Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have played both soccer and gaelic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Mullet wrote: »
    Mick Deegan Played Senior football for dublin and in the Irish league for Coleraine "i think".

Crusaders. And I've a feeling there may have been another member of the Dublin panel up there with him. Could be totally wrong but I seem to remember a news item about two players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

ollaetta wrote: »
    Don't forget Dinny Allen before him. Cork Hibs and the county team.

And he played a few league games with Cork hurlers too.

He once scored a 'header' in a Gaelic match (I think for his club Nemo) and the ref disallowed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

eigrod wrote: »
    And he played a few league games with Cork hurlers too.

He once scored a 'header' in a Gaelic match (I think for his club Nemo) and the ref disallowed it :D

lol would not have been surprised to hear that.

good story

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

blackbelt wrote: »
    Martin O Neill current Aston Villa manager had won an All Ireland Under 21 Final with Down.

Is Martin O Neill not a Derry man?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

i think dj carey played for kilkenny city at one point. could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Ger Houlahan - Armagh & Sligo Rovers
    Gary Murphy - Longford & Longford Town
    Johnny Kenny - Sligo & Sligo Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LinoRichie

simultaneously.

Jason Sherlock, Dublin amd Shamrock Rovers
    Stephen Cluxton was in one of the championship managers. think he might have been with pat's
    Michael(MEHALL) slimmermann sligo under21 goalkeeper played for sligo rovers last season against bohs

anyone else?
    me - i've played both

EI111 wrote: »
    i think dj carey played for kilkenny city at one point. could be wrong

Not so sure about that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Conditioned

blackbelt wrote: »
    Martin O Neill current Aston Villa manager had won an All Ireland Under 21 Final with Down.

Martin O'Neill was from Derry. He played underage with Derry, but the height of his gaelic football career was playing in the McRory club final with St. Malachys.

I remember attending an event that Micheál O Muircheartaigh was speaking at and he talked about the importance of the club.

He talked about a conversation he had with Martin O'Neill who he knew from his days playing with St.Malachys. He said that Martins father never had a gra for soccer and never really got over the fact that he stopped playing gaelic football to go play professional soccer!

Martin brought him over for the the European final, i think the 1980 one, and afterwards he went to chat him in the hotel thinking that he'd be impressed after all his son was after winning arguably the greatest competition in club soccer in one of the greatest stadiums in the world. He sat down beside his father and asked him "well Da, what'd ya think of that?"

There was a pause for a minute and then he said "Son, its all grand and that but it'll never compare to winning a senior championship with your club.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Not so sure about that one

im not either i'll try to find out

Edit:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article1018216.ece

I knew I had heard something about it, I thought he had played a few league games though to be honest. Must have been the hype I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phili_g

Ger Houlihan played full forward for Armagh and centre forward for Sligo Rovers

He scooped the ball over the bar with no goalie to beat from 6 yards when the game was 1-1 in the Cup Winners Cup against Club Brugge

Still haven't forgiven him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is not confined to modern times.

Con Martin snr played Gaelic football with St. Maurs in Rush, Aer Corps and soccer with Drumcondra before he went to Aston Villa. Part of Irish team that beat England 2..0 at Goodison in 1948. (
    Ireland were the first team to travel over seas and beat England not the mighty Magyers Hungary in 1954)

Joe McGuinness played for St. Maurs and won a Leinster junior medal with Dublin and I think an O'Byrne cup medal. He also had trials with Aston Villa and scored in a match for them (mid 80s)

Stephen McPhail who plays for Cardiff City was a brillant Gaelic player and the week before he went to Leeds he scored 2 frees off the ground from outside the 45 AT AN u/15 Dublin trial. Stephen has been unwell but hopefully is doing well now.

Did Graham Geraghty have trials with an English club? Shane Long Tipp and Reading.
    Tony Grelish London and Q.P.R.
    Did Kieran Duff have trial under Dave Sexton for Man Utd? Mickey Sheehy have trial with Arsenal?
    Peter Withnall for football for Down and soccer for both Newry and Dundalk.

LeoB wrote: »
    Did Graham Geraghty have trials with an English club?

Arsenal, and apparently (probably urban myth) Paul Merson or someone reckoned Geraghty was the fittest player he'd ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Arsenal, and apparently (probably urban myth) Paul Merson or someone reckoned Geraghty was the fittest player he'd ever seen

It's true according to this.

http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2005/mar/27/back-to-the-battlefield/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I presume Merse wasn't just comparing Geraghty to himself at that stage? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Not an urban myth, nor the first time a top level full time soccer player made that assertion about a gaa player. Alan Shearer couldn't believe Larry Tompkins was an amateur sportsman when they both attended the Lilleshall Rehabilitation Centre after knee surgery. Tompkins outscored him on every single test.

Back on topic. Anymore who have played GAA and soccer at the same time? Most Irish soccer players have played GAA at some point, but anymore to do them both together? That immediately rules out anyone playing soccer abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Remember talking to Kevin Moran and Mick Martin back in mid 80s and they reckoned at the time inter county G.A.A players were much fitter than professional soccer players when G.A.A.A players were in Championship mode. However it was for a shorter period of time as the soccer lads woulds be in good shape from Aug/ Sept to the following May/ June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Shane McWeeney who is in QPR's current first team squad, also played Gaelic Football for Tir Chonaill Gaels in London. Ex Ireland international David Connolly played both hurling and Gaelic Football at an underage level in London, before choosing a career in soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Xabi Alonso studied English in Meath in the summer of 1995 as a foreign exchange student. Bit sketchy on the details but apparently one evening him and a gang of Irish and spanish teenagers were hanging around a gaa club where a well known meath inter-county star was practising long distance frees. Now Alonso was something of a prodigy even then having represented spain at u 14,15 and 16 levels. He was dared by a few host teenagers to try his hand at a few long range frees and the meath star was stunned as he calmy stroked over the o neills ball from the 45 yard line on the touchline. With his left foot!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Kenteach wrote: »
    Back on topic. Anymore who have played GAA and soccer at the same time? Most Irish soccer players have played GAA at some point, but anymore to do them both together? That immediately rules out anyone playing soccer abroad!

Not that these two are exactly 'house hold' names, however had the 'pleasure' of marking Jonathon Douglas in a junior B match during the summer,He said was easier than running the roads to keep fit over they summer.
    Just to add insult to the injury, their centre Mark Connolly is an academy player with Wolves. Lets say they both sublime at that level.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=113637

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I'm nearly sure Richie Foran, currently playing with Inverness Caledonian Thistle, was playing a bit of junior football with Joeys O'Connell Boys during the summer a few years back. Could be mistaken though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

I don't think he had made a name for himself at the time (in fact I can't imagine the club allowing it if he had), but Ian Harte came back for a number of championship matches after heading over to Leeds. He was a wonderful gaelic footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

An Citeog wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure Richie Foran, currently playing with Inverness Caledonian Thistle, was playing a bit of junior football with Joeys O'Connell Boys during the summer a few years back. Could be mistaken though.

Perhaps it was O'Tooles, think he got in trouble with his club over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Was there not a big row in Cork about 2 or 3 lads playing socer in winter during the early to mid eighties, I seem to remember that numptie may have been involved

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

Off topic but in Japan for the 2002 world cup, Prior to the Ireland v Germany game irish officals saw some German scouts at one of the irish training sessions and Mick McCarthy told the lads to play gaelic football instead of soccer much to the bemusement of the japanese and germans present.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Paddyontherun

Gerry McElhinny played for Derry and went on to play for Bolton and Northern Ireland. Gerry Armstrong (Spurs Watford and N IRE) played for Antrim. Jimmy Barry Murphy played for Cork Celtic. His son palys in the English First Division and presumably played GAA at some stage. I also remember hearing at some stage that Barney Rock had a trial at Leeds as a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

alkev wrote: »
    kevin moran man. u and dubs . Two all irelands and Fa cups
    Kevin Moran must surely be the only man to have won an FA Cup medal and an All Ireland senior ?

( BTW, I think he was the first man ever to be sent off in an FA Cup final ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

McArmalite wrote: »
    Kevin Moran must surely be the only man to have won an FA Cup medal and an All Ireland senior ?

( BTW, I think he was the first man ever to be sent off in an FA Cup final ? )

Yes he was

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Steve Staunton won a Louth senior football medal at the age of 16 or 17.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Perhaps it was O'Tooles, think he got in trouble with his club over it.
    Pretty sure it was O' Connells. And yes he got into trouble over. think Terry Butcher was his manager at the time. As did Mick Deegan and Charlie Redmond who played for tolka Rovers in FAI Junior cup final against wishes of dublin management years ago.

Advertisement