @ 80kph = < 6mins

Do I need a heavy foot?

guess who drives slow???? :P

28Km @ 120Kph = 14mins
    7km @ 80kph = < 6mins

Do I need a heavy foot?

On a brand new road that was frozen for a few days with max 2 saltings. (yesterday & last night)

I'm embarrased for you :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Many Gardaí doing speed checks on it?
    just..you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

On a brand new road that was frozen for a few days with max 2 saltings. (yesterday & last night)

one salting is enough.

I'm embarrassed for you. :o

None on it this morning between 9.30 and 10 or last last night between 9 and 10pm.

SV wrote: »
    Many Gardaí doing speed checks on it?
    just..you know.

Don't think you'll need to be looking out for Gardaì if people don't learn to use the driving lane instead of the bloody overtaking lane on it..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Don't be

It is not 80km from all the way from the off Ramp to the Maxol on O'Brien Road. what about the 60 km from Merek.

Testicle :o

http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/RoadWeatherInformationSystem/

Salt does not act immediately when it is spread on existing ice or snow. Hence the need for precautionary salting. The ice or snow surrounding each salt granule has to be turned into a saline solution. The action of traffic is essential by moving the salt granules around and eventually melting all the ice or snow. On more lightly trafficked roads the surface will remain icy for some time after salting.
    It must therefore be stressed that the spreading of salt does not mean that the road surface will instantly become ice-free. In freezing or near-freezing conditions, always drive with great care even if the road has been salted.

Boys slow down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I think i'm in love...drove the road last night. 7/8 mins from castledermot to mullaghmast...even in middle of the night it was 20 from carlow to castledermot, so that will cut about 5 mins from my journey.

Can't wait to drive it during the day so I can figure out where I am along the road.

There was a garda car on one of the bridges tho, just before came off at castledermot. He was facing towards carlow and appeared to be just sitting there. Probly scoping out a good hiding spot!

Advertisement