Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns still waiting for a bypass

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Newcastle, Co. Dublin has a bypass in the pipeline but God knows when it'll ever be built. The Main Street can get very heavy with traffic heading from Tallaght/South Dublin to Celbridge direction (and vice versa). It's called a "link road" on the SDCC website but it'll form a bypass of the main street effectively. The village would benefit hugely from this very short scheme as it would tie in directly with an existing road (built by the Greenogue Industrial Estate developer). For maximum benefit they'll need to complete out to Hazalhatch (I think a new canal crossing is in the development plan).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Slane in Co.Meath definitely needs a bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Slane in Co.Meath definitely needs a bypass

Yeah, but is that East-West (N52) or North-South (N2)?

Bet you'll say both.

But, which one would you give priority to? North-South traffic is surely "encouraged" (through the non-existence of a bypass) to use the M1?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

N2 would be the priority I think. Mainly because I use it daily :D

The amount of lorries which go through the town daily is a joke. Not to mention how many people just keep going after lights have turned red. This evening, the lights went amber as I was going through (entering from the Ashbourne side heading into the town). The car behind me stopped. Next thing, 4 cars then pull out, go past the car that stopped and come up behind me. Not the first time thats happened either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Slane shouldnt be an issue, the reason its so bad is because its the route for M1 toll dodging. Its a reasonable alternative to the M1.

Thats why it hasnt been sorted yet, its reasonably close to Dublin and say the same distance as Enfield. Technically it should have gotten only slightly less priority than Enfield, and certainly higher priority than parts of the M9 (or the Tullamore bypass for instance).

Its being kept crappy to force people to use the M1 toll.

There is a DC bypass (probably 2+2???) planned, but no idea when of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought the Slane Bypass plans were still WS2 with an intent to redo them as DC? Its been planned and ready to go to CPO as WS2 for well over a decade...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Two more bite the dust and into the history books this week;

-Waterford (N25) opened yesterday
    -Tullamore (N52/80) due to open Friday. One that seems to have slipped off the radar and been progressing away nicely indeed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mfitzy wrote: »
    Two more bite the dust and into the history books this week;

-Waterford (N25) opened yesterday
    -Tullamore (N52/80) due to open Friday. One that seems to have slipped off the radar and been progressing away nicely indeed.
    Yea Tullamore is a big surprise. It wasn't supposed to open for another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yea Tullamore is a big surprise. It wasn't supposed to open for another year.

wow didn't know that. It seemed to go up overnight in fairness to them.

Visit parents in area and it wasn't noticable one minute, a site entrance next time then a bridge on my road going up, then bridge was built next time I was home and now its opening.

Amazing progress really, don't know how they managed it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not forgetting the partial opening of the Barna Bypass in County Galway in recent weeks. The rest of it looks like a goer in ummmmm ehmmmmmm 2034 or so .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Bumpity bump!

I guess with Tullamore (nearly - still needs N80 extension) and Waterford sorted, we now have some more to focus on. Im not counting Galway because there are very few journeys en route to a city that you need to skip Galway to complete. Maybe Clifden-Dublin...

Is there any traffic bottlenecks i am missing. Trying to sort them in order of badly needed

Nearly Done
    Abbeyleix
    Mountrath
    Ballinasloe

No word of bypass yet
    Birr
    Longford(N5)
    Ballaghadreen(N5)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No word of bypass yet
    Birr
    Longford(N5)
    Ballaghadreen(N5)

Only the first one of these is properly 'no word', the other two have fairly advanced plans. Longford's is basically ready to go to CPO, the only problem is that they're planning to rebypass Longford on the N4 and I don't know how they intend to tie in the N5 bypass to this - must look at the emerging route corridor to see where the link road/junction is going to be.

Ballaghadreen had a CPO approved for it late last year. Presumably they've not actually bought the land, though. Can't find if it was planned to be normal S2 or WS2.

A Birr bypass would have to be an Ennis style 'three sides of a ring road' job, probably starting up where the N52/N62 meet and going all the way around to the N52 the other side of the town.

edit: Doing some digging there, seems that Longford County Council were still proceeding with some prelim work for the N5 bypass this summer - tender for ground investigations for one thing. This might suggest they've CPOed the land?

Nice to see Borris in ossary nicely bypassed for Rathdowney side traffic now as part of the M7 Scheme :D. Was a pleasant surprise the other day.

MYOB, it would be nice to think Longford could finally be completely bypass ed for the N5. I doubt it could be that costly.

mfitzy wrote: »

MYOB, it would be nice to think Longford could finally be completely bypass ed for the N5. I doubt it could be that costly.

I've a feeling its low single millions for the total build - someone here has suggested it could easily be thrown in as a token start for 2010 as its one of if not the shortest scheme on the NRAs lists at the moment.

I can't find where its meant to come out on the existing N4 bypass, but the link from the planned Mullingar-Longford scheme will come in on to the second roundabout from Dublin on the existing bypass so it looks like the N5 eventually may run around most of the existing bypass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Adare
    Birr
    Longford
    Thurles
    Roscrea
    NCW/Abbeyfeale

Are on the high list. These are big towns stil on busy through roads.

mysterious wrote: »
    Adare
    Birr
    Longford
    Thurles
    Roscrea
    NCW/Abbeyfeale

Are on the high list. These are big towns stil on busy through roads.

Adare has to be top of that list imo. Longford could be done fairly cheaply. Another thread here on the possibility of re-routing the N5 to tie up with the N4 in Leitrim somewhere; which makes great sense. But Longford still needs the bypass/relief road.

By years end a load of villages and towns on the N9 will be history too as the M9 bypasses them;
    Mullinavat
    Ballyhale/Knocktopher
    Stoneyford
    Thomastown (Thank God ;))
    Castledermot (Double Thank God!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭medoc

MYOB wrote: »
    A Birr bypass would have to be an Ennis style 'three sides of a ring road' job, probably starting up where the N52/N62 meet and going all the way around to the N52 the other side of the town.

Not if the N52 to Borrisokane was downgraded.

There were two "routes" under consideration a couple of years ago. The Western route had objections from Tipp north local councillors in the Riverstown area and objections within Birr town council. If the western route was chosen it would pass the N52 on the way to the N62. The eastern route would make more sense from a long distance point of view in been more direct

Taken from the Midland Tribune archive on Birrnet.
    http://www.birrnet.com/archive_news/news_data_2Qtr07.htm
    14/06/2007
    Councillors Postpone Final Decision On Birr Bypass

Councillors failed to come to a decision about the proposed Birr Bypass during the June meeting of the local Town Council. After a lengthy discussion on the matter it was decided to put off resolving the issue until a future meeting, perhaps in July or September. The problem was the councillors had a choice of two bypass routes before them and they couldn't come down definitively for either one or the other. The Council Executive was advising them to opt for the Eastern Route. A couple of the councillors thought, however, that the Western Route would be the preferred option. Birr now has a severe traffic problem and badly needs a bypass. However the construction date for the bypass will be in 12 to 15 years time and by that stage the town's traffic problem will have worsened. The traffic is heaviest on Fridays. The proposed Eastern Route is 10.6km in length, has seven roundabouts and a bridge. County Planner Vincent Hussey said there were a number of reasons he was advising that they opt for the Eastern Route and these were that it crosses the Camcor without needing embankments; most of the town is east of the Little Brosna; there are four bridges on the Camcor; it uses good agricultural land; avoids existing areas of development and areas of architectural / historical significance; it realigns the N62 south of Birr; provides better service to traffic bypassing Birr; serves traffic moving in and around the town better. The Western Route is 11.8km and has seven roundabouts and two bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Seven roundabouts, for gods sake.

Wheras GSJs would obviously be utter overkill here, perhaps a few good old fashioned crossroads would be better?

Edit: At least they have some sense -
    Birr now has a severe traffic problem and badly needs a bypass. However the construction date for the bypass will be in 12 to 15 years time and by that stage the town's traffic problem will have worsened.

At least they're not kidding themselves about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Chris we can still build things drop the recession thinking. Recession thinking creates recessions. I have to pull you up on it. Your always going on about it "How much this is how much that is, how much money t is will cost, how much that will cost, this is to expensive, oh it will be 40 years before we build that lol, no chance in that getting built lads"

It's making me nauseous, please please try and think outside the elites power trips. The Money system is an illusion. The Money always exists the illusion is we are told it runs out or it's plentifuil, just the banks and powers of be are trying to weaken us by causing econmic turmoil. The real illlusion is we don't realise that nature is the ruler of the world not money.

Take control for your reality. Like I do and others. We can still build these roads. We can still find ways of getting things done. And we can still find away of gettng up tomorrow. Money isn't everything.

I had to post this, Cus Chris your always whingeing about money on these threads, talk about killing every project out there with the sight of these poignant viewpoints.

"we are doomed in the world crash"

We are not doomed and we are not going to be at the mercy of the elites. I'm going out of my way doing tree planting and getting back to nature. You don't need massive funds to these things.

If it got so bad, we could all form an organisation and instead of turning to the government to build these roads we could form a committee and bind contracts ourselves at a local level. I ust can't deal with this pessimistic view where we just sit around and do nothing for 20 years because there is no money to do anything. This is just futile.

Guess we can add Ballinasloe, Craughwell to the list now.

And Castledermot on Monday afternoon- surely one of the worst in the country soon to be gone. Will never see an evening weekday rush hour again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Recession thinking creates recessions.

It was boom boll1x thinking that created this recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mysterious wrote: »
    Chris we can still build things drop the recession thinking. Recession thinking creates recessions. I have to pull you up on it. Your always going on about it "How much this is how much that is, how much money t is will cost, how much that will cost, this is to expensive, oh it will be 40 years before we build that lol, no chance in that getting built lads"

It's making me nauseous, please please try and think outside the elites power trips. The Money system is an illusion. The Money always exists the illusion is we are told it runs out or it's plentifuil, just the banks and powers of be are trying to weaken us by causing econmic turmoil. The real illlusion is we don't realise that nature is the ruler of the world not money.

Take control for your reality. Like I do and others. We can still build these roads. We can still find ways of getting things done. And we can still find away of gettng up tomorrow. Money isn't everything.

I had to post this, Cus Chris your always whingeing about money on these threads, talk about killing every project out there with the sight of these poignant viewpoints.

"we are doomed in the world crash"

We are not doomed and we are not going to be at the mercy of the elites. I'm going out of my way doing tree planting and getting back to nature. You don't need massive funds to these things.

If it got so bad, we could all form an organisation and instead of turning to the government to build these roads we could form a committee and bind contracts ourselves at a local level. I ust can't deal with this pessimistic view where we just sit around and do nothing for 20 years because there is no money to do anything. This is just futile.
    Ireland has no iron ore and no steel mill (anymore). Where do we get the reinforcing for bridges and so on to build motorways without money to pay for it? Are you going to pay British Steel in potatoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JPW1981

Why didnt they just run the motorway right over castledermot? God dammit it is one horrible **** hole. 20 years of boom and look at it. Boarded up shops and businesses. Last time I was there I could've swore I saw some tumbleweed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fitzeyboy

JPW1981 wrote: »
    Why didnt they just run the motorway right over castledermot? God dammit it is one horrible **** hole. 20 years of boom and look at it. Boarded up shops and businesses. Last time I was there I could've swore I saw some tumbleweed.

so true. thanks be to feck I never have to look at that half burned down boarded up mess of a pub by the traffic lights again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Bumping this as its a decent-ish tracker

Adare and Claregalway remain after all these years.

<Parish pump>
    Some day Id like to see some sort of roughly N62-N55 upgrade to bypass (amounst others) maybe S2

Thurles
    Templemore
    Roscrea (N62 route)
    Birr
    Cloghan
    Ferbane
    Ballinahown
    Ballykeeran
    Glasson
    Ballymahon
    Edgeworthstown (N55)
    Granard