Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The new M9, verdict?

• 21-12-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

I went up and down it today.

Pros:

1) on the way up it was fine. People going slow stayed in the inside lane. I was easily able to over take people and nip back into the inside lane.

2) road surface is very good. There's one or two small parts on the north bound side that felt a little rough as I went over them.

3) It's well sign posted.

Cons:

1) On the way down around 18:10 or there abouts just past the kilcullen/athy turn off there was people doing the stupidest things. it's bad enough that the weather is rubbish but idiots doing 80Kph in the overtaking lane is purely insane. GET OUT OF IT.

2) It's a little bit disconcerting when you get to Carlow, you hit it all of a sudden.

instructions: Take exit 4 which will bring you onto the old N9/Castledermot/Carlow road. I missed it (was doing 140Kph and Just winged it past it).

3) it's a little bit windy, normally motorways are very straight with slight bends. Considering this road could have taken any route, they could have made it a bit straighter!

Over all I enjoyed the drive on it. Good job to us all for getting it opened on time.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Seems like you already have your verdict there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Just looking for others opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I thought it was great. Bye bye Castledermot...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Oh righty, my apologies :o

I'm not out that way, so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There was me expecting pictures of a new mysterious BMW. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

How can you judge a motorway by the "idiots doing 80Kph in the overtaking lane"?

part of the "overall driving experience" mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...seeing as you're on about it, travelled the new M6 in/out of Galway a few times since Friday, only one word: astonishing.

Pros:
    Astonishingly good that is. I have to say, and I've driven in a lot of places, but the road surface is the smoothest, quietest I've ever experienced. No soft spots, or odd blends/transitions from top coat to top coat, anywhere. My 16yr old car was completely silent: goes to show, our other road are complete and utter ****e. And here was I thinking I'd gone deaf....:p

Interestingly, someone who drove all the way to Dublin and back today told me that the newer section is measurably better in quality than that a bit further up the road...........just goes to show all is not apples and apples in road construction, either. If all roads in Spain are like this, I know where I'm retiring to.......

Cons:
    The access roads off the actual on/off ramps, are shockingly bad. The top coat has completely lifted/marbled/spalled on the access roads nearest the contractor's own offices, which is ironic ..........and my car sounds 16 all over again !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...seeing as you're on about it,

Dont think anybody was to be honest. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Snakeyes

your a bit of a donkey doing 140kph... we've waited so longfor this new road and to openly admit a breach of the speed limit without a care is sad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No name calling. Take the time to read the charter please.

Snakeyes wrote: »
    your a bit of a donkey doing 140kph... we've waited so longfor this new road and to openly admit a breach of the speed limit without a care is sad.

I was over taking a donkey. Had to speed up a wee bit. We all know that our speedos don't reflect reality over 100Kph. I was probably doing around 128kph which IMO is ok for over taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Snakeyes

Snakeyes wrote: »

that is directed to flamegrill who should know better.
    :cool:
    Drove Kilcullen to exit 5 Bunclody today...22 MINS doing 100kph to 120kph.

Road is a dream, so smoooooth.
    I like the slow twists in it.. which allows great vision ahead..
    One knows how many vehicles are coming into view.

I must have passed 8 big articulated trucks which would have stacked up at Castle-D'.

With the Kilcullen cones gone, it will take 25minutes to Naas from Entry Point 4 at your leisure.

It may only be 15min Quicker to Dublin but no more Friday eve mayhem and I bet the regular driver's won't be as tired out come the wk/end..
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

If the could find some way to stop the bottle neck at the Ball in Naas on a Friday evening, it would be great.

Advertisement